Hank Mobley late period standard ballads?

Soul Stream

I love hearing late period Hank play a standard ballad. However, seems like most of the ballad playing he did in this period are of originals.

Can anyone help me find Hank playing standard ballads in his late Blue Note period, either on his or other's albums?

Thanks.

Edited by Soul Stream

Also check out the Wynton Kelly gig from November 1967 that was issued on VeeJay Japan and reissued by Fresh Sound.

Mobley plays ballads like 'How Deep Is the Ocean', 'Speak Low' and 'If You Could See Me Now' on that one.

I've got that, but my issue doesn't have "How Deep Is The Ocean" on it. However, SPeak Low is uptempo on that. Thanks for the recommendations. :D

What's the origin of "There's A Lull In My Life"?

Off the top of my head, the only other version that I have is by Johnny Hartman, on Roost. That album's strong on Sinatra-associated material, but I don't know of Frank ever singing this one.

What's the origin of "There's A Lull In My Life"?

Off the top of my head, the only other version that I have is by Johnny Hartman, on Roost. That album's strong on Sinatra-associated material, but I don't know of Frank ever singing this one.

Info from the Classic Movie Musicals website:

"Wake Up and Live" 20th Century-Fox, 1937, B/W, 91 minutes

A comedy based on the well-known, real-life feud between columnist Walter Winchell and bandleader Ben Bernie (both playing themselves). Singers Eddie Kane (Jack Haley) and Jean Roberts (Grace Bradley) manage to get an audition with Winchell, but things definitely go amiss when Kane faints from stage fright. Later, Eddie lands a job as tour guide at the radio station, where he meets "Wake Up and Live" advice program host Alice Huntley (Alice Faye). Learning of Eddie's botched audition, Alice suggests that he practice his act in an empty studio with a "dead" microphone. So, he does that, but unbeknownst to him the microphone is actually on, and his voice is broadcast live to the entire nation. Everyone loves the voice, now dubbed "The Phantom Troubadour," and the hunt is on to find out just who this guy is! Loads of laughs and plenty of music.

Producer: Kenneth MacGowan

Director: Sidney Lanfield

Screenplay: Harry Tugend and Jack Yellen

(based on an original story by Curtis Kenyon and the book by Dorothea Brande)

Music Director: Louis Silvers

Song Score: Harry Revel and Mack Gordon

Choreography: Jack Haskell

Art Director: Mark-Lee Kirk

Edited by DukeCity

I've got the Baker, Cole, Hartman, O'Day, and Fitzgerald (two) versions of "Lull". Ella did it on her ballad album with Getz and the Frank DeVol orch for Verve- "Like Someone In Love", which is how I became acquainted with it.

I See Your Face Before Me from "Dippin'' is one of my favorite Mobley ballad performances from ANY period.

There's also "The Good Life" from "Straight No Filter".

Not sure what "late period" means. I reckon anything after the '50s is late period. So there's "If I should lose you" from "Soul Station", "Hello young lovers" and "Three coins in a fountain" from "Another workout" and "The more I see you" from "Roll Call".

As a sideman, there are

I wish I knew - from Freddie Hubbard's "Goin' up"

Stella by Starlight - from Grant Green's "I want to hold your hand" - done slightly up, but still retaining its ballad feel - my favourite version of the song

And there's "Corcovado" and "At long last love" on the same album

Ill wind - from Lee Morgan's "Cornbread"

I got it bad and that ain't good - from Donald Byrd's "Mustang" - can't offhand remember if Hank solos on this; perhaps he doesn't

What now my love - From Lee Morgan's "The Rajah" - another one I can't remember Hank's solo

That seems to be it, apart from what's already been posted.

MG

Should have mentioned earlier the 'Summertime' that Mobley plays on the Cedar Walton 'Breakthrough' album, practically his final date.

Dan posted that earlier. I thought it WAS his last recording. What came afterwards?

MG

I should not have missed Dan's post :o

Mobley's final appearance on record is his guest appearance on the Tete Montoliu 'I Wanna Talk About You' March 1980 session for SteepleChase. Never heard that one but I understand it is a sad farewell!

Should have mentioned earlier the 'Summertime' that Mobley plays on the Cedar Walton 'Breakthrough' album, practically his final date.

Dan posted that earlier. I thought it WAS his last recording. What came afterwards?

MG

I should not have missed Dan's post :o

Mobley's final appearance on record is his guest appearance on the Tete Montoliu 'I Wanna Talk About You' March 1980 session for SteepleChase. Never heard that one but I understand it is a sad farewell!

Thanks.

MG