I heard Andy Bey last night.....

fasstrack

He is really a trip, and that rarest of rare birds, a true original.

His whole group, not just him, was conversing on a level of trust and listening that's hard to describe. And he set the tone. I can't really say much more, but if you ever get a chance to catch him live, do. It'll be nothing less than interesting. It also might just blow your mind like it did mine.

He is really a trip, and that rarest of rare birds, a true original.

His whole group, not just him, was conversing on a level of trust and listening that's hard to describe. And he set the tone. I can't really say much more, but if you ever get a chance to catch him live, do. It'll be nothing less than interesting. It also might just blow your mind like it did mine.

What kind of group is he working with? What tunes did he perform? Where did you see him?

What kind of group is he working with? What tunes did he perform? Where did you see him?

Quartet: himself; guitar (Paul Meyers), bass (Japanese name, been w/group at least 2 years), drums (Gerald Clemmons)

Standards, some jazz pieces, bossas, anything, really *

Jazz Standard (thru Sunday)

* He can take anything and make it his own, which is my point. He took me out of my own comfort zone, which for the last few years has been presenting melodies pretty much as-is then going for in-the-moment blowing. He's a human rubber band, stretching forms. He's also a human boot, stepping on assumptions like they were so many roaches.

He really takes the listener (and the band) on a trip and you have to pay close attention or he'll lose you. He lost me a couple of times and I'm a professional. If that's the case, Lord only knows how the non-playing fan reacted. They really seemed to dig it, though, which is a testament to his incredible ability to communicate on his own terms. Like I said, he's an original and mind-blowing.

Edited by fasstrack

I've only seen him once - in a solo setting - but I've followed his career since the 70's w/Gary Bartz' Ntu Troop. It's true that he's absolutely an original - nothing like him. I like the "rubber band" analogy.

I believe they did a Ntu Troop reunion of sorts a year or two ago in Europe. It would be great to see those tunes performed live.

Needless to say, other stuff worth checking out includes his contribution to Horace Silver's "United States of Mind" trilogy, recently re-released as a 2-fer on BN. Also some nice vocalizations with Dee Dee Bridgewater on Stanley Clarke's first album - "Children of Forever".

I've only seen him once - in a solo setting - but I've followed his career since the 70's w/Gary Bartz' Ntu Troop.

Wow. I never even heard of that band.

I think the wildest aspect of Andy is definitely his piano playing. There's no way to describe it. You just have to hang on every weird note and listen for sudden hairpin turns.

I'm a friend of the guitar player in the band, Paul Meyers. He introduced me to Andy and to talk to him is like listening to him perform. He seems likeable and with a devilish sense of humor.

I reminded him that I played a tune or two with him once at Barry Harris' Jazz Cultural Theater over 20 years ago. We were talking about that place and how great it was.

I probably was too young and stupid back then to realize what a formidable talent I was even jamming with that night. I knew his name, at least (whoopdie f'in' doo...) and I do recall through the haze of memory and dearly departed brain cells that he sang as well as played.

Edited by fasstrack