Cecil Payne

B. Goren.

What a great baritone player Cecil Payne is!!! I think he can stand in the same line with Pepper Adams, Mulligan, Serge Chaloff and some other great names of the jazz history. His recordings for Delmark are among my favorite recordings of the 90's. BTW: He sounds great also on flute. Another good reason to listen to his Delmark recordings is the great Harold Mabern who's doing a perfect job. Even Eric Alexander who never was my favorite tenor player sounds good when he plays with Payne. Any other Payne's fans here???

258946.jpg312667.jpg

Edited by B. Goren.

Count me in as a Cecil Payne fan!

Indeed, his Delmarks are constantly good ones, not just for Payne's playing, which has less chops than he had in the 50s, but also for the excellent sidemen he got.

Eric Alexander is great on all those Delamrks, and I also think he was somewhat responsible for the reemergence of Payne in the 90s.

The following 2 Delmarks are also recommended:

d15102t562e.jpge71418ijwee.jpg

I think the only Payne I've got (apart from in my back) is with Jimmy Smith, on "Six views of the blues", which has a bit of a strange sound to it. But Cecil's playing is very nice on that, though I prefer Leo Parker, Leroy "Hog" Cooper & Ronnie Cuber.

Those Delmarks that have been posted look interesting. Can I see Marcus Belgrave's name on "Scotch & milk"?

MG

Those Delmarks that have been posted look interesting. Can I see Marcus Belgrave's name on "Scotch & milk"?

MG

Indeed, you can. "Scotch and Milk" is an excellent CD. So too is "Chic Boom", which is the other Payne Delmark CD I have. I would recommend them both. A strong front line, of course, and the rhythm sections are really smokin' on these dates.

His sextet played The Kitano last night and a friend who was there tells me that he was wheeled in and despite the diminished lung capacity still gave a pretty strong performance.

Weizen, sounds like your friend had a better experience than sheldonm did on Wednesday night.

His sextet played The Kitano last night and a friend who was there tells me that he was wheeled in and despite the diminished lung capacity still gave a pretty strong performance.

Weizen, sounds like your friend had a better experience than sheldonm did on Wednesday night.

That's 'cause Mark was standing too close to him snapping 60 pics w/some monster flash and blinding the poor guy! :lol:

That's 'cause Mark was standing too close to him snapping 60 pics w/some monster flash and blinding the poor guy! :lol:

I thought he didn't use flash

.....I don't use flash and Cecil has actually gone blind over the past year or so; I'm not to blame for that! Although I was thrilled to see Cecil at the Kitano, he did not play well. Many short, painful solos and Cecil acknowledged to me that he was not playing well and hadn't played for the past couple months. It was a thrill to speak to him, wonderful guy. I belive Eric Alexander really loves this guy and is doing all he can to keep him playing. Cecil told me Eric gives him energy!

Anyway, here are a few images from the show.

m~