Marillion, Clutching At Straws

Guy Berger

I'm sure Jim would be surprised to know I've got a vinyl copy of "Misplaced Childhood" (1985) somewhere in the basement. Haven't listened to it in years, but I remember thinking of them as a kind of "Genesis Lite".

I also had Fish's solo effort ("Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors") back in college. :blink:

I'm sure Jim would be surprised to know I've got a vinyl copy of "Misplaced Childhood" (1985) somewhere in the basement. Haven't listened to it in years, but I remember thinking of them as a kind of "Genesis Lite".

They were definitely a Genesis lite band early on but developed more of an identity later on.

I also had Fish's solo effort ("Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors") back in college. :blink:

I picked up one of his solo albums, Sunsets on Empire, back in college as well. Not bad, not great.

Guy

I have that on CD somewhere, when someone told me, "Hey, you like Genesis? Then you'll love Marillion!!"

NOT!

:g

I have that on CD somewhere, when someone told me, "Hey, you like Genesis? Then you'll love Marillion!!"

NOT!

:g

It's worth downloading their song "Grendel" -- one of the first things they did, and hilariously awful. Especially when they plagiarize "Apocalypse in 9/8".

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up Marbles and I love it, great prog-rock, what other Marillion do I need to get? Feel free to make fun of me also for getting into prog-rock :P

PS: Is their Front Row Club worth the $$$$ to sign up for?

Edited by Matthew

Here are my recommendations. I agree with the "Genesis lite" comparison for the early releases, but they evolved into a solid, 'modern' rock group.

If you aren't familiar with the early recordings, the original singer Fish is quite a bit different than the singer on "Marbles", Steve Hogarth. He's very wordy, and used to wear makeup like Peter Gabriel. Drugs and in-fighting led to his departure, and they replaced him with Steve Hogarth, and changed direction. I think they were always more popular in Europe than in the U.S. in general.

I saw them in 1985 at the Rock Am Ring concert at the Nurburgring, and they put on a great show, must have been close to 100,000 at that concert.

Early Marillion/Fish:

Misplaced Childhood (probably their most well known, with "hits" Kayleigh & Lavender)

Clutching at Straws (solid follow up, swan song for Fish)

Later era/Hogarth:

Afraid of Sunlight (my favorite Marillion release)

Marbles

Anoraknophobia

Brave (concept album, trying to be this lineup's "Misplaced Childhood")

This Strange Engine (has its moments, but uneven)

marillion.com (also has its moments)

edit - I'm not in the Front Row Club. And actually I've unloaded alot of Marillion recordings over the past year or two, whittling my stash down to what I really like. I think the FRC is more for the hard core fans, and comprises various live recordings from their tours over the years (like the King Crimson Collector's Club). Marillion have 3-4 official live recordings already (La Gazza Ladra, Made Again, Anorak in the U.K., and Marbles Live - plus others on their website). If you get hooked enough to pick up all of the studio and official live stuff, you might consider the FRC.

Edited by Aggie87

Early Marillion/Fish:

Misplaced Childhood (probably their most well known, with "hits" Kayleigh & Lavender)

Clutching at Straws (solid follow up, swan song for Fish)

Later era/Hogarth:

Afraid of Sunlight (my favorite Marillion release)

Marbles

Anoraknophobia

Brave (concept album, trying to be this lineup's "Misplaced Childhood")

This Strange Engine (has its moments, but uneven)

marillion.com (also has its moments)

I agree about Afraid of Sunlight being their best. As far as the Fish era, I think Misplaced is overrated and (Im a minority about this) Fugazi is better.

Guy