Sonny Rollins -

Bright Moments

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At $10 this sounds like a decent offer actually. I'd like to buy this and support Sonny

directly but the CD would cost me ridiculous $29.95 including shipping to Germany...

It says they're selling mp3s, so that means no DRM crap - good.

Has anyone grabbed those files already? What bitrate did they use?

Bit rate is 56kbps - not that you'd find this out until after the download. Sound is awful. The jpeg of the sleeve that comes with the tracks is of some film on a Russian DVD! No download link was supplied and I had to send an email. All pretty shambolic.

I complained and they offered a refund, which I accepted. Incidentally they said I was the first to do so. Quite why they don't put the bitrate on the website I don't know.

Pass is my advice.

Hello. I'm the webmaster for Sonny Rollns' website. I have just re-encoded the MP3 files at 160k bit rate. I hope that works for you.

Hi Brett -

I'm interested in purchasing Sonny's cd, not the MP3 files.

Can you do some evaluation on your pricing and see if it can be brought down to "normal" prices? $25 shipped is a bit steep. $15 shipped or less seems to be the going rate for online purchases of this nature (see Dave Douglas' website, for an example of what you are competing with, pricewise).

Thanks!

Hi Brett -

I'm interested in purchasing Sonny's cd, not the MP3 files.

Can you do some evaluation on your pricing and see if it can be brought down to "normal" prices? $25 shipped is a bit steep. $15 shipped or less seems to be the going rate for online purchases of this nature (see Dave Douglas' website, for an example of what you are competing with, pricewise).

Thanks!

It'll be available through retail channels at a lower price soon.

Bret -

All quibbles & kinks aside, a big thank you for bringing Sonny into the cyber age. This may well be the homestretch, if you know what I mean, and it's encouraging to see that he's got somebody around him who both cares and knows. Doesn't always happen that way, now or then...

Bret -

All quibbles & kinks aside, a big thank you for bringing Sonny into the cyber age. This may well be the homestretch, if you know what I mean, and it's encouraging to see that he's got somebody around him who both cares and knows. Doesn't always happen that way, now or then...

Amen to that. It is fantastic that he is releasing new music - regardless of the format!

Thanks Bret.

Bret, I see that on August 25 in his Rifftides blog, Doug Ramsey mentioned your work on the Mosaic pamphlet of the Maynard Ferguson box. Congratulations!

Okay. The files have been re-encoded at the 192k bit rate!

If anyone purchased and got the files at a lower rate, please email me via the site and I will send the URL to upload the files encoded at a higher rate.

Thanks to Doug for his shoutout regarding the Ferguson Roulette Box. That was a difficult project, because Maynard wouldn't cooperate. He got ripped off my Morris Levy and never saw any royalties from the Roulette days.

I said screw it and bought the "premium priced" CD.

He has had a hot streak with his last 3-4 Milestone CDs and this one is no different.

I love Bobby Broom in place of the piano.

Sonny sounds great - chilling - and the tunes are good too.

I am no music critic, nor am I a musician, so I can't really describe in more technical terms, other than ...

.., this kicks ass :)

• 1 month later...

I received a press release about Sonny, Please today. It says in part:

Oct 9, 2006 — Tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins has just released Sonny, Please—his first studio recording in five years—on his own Doxy label, and has signed a licensing agreement with Universal Classics & Jazz International for worldwide distribution and marketing of the CD...

Universal Classics & Jazz International will release the CD digitally in America and Europe on November 21, with a traditional CD release date to follow on January 23, 2007...

Rollins recorded Sonny, Please shortly after returning from a sold-out Japanese tour in November 2005. The CD captures his working band “at a good pitch,” as he puts it. “Anytime you do a string of performances, it tightens up the ensemble, and the band was playing well—very high-powered. Toward the end of the tour, the group really began to come together, and as a result I began to be able to play much more fluently.”...

Rollins intends to use Doxy as a vehicle for releasing choice items from his extensive archives of live recordings...

“Before any archival materials come out on Doxy, however, I’d first like to do a new studio or live recording,” says Rollins. “Both are possibilities. I would definitely like to do some more playing before releasing any archival stuff.”...

I'm surprised that they won't release the hard copy CD before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday Doug Ramsey posted his review of Sonny, Please on his Rifftides blog:

Sonny Rollins, Sonny, Please (Doxy). A canny balance between new compositions and show tunes he loved in his youth. The great tenor saxophonist proves that since 2001's Without a Song, and following the loss of his wife two years ago, his strength, imagination and intensity are undiminished. Steady work together has finely attuned Rollins and his five bandmates. His solos, laced with allusions and quotes, are notably cheerful. Stephen Foster is on his mind. "Oh! Susannah" pops up on two tracks, and he summons "Old Folks at Home" on another. Of the new pieces, his tribute to Tommy Flanagan, "Remembering Tommy," should have the staying power to become a jazz standard. With this release on his own label, Rollins joins the ranks of musicians taking their business affairs into their own hands. Universal will distribute Sonny, Please as a digital download in November and a CD in January, but now it is available in both forms only through Rollins's web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Great disc. Huge sound. The title track "Sonny, Please" reminds me of where some of Fred Anderson came from. Sonny has a "worrying" sound on some of this, especially when he speeds up the line, but then will come back and hit a phrase with no vibrato, just nail everything pitch perfect, and then take off again. It's cool to hear how, at root, his bebop foundation still shines through -- there's a lot of other music coming out of the horn, his music, but he'll hit patches of bop vocabulary that are so freaking solid. Who talks through their instrument like that anymore? I mean pure bebop? Ira Sullivan on alto. It seems those code talkers are getting fewer and farther between.