Plastic inner sleeves

porcy62

Lately I bought a lot of classical vinyls, Decca, DG, etc.

All in perfect condition and at cheap price, they wouldn't need any cleaning.

But all them have the original plastic inner sleeves.

They delivered thousands of sticky invisible clicks on records, and a huge amount of static charge, a real pain in the ass to remove.

So if you know the name of the guy who invented it, and the address, please PM it to me. :angry::angry:

P.S. and if you know the name of the other guy who had the great idea to add a simil sponge in box sets, a selfdestroying object that contaminate the records like a virus, please add his name to the PM.

Edited by porcy62

So if you know the name of the guy who invented it, and the address, please PM it to me. :angry::angry:

P.S. and if you know the name of the other guy who had the great idea to add a simil sponge in box sets, a selfdestroying object that contaminate the records like a virus, please add his name to the PM.

Wow, you sound terribly agitated! I bet you're fixing to do something reaaaaal bad to that person.

Oh, before I forget -- his name is Chris Albertson. His e-mail address and home phone # is .........

Wow, you sound terribly agitated! I bet you're fixing to do something reaaaaal bad to that person.

Oh, before I forget -- his name is Chris Albertson. His e-mail address and home phone # is .........

A part to get back the costs of cleaning fluids and of my time, I would like to put him in a huge plastic inner sleeve full of simil sponge for at least twenty years

I don't think Chris had some spare time to invent such thing, he was too busy to write about political issues...

Edited by porcy62

I wonder if in fact the sleeves did not get wet at some point, as I've never noticed any problem with plastic sleeves.

I think it depends how the records were stored, temperature and humidity variations probably affected the plastic, we are talking of 30 years of storage, I doubt people keep records in a controlled enviromental, nor do I, but a MFSL, normal paper or rice paper inner sleeves preserve them during a normal usage and storage.

I noted this problem expecially with less used records. Decca's rock records are less affected by this. I presume the previous owners listen to them often and didn't leave them in shelves for long time.

I don't think that the plastic sleeves on many of the post-fifties LPs were meant to remain on the records, after we bought them. Vinyl does not fare well in a non-breathable sleeve, much as a fur coat will deteriorate in a plastic cover. Both require a breathable one.

It seems to me that records would even be better off in the cover with no inner sleeve, since the opening is to the back of your shelving. No, or at least little dust and dirt could penetrate, assuming that you take the record off the turntable and put it back in the cover, immediately.

So, I throw away plastic sleeves and keep the record just in the light cardboard cover.

But, if it has a paper sleeve, I keep that one and continue to use it.

Am I doing wrong?

Edited by patricia

I don't think that the plastic sleeves on many of the post-fifties LPs were meant to remain on the records, after we bought them. Vinyl does not fare well in a non-breathable sleeve, much as a fur coat will deteriorate in a plastic cover. Both require a breathable one.

It seems to me that records would even be better off in the cover with no inner sleeve, since the opening is to the back of your shelving. No, or at least little dust and dirt could penetrate, assuming that you take the record off the turntable and put it back in the cover, immediately.

So, I throw away plastic sleeves and keep the record just in the light cardboard cover.

But, if it has a paper sleeve, I keep that one and continue to use it.

Am I doing wrong?

Absolutely right. I usually replace the plastic inner sleeves with MFSL or similar sleeves, or rice paper sleeves or paper sleeves. Everything is better then plastic.

I dunno, paper sleeves on records that have been stored for 30 years seem to oxidize a bit and cause surface noise as well. Basically, most records sound like shit at the end of the day!

(this coming from a self-described vinyl junkie, but no junkie ever praises his shit...)

We do what we can. If we are careful with our records, not leaving them lying around, without any protection at all, putting them back in even just the cover, that's a step forward. IMO there is no way to totally protect our treasures from some age-produced deterioration, especially if they are just sitting there. We really can't get away from that. But the paper sleeve and the cover itself does help. Replacing the ratched paper, or plastic sleeves, even with homemade ones is not out of the question. It's easy and cheap. Just use the original as a template, taping three sides and, voila! Get some clean newprint paper from your local birdcage liner office, and clean moving company paper works too. You may have to give them some money, but that's OK. My late father had records which were decades old and most were in close to mint condition. He was absolutely obsessive about how he handled them [edges only]. He also paid a lot of attention to the condition of the needle and the turntable, making sure that they were regularly replaced and in the case of the turntable, clean. Dust and dirt are present in even the cleanest houses. So, it stands to reason that our record playing equipment and records would not be immune. But, it's surprising how much we can do.

Edited by patricia