The Legacy Lives On... 2 CD set

Jim R

I was rummaging through a bargain bin the other day (the "various artists" section, no less!!), and hit upon a gem. For $5, I got this 2-CD set called "The Legacy Lives On", on the Mack Avenue label, produced by Stix Hooper (Crusaders drummer). Recorded in LA back in 2000, Hooper brought together an all-star cast and dedicated the session to Sweets Edison, Milt Jackson, and Joe Williams.

The musicians on these sessions included Teddy Edwards, James Moody, Cedar Walton, Al McKibbon, Jon Hendricks, Pete Jolly, Ray Brown, Kenny Burrell, Shirley Horn, George Bohanon, Ernie Andrews, Roy McCurdy, Oscar Brashear, Stix, and a few others. The quality is really good, IMO, and I consider this a treasure- even if only for the four vocal tracks by the tragically under-recorded Jon Hendricks.

I'm curious if anybody else has this (or ever heard of it), and whether Hooper did any other projects like this on Mack Avenue or otherwise.

• 3 years later...

Up!

Because I found a few days ago a copy of 'Legacy Lives On II'.

Pleasant double CD with original material - recorded in 2000/2002 - by George Shearing, Cedar Walton's Eastern Rebellion, Anita O'Day with the Paul Smith Trio, Terry Gibbs, the Pillars of West Coast Jazz (Conte Candoli, Pete Christlieb, Pete Jolly, Jim DeJulio and Larence Marable) and Les McCann (with Oscar Brashear, George Bohanon, etc...).

Anita O'Day could still deliver. Somehow...

On Mack Avenue too and also produced by Stix Hooper.

Now will have to look for volume I!

I was rummaging through a bargain bin the other day (the "various artists" section, no less!!), and hit upon a gem. For $5, I got this 2-CD set called "The Legacy Lives On", on the Mack Avenue label, produced by Stix Hooper (Crusaders drummer). Recorded in LA back in 2000, Hooper brought together an all-star cast and dedicated the session to Sweets Edison, Milt Jackson, and Joe Williams.

Not sure how I missed this when it came up, but I've had this for at least a few years. Its nice, but I didn't pay no stinking five dollars for it. :angry:;)

Amazon has both volumes, used, super cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-4...x=7&Go.y=10

Also available new, but not so cheap. :P

Brownie, are those Eastern Rebellion tunes with Ralph Moore?

Edit: No need to reply, Guy - I just listened to a sound sample and know the answer already.

You know, I think I saw this at a Borders once but hesitated because aside from the three Eastern Rebellion tracks, I wasn't all that interested in Shearing or latter day O'Day, or much that's on disc 2 either. But at the used prices Amazon sellers are offering, I think I'll pull the trigger.

Edited by Dan Gould

Up!

Because I found a few days ago a copy of 'Legacy Lives On II'.

Pleasant double CD with original material - recorded in 2000/2002 - by George Shearing, Cedar Walton's Eastern Rebellion, Anita O'Day with the Paul Smith Trio, Terry Gibbs, the Pillars of West Coast Jazz (Conte Candoli, Pete Christlieb, Pete Jolly, Jim DeJulio and Larence Marable) and Les McCann (with Oscar Brashear, George Bohanon, etc...).

On Mack Avenue too and also produced by Stix Hooper.

Now will have to look for volume I!

I thought O'Day sounded just awful on this set. And I love her Verves and earlier.

I thought O'Day sounded just awful on this set. And I love her Verves and earlier.

Should have emphasized Somehow...

But really thought Anita sounded better on this one than on her later discs. At least, not as embarassing!

I'm sure you're right then. I stopped listening many moons ago because I couldn't bear it any more.