LP shops in Germany ?

cool_blue

This next month brings me to Germany to visit friends and family. We will be in Cologne, Munich, Essen, Kaserslautern, and Nurmeberg. Any advice for spending a few hours for lookin g through vinyl and music, mostly Jazz while there is greatly appreciated. Feel free to reply to this thread or PM.email me. Thank you.

Edited by cool_blue

Though not vinyl, do check out one of the Zweitausendeins stores. They have some incredible bargains every day, (and usually have a little bit of vinyl as well). Of the places you are visiting, there are shops in Koeln, Muenchen, and Nuernburg.

Seems like we have had threads previously about music store recommendations in Germany, but a quick search didn't find any.

you may also simply check the yellow pages of the towns you are going to visit. The online yellow pages let you view the hits on a city map so you can plan a nice walk through town with your beloved and act real surprised when you hit on yet another music store.

Here (click) the results for Köln.

hello,

i am living in munich and we have here quite some good record stores, although not that jazz paradise like in the states.

i would recommend for example:

# "BEST RECORDS"; lots of vinyl but no cds, theresienstrasse near the art museum "pinakothek"

# "X-PHON"; lots of vinyl and cds, frauenhoferstrasse near the river "isar" downtown

# "M2"; this store is at two places: near rosenheimerplatz and at elisabethplatz; both stores have vinyl and cds (the first place is the bigger one !!)

# "MUSICLAND" not far from the marienplatz, at the sendlinger tor - kreuzstrasse !, nice store with cds, records and books

# "optimal" since over 20years in munich with lots of dj stuff, lots of reissues but also used records and cds

(not far from the store "X-PHON")

# "MONO" nice store near the ostbahnhof with lots of used cds and also a little used records

as mentioned before the "2001" store in the türkenstrasse is great for jazz cds also the "saturn hansa" stores have great cd offers (they have also computers, telekom. etc)

one more tip: get the free magazine "IN MUENCHEN" when you have arrived and look in the last pages to find lots of record stores with their ad ! you get it at different cafes, cinemas or clothes stores etc

enjoy your trip !

tom

# "MUSICLAND" not far from the marienplatz, at the sendlinger tor - kreuzstrasse !, nice store with cds, records and books

If that's the place I'm thinking of (you go down a flight of steps?) they usually carry some Jasmine cds....... so grab some of those Tubby Hayes ones!! :excited:

...and how about that place called 'Bird's Nest Music', jbs-tom? ....lot's of jazz vinyl there. Still open?

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

hi son-of-a-weizen

no, birds nest is no more in munich. karl (the owner) has moved to karlsbad as far as i know and is selling records over ebay sometimes and has his own web-site ...

his store was really a great source for jazz vinyl - i think it was the best for jazz in munich.

to be true: to find a really nice old jazz record in munich (just say a 60s blue note or prestige) is really hard !

mostly the owners of the stores sell them over the internet, which means ebay.

see you

tom

If that's the place I'm thinking of (you go down a flight of steps?) they usually carry some Jasmine cds....... so grab some of those Tubby Hayes ones!! :excited:

...and how about that place called 'Bird's Nest Music', jbs-tom? ....lot's of jazz vinyl there. Still open?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been buying LPs in Munich for the past 2 years. My primary source is PhonX, (mentionned by jbs-tom), which is a second hand CD and LP store with a quite large jazz section. Unfortunately the records are not sorted alphabetically, so you'll have to go through all of them (it will take at least half an hour). There are mainly german pressings from the late 1970's and 1980's. It's great for ECM, Enja or MPS albums. Most are in mint condition, the prices vary around 8-10 Euro.

In the other stores I've visited, the jazz section is usually so small it isn't worth it. Some sell reissues which can be found cheaper in online stores.

I've started a discussion on Munich vinyl stores on a german forum some time ago. It's in german, but you can find other addresses as well.

http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/thread....7512c679315fc22

Edited by Claude