Newly discovered Prez

medjuck

From the article in the first link:

"According to DeAnna, it is speculated that Young was performing at the famous Village Vanguard in New York City. “At one point the emcee announces that the chile con carne is ready,” DeAnna said.

A similar announcement was made at last year’s National Recording Registry news conference..."

Ah, editing... :P

I'm not sure, based on those few choruses of blues, that I would label that as sub-par Lester. Sounds like a guy, pretty, uh..."relaxed", hanging and playing a jam session. I'd like to hear more.

nothin sub-par about it - but I found the most interesting thing, musically, to be the drummer - if you want to hear how muich the music was changing (and we're only a few rhythm steps from bebop here) listen to what the drummer is playing, and understand how the things that led to bebop, though a radical change in many ways, were in the air-

After long period of inactivity (and non visit of our board), this thread encouraged me to write just a few words. I don't mean to talk about tastes, our tastes, or my taste, but according and judging from small portion of what I've heard from this session (and that is about 10-20 SECONDS, right), I found that Pres' playing is

Terrific,

Awesome,

Brilliant!!!

:tup:tup:tup:excited:

Anyone heard some careful motivic playing in phrases he throws, or that famous mastering of dissonant tones in bridge of that tune (I'm not so sure it is blues at all)?

I don't know if the overall balance of miking session was precise (for example - Doc West, good drummer, played with Bird also - is too loud), and I'm not sure if all those musicians behind blew theirs top, but Lester is simply great! Anyway, despite few unperfections it is probably some good sounding low noise, full freq. range acetate, and it will be pleasure to listen...

And we all have to listen more...

About the musicians: it can be Pres First band – Shad Collins and Doc West played in it.

This is one of the most exciting “finds”, comparable to Bird and Diz 1945. Town Hall Concert.

Maybe it is even greater.

Edited by mmilovan

Lester Young taking part at some matinee jam sessions at the Village Vanguard in late 1940 is rather commong knowledge. Frank Buchmann-Moller's book 'You Just Fight For Your Life - The Story of Lester Young' lists Prez as appearing at the VV on Dec. 29, 1940 and on Jan. 12, 1941.

The author also states that 'a recording of a radio broadcast from the beginning of 1941 exists'.

The release of new Prez is awesome news. Goes tight to the top of my To-Get list!

More good news is the return of our beloved mmilovan. Welcome back Milan! And don't do another one of your disappearing game once more!

More good news is the return of our beloved mmilovan. Welcome back Milan! And don't do another one of your disappearing game once more!

Thanks, Guy, many thanks! Unfortunatelly, it wasn't game... just a few hard thigs happened in life...

About the date: form links attached on this thread it can be Dec. 29 1940.

Listening to sound qualities, it can be some direct to cutter head recording for delayed broadcast.

Edited by mmilovan

And for those who missed it:

Eugene DeAnna, head of the Library’s Recorded Sound Section, said that no one previously knew about this hidden jazz treasure, and he spoke about the compelling story behind the discovery, which was simply labeled “Jam Session, December 29, 1940”:

“The outer sleeve had some pencil marks showing first names that would be of great interest to jazz aficianados – Doc, J. C., Shad and, most intriguing, L. Young,” DeAnna recalled. “When our audio engineer cued the disc, we were delighted to find a jam session featuring Lester Young leading a small band in an unidentified nightclub.” Young was accompanied by Shad Collins on trumpet, Doc West on drums, J.C. Higginbotham on trombone and Sammy Price on piano.

The recording is especially significant because it was recorded during a vital period in Young’s career, when little of his work survives. According to DeAnna, it is speculated that Young was performing at the famous Village Vanguard in New York City. “At one point the emcee announces that the chile con carne is ready,” DeAnna said.

Still, we have to wait for Jan. 12, 1941!!!