Palmetto Records

I am wanting opinions on Palmetto records. Production values, catalogue, etc.

Thanks

Great production values, and a great catalogue. Check out Ben Allison, Frank Kimbrough, other participants in the Jazz Composers Collective. Palmetto also offers Andrew Hill's Dusk, which I think is a very fine latter-day effort from him. And Fred Hersch...and Marty Erlich...a great label.

Great production values, and a great catalogue. Check out Ben Allison, Frank Kimbrough, other participants in the Jazz Composers Collective. Palmetto also offers Andrew Hill's Dusk, which I think is a very fine latter-day effort from him. And Fred Hersch...and Marty Erlich...a great label.

Excellent label, I agree. And great recommendations above. But don't forget Matt Wilson and Joel Frahm.

I only have two Palmetto discs -- Andrew Hill's Dusk and Ben Allison's Riding the Nuclear Tiger. I like both very much.

Guy

Those two might be my favorites on the label (though the Matt Wilson discs come close). Either or both would be a great place to start.

All that I've bought sounded fine and lived up to their expectations. Andrew Hill, Matt Wilson, Larry Goldings, Javon Jackson, Lonnie Smith, Dave MacKay, Sam Newsome, The Voodoo Dogs .... I'd buy anything from them if I know I like some of the musicians involved.

I have some Palmetto discs and like them all, more or less (the Javon Jackson may be the least interesting one, for me):

Larry Goldings - Moonbird

Fred Hersch Trio - Live at the Village Vanguard

Fred Hersch Trio - + 2

Andrew Hill - A Beautiful Day

Andrew Hill - Dusk

Javon Jackson - Easy Does It

Rick Margitza - Memento

Rick Margitza - Heart of Hearts

Ted Nash - Still Evolved

Greg Tardy - Abundance

The Hills and the Tardy are probably my favourites from these.

• 2 weeks later...