2006 MLB Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey big Al, time to stop being a Ranger fan, and start rooting for the Braves! We've only blown 11 out of 19 save opportunities this year, with double agent Reitsma doing most of the damage....in short time, you will be wishing for the good ol' days....

I think Bonds will just pass Ruth and retire soon afterward before passing Aaron, don't you? He looks like he's playing in so much pain.

What was his point with passing Ruth? Ruth will always be a greater icon in baseball history. How many seasons did he spend pitching? I thought he held some pitching records for many years before he ever was the home run hitter. He changed the game.

Passing Ruth meant something for Aaron at the time, but what is the point now for Bonds? I just don't see it. Is it all about spiting his enemies in the press?

Edited by It Should be You

Fun comparing numbers of great players....

Hank Aaron 12,364 AB 755 HR RBI 2297 .305 BA

Babe Ruth... 8,398 AB. 714 HR RBI 2217 .342 BA

Barry Bonds.9,140 AB 714 HR RBI 1868 .300 BA

Babe Ruth, Pitcher Wins 94 Losses 46 Complete Games 107, Shutouts 17 ERA 2.28

Tim Kurkjian mentioned that Ruth pitched as many shutouts as Pedro Martinez has!

Has anyone ever read anything relating to Ruth being a pitcher, and how that helped Ruth as a hitter?

Edited by BERIGAN

I never liked or particularly respected Tony LaRussa, and I respected him even less in his pathetic defense of Mark McGuire ... but now he and Ozzie Smith are going at it in the paper?

Updated: May 22, 2006, 7:29 PM ET

Ten years later, Ozzie Smith, La Russa still feuding

ESPN.com news services

ST. LOUIS -- A decade after they feuded over playing time, Hall of Fame shortstop Ozzie Smith and St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa still agree to disagree.

In an interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published on Sunday, Smith, one of the team's most beloved players, said he did not want to belabor his disagreements with Cardinals "management" and still considered himself a Cardinal.

In 1996, Smith's last season, he and La Russa, in his his first season as Cardinals manager, squabbled publicly over Smith's playing time at shortstop. La Russa had made Royce Clayton the starting shortstop that season, saying he was a better everyday option; Smith felt he had not been treated fairly.

In the same interview, Smith said "at some future point, when things change, when management changes, I'm more than willing to come back because it's where I belong. I know it's where I belong. That time will come. When it does, I'll welcome it with open arms."

After reading the comments, La Russa, who previously had said Smith could be welcome at spring training as an instructor, rescinded any such invitation, the newspaper reported.

"When my time is up, they can welcome him with open arms, but I don't want to be anywhere that he is. I won't ever be around when he's around. Cardinals fans can embrace him all they want to, and it won't be uncomfortable because I won't be there."

Tony La Russa

"Speaking personally, I don't think he would be good for our ballclub," La Russa told the Post-Dispatch for Monday's editions. "For him to repeat those comments is really unreasonable. That invitation is no longer there. He's not welcome."

"When my time is up, they can welcome him with open arms, but I don't want to be anywhere that he is," La Russa told the newspaper. "I won't ever be around when he's around. Cardinals fans can embrace him all they want to, and it won't be uncomfortable because I won't be there."

"I won't be in the area. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror."

That last comment is about as classless as it gets. And unless LaRussa actually wins a few more World Series, he ain't gonna be where Ozzie already is: Cooperstown.

I never liked or particularly respected Tony LaRussa, and I respected him even less in his pathetic defense of Mark McGuire ... but now he and Ozzie Smith are going at it in the paper?

Updated: May 22, 2006, 7:29 PM ET

Ten years later, Ozzie Smith, La Russa still feuding

ESPN.com news services

ST. LOUIS -- A decade after they feuded over playing time, Hall of Fame shortstop Ozzie Smith and St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa still agree to disagree.

In an interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published on Sunday, Smith, one of the team's most beloved players, said he did not want to belabor his disagreements with Cardinals "management" and still considered himself a Cardinal.

In 1996, Smith's last season, he and La Russa, in his his first season as Cardinals manager, squabbled publicly over Smith's playing time at shortstop. La Russa had made Royce Clayton the starting shortstop that season, saying he was a better everyday option; Smith felt he had not been treated fairly.

In the same interview, Smith said "at some future point, when things change, when management changes, I'm more than willing to come back because it's where I belong. I know it's where I belong. That time will come. When it does, I'll welcome it with open arms."

After reading the comments, La Russa, who previously had said Smith could be welcome at spring training as an instructor, rescinded any such invitation, the newspaper reported.

"When my time is up, they can welcome him with open arms, but I don't want to be anywhere that he is. I won't ever be around when he's around. Cardinals fans can embrace him all they want to, and it won't be uncomfortable because I won't be there."

Tony La Russa

"Speaking personally, I don't think he would be good for our ballclub," La Russa told the Post-Dispatch for Monday's editions. "For him to repeat those comments is really unreasonable. That invitation is no longer there. He's not welcome."

"When my time is up, they can welcome him with open arms, but I don't want to be anywhere that he is," La Russa told the newspaper. "I won't ever be around when he's around. Cardinals fans can embrace him all they want to, and it won't be uncomfortable because I won't be there."

"I won't be in the area. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror."

That last comment is about as classless as it gets. And unless LaRussa actually wins a few more World Series, he ain't gonna be where Ozzie already is: Cooperstown.

While I agree this should not be dug up again, I think time will show your last statement to be incorrect; I think LaRussa is a lock for the hall, time will tell. Just my 2 cents.

m!

Edited by sheldonm

Dan,

Kind of reminds me of the Yogi / Steinbrenner tiff that went on for years. That one, just like this one, strikes me as entirely unnecessary. I'm sure at some point, Smith and LaRussa will kiss and make up.

BTW, you'll be happy to know that as of last night, I realized it ain't gonna happen for the Yankees this year no matter what they do. Don't know if you saw Joe Morgan on Baseball Tonight, but he said he thought A-Rod made a mistake going to the Yankees and not the Sox. He also said that in spite of A-Rod winning the MVP last year, Yankee fans will not accept him, or for that matter, Randy Johnson, because neither of them have helped them win a World Series. Apparently, that's how their ballplayers are judged and why guys like Jeter walk on water.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Dan,

Kind of reminds me of the Yogi / Steinbrenner tiff that went on for years. That one, just like this one, strikes me as entirely unnecessary. I'm sure at some point, Smith and LaRussa will kiss and make up.

BTW, you'll be happy to know that as of last night, I realized it ain't gonna happen for the Yankees this year no matter what they do. Don't know if you saw Joe Morgan on Baseball Tonight, but he said he thought A-Rod made a mistake going to the Yankees and not the Sox. He also said that in spite of A-Rod winning the MVP last year, Yankee fans will not accept him, or for that matter, Randy Johnson, because neither of them have helped them win a World Series. Apparently, that's how their ballplayers are judged and why guys like Jeter walk on water.

Up over and out.

Dave,

I always avoid Joe Morgan and spin tunes while I watch a broadcast but I did hear that Gammons said the same thing, that until he wins a World Series, A-Rod will only be compared to "monuments" and always found wanting.

I'm not quite ready to shovel the dirt on the Yanks yet but I will say this: Its the worst time possible for a slump of any sort, just as Clemens is making up his mind. I'm hoping that the Sox put some space between them between now and the end of next week when Clemens will probably make up his mind. Who knows, while I think that the pull of Houston is hard to ignore, the romance of a return to Boston as the final piece on a champion might just do it. I do think that a rotation of Schilling, Clemens and Beckett is about as tough as they come, even factoring in the tougher AL lineups. And those chances go up if it looks like the Sox are ready to take off, with a division lead and Coco coming back.

I guess the toughest thing for the Yanks is that it looks like the cinderella's are turning into pumpkins: Chacon and Small look outright bad, and Wang can't decide if he is ready to be a top line starter. With RJ still lost and Matsui gone, it is gonna be tough ... but I can't count the Yanks out yet!

Counting the Yankees out seems a little premature with so much of the season to play. As bad as they've looked in the past few days, they're doing it without some important players. I can't see the Red Sox running and hiding away. Randy Johnson? Who knows? We all do get old sooner or later.

Brad,

Believe me, I would still be on the 2006 bandwagon if the Yankees' were getting better pitching. This is the time of the year when arms are fresh that they ought to really be showing their stuff, but instead, they have a starting staff with an ERA in the neighborhood of five runs a game. Even with the Yank's vaunted offense, that isn't going to get it done. I will whistle a different tune if the Unit can get back on track, but that looks iffy at best.

Also, I agree with Dan, if the Rocket is close to making a decision, now is not the time to be struggling. With regard to Clemens, don't count the Rangers out of that hunt. He could be the guy that turns them from the merely very good to great. He'd be a godsend to their young and upcoming group of pitchers. If the playing field was level, i.e. Texas could keep up with New York and Boston in the bidding war, I'd give that a 50/50 chance of happening.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Good one, but I think he'll take the moolah. :g

Well, it takes more than money, I think. He'll be a king in Houston for the rest of his life if he returns or even retires, but not so much if he goes to Boston. At least that's what I thought I heard Gammons think out loud.

With regard to Clemens, don't count the Rangers out of that hunt. He could be the guy that turns them from the merely very good to great. He'd be a godsend to their young and upcoming group of pitchers. If the playing field was level, i.e. Texas could keep up with New York and Boston in the bidding war, I'd give that a 50/50 chance of happening.

I'm a little surprised at that comment, Dave. You're the first person I've heard suggest that the Rangers might actually be serious contenders. They certainly don't have the appeal of Houston (home town), the Yankees (where he won his rings) or Boston (where he started and became a star). Plus, given the bullpen issues and the other arms in the rotation, I can't see the Rangers having a better chance at post season glory than the other three teams. The only thing they really bring to the table is being a Texas team, and being willing to pay his price.

Here's something kind of interesting.

mlb_neyer_jkt_195.jpg

The book includes an analysis of the biggest blunders in each franchise's history. Here's a sample:

1) What is the biggest blunder in Angels franchise history?

1986: Manager Gene Mauch lifting starter Mike Witt in Game 5 of ALCS; bullpen blows lead.

Yet another heartbreaker for Mauch, who watched reliever Gary Lucas plunk a batter for the first time all year.

1995: Playing catcher Jorge Fabregas and second baseman Damion Easley regularly.

Angels finished one game out of first place, with Fabregas and Easley combining for 653 plate appearances and sub-.300 on-base percentage.

1997: Signing free agent pitcher Ken Hill to three-year, $16 million deal.

Usually hurt, Hill won only 18 games in three seasons.

1998: Signing free agent Mo Vaughn to six-year, $80 million deal.

In his first game, Vaughn fell into the dugout, and eventually lasted only three seasons with the Angels, who ate a great deal of that contract.

2002: Signing Darin Erstad to four-year, $32 million contract extension.

In the three-plus seasons since, Erstad's hit 18 home runs.

2) What is the biggest blunder in Athletics franchise history?

1974: Owner Charlie Finley fails to pay annuity to Catfish Hunter ...

. . . leading to Hunter becoming free agent and signing with Yankees.

1980-1981: Billy Martin uses -- and perhaps abuses -- his starting pitchers.

Martin made Mike Norris, Rick Langford, Matt Keough, and Steve McCatty, and he broke them, too.

1987: Bring back Reggie Jackson for one last season.

Sentiment kills as Jackson, 41, bats .220 and A's finish four games out of first place.

1988: Release catcher Mickey Tettleton

Yes, the A's had Terry Steinbach. But Tettleton would hit 288 home runs after the A?s cut him loose.

2004: Trade Tim Hudson to Braves for Charles Thomas, Dan Meyer and Juan Cruz.

Since the trade all three ex-Braves have seen most of their action in the minors, and none look like future stars.

3) What is the biggest blunder in Blue Jays franchise history?

1979-1981: Try to turn Danny Ainge into a baseball player.

Ainge, an excellent basketball player, got into 211 games with the Jays and batted .220 with unsightly ''peripheral'' stats.

1998: Manager Tim Johnson lies about Vietnam War experiences.

Johnson, with a promising future, was fired when he couldn't escape the questions about his self-mythologizing.

1998: Jays trade Woody Williams to Padres for Joey Hamilton.

Hamilton won 14 games for Jays; Williams won 30 games for Padres and is still pitching today.

2001: Jays trade David Wells to White Sox for Mike Sirotka.

Sirotka, who was injured when traded, hasn't pitched since.

2003: Jays sign Eric Hinske to five-year, $15 million contract extension.

Coming off Rookie of the Year season, Hinske immediately went into the tank and hasn't climbed out since.

4) What is the biggest blunder in Devil Rays franchise history?

1997: Trading Bobby Abreu to Phillies for Kevin Stocker

In fairness, without a shortstop you'll have a lot more singles.

1999: Using No. 1 overall draft pick on Josh Hamilton.

Seven years later, they're still waiting.

1999: Signing Greg Vaughn for three years, $24 million.

He was decent in Year One, awful in Two and Three.

2001: Giving up Roberto Hernandez and Cory Lidle to get Ben Grieve.

In three seasons with Rays, Grieve batted .254 with 34 homers.

2006: Insisting that B.J. Upton might really be a shortstop.

He made a ton of errors in '05, and is on pace for another ton in '06.

5) What is the biggest blunder in Indians franchise history?

1960: Trading Rocky Colavito to Tigers for Harvey Kuenn.

Trader Frank Lane's most famous deal, and his most reviled.

1965: Trading Tommy John and Tommie Agee to White Sox for Rocky Colavito.

Fans wanted Colavito back, but they would have liked John and Agee more.

1972: Trading Graig Nettles to Yankees.

Indians smart to get Nettles from the Twins, but dumb to trade him.

1989: Signing free agent Keith Hernandez to big two-year deal.

He batted .200 in 1990 and didn't even play in '91.

1998: Trading Brian Giles to Pirates for Ricardo Rincon.

The Pirates eventually traded Giles for Jason Bay and Oliver Perez; the Indians eventually traded Rincon for Marshall McDougall.

6) What is the biggest blunder in Mariners franchise history?

1979: Used No. 1 overall draft pick on Al Chambers.

With the No. 2 pick, Mets drafted Tim Leary.

1980: Hiring Maury Wills as manager.

In his short stint, Wills 'led' the M's to 26-56 record and alienated just about everybody in sight.

1986: Trading Danny Tartabull to Royals for Scott Bankhead and Mike Kingery.

Tartabull flamed out quickly, but he'd have been useful for a few years.

1997: Trading Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek to Red Sox for Heathcliff Slocumb.

Nine years later, Lowe and Varitek still productive major leaguers; Slocumb went 2-9 with 4.97 ERA and 13 saves with M's.

2004: Signing free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.

After one big season with Dodgers, Beltre got five-year, $64 million contract from M's; complete disaster since.

7) What is the biggest blunder in Orioles franchise history?

1985: Earl Weaver brought back as manager after two years away.

The magic was gone, and Weaver lasted just a season and a half.

1989: Drafted pitcher Ben McDonald with No. 1 overall pick.

McDonald never really panned out; they could have drafted Frank Thomas.

1991: Trading Curt Schilling, Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch to Astros for Glenn Davis.

Davis's back problems made this deal a complete disaster for O's.

1997: Owner Peter Angelos.forcing manager Davey Johnson to resign.

A few hours later, Johnson was named Manager of the Year.

1998: Signing free agent Albert Belle to five-year, $65 million contract.

Due to hip injury, Belle played only two seasons for O's.

8) What is the biggest blunder in Rangers franchise history?

1969: Hiring Ted Williams as manager.

It worked for one season, but Senators quickly became laughingstock again.

1973: Bringing No. 1 draft pick David Clyde straight to majors.

Clyde filled the stands, but his career quickly derailed.

1979: Trading Sammy Sosa and Wilson Alvarez to White Sox for Harold Baines.

Not one of Dubya's finest moments as Rangers owner.

1993: Trading Robb Nen and Kurt Miller to Marlins for Cris Carpenter.

This Cris Carpenter won exactly six games after the deal.

2001: Spending $12 million on Andres Galarraga, Ken Caminiti, Randy Velarde.

All three veterans tanked, which cost GM Doug Melvin his job.

9) What is the biggest blunder in Red Sox franchise history?

1919: Selling Babe Ruth to Yankees.

Some writers thought the Yankees were taking the big risk.

1972: Trading Sparky Lyle to Yankees for Danny Cater.

Lyle's absence cost the Red Sox a division title or three.

1986: John McNamara not replacing Bill Buckner in Game 6.

Even before that, he should have pinch-hit for Buckner in the eighth.

1990: Trading Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen.

Lou Gorman didn't think Bagwell would hit .300 in the majors.

2003: Grady Little leaving Pedro in for too long.

Cost the Red Sox a pennant and Little his job.

10) What is the biggest blunder in Royals franchise history?

1987: Trading David Cone to Mets for Ed Hearn.

Cone won 194 games after the trade; Hearn played in 13 games.

1989: Signing free agents Mark Davis and Storm Davis.

Both were complete flops, and Royals GM Schuerholz moved on to Atlanta.

1992: Protecting David Howard in Expansion Draft, lose Jeff Conine.

Howard was the only shortstop on the roster, never mind that he couldn't hit.

1997: Hiring Tony Muser as manager.

John McGraw wouldn't have won, but Muser was terribly miscast and lasted for nearly five years.

2001: Trading Jermaine Dye and getting Neifi Perez.

Dye just one of Royal stars traded for little in return.

11) What is the biggest blunder in Tigers franchise history?

1948: Trading pitcher Billy Pierce for catcher Aaron Robinson.

Detroit also sent $10,000 in deal; Pierce would win 208 games afterward.

1967: Playing Ray Oyler more often than not.

Oyler batted .207 and Tigers finished a game out of first place.

1988: Letting free agent Kirk Gibson get away.

The Tigers finished one game behind the first-place Red Sox, and Gibson won MVP honors with Dodgers.

2001: Signing Bobby Higginson to four-year contract extension.

In the last year of the deal, the Tigers spent nearly $9 million for two singles.

2002: Hiring Alan Trammell as manager.

Another team burned by an ex-superstar who didn't know how to manage.

12) What is the biggest blunder in Twins franchise history?

1969: Trading Graig Nettles and others to Indians for Luis Tiant and Stan Williams

Williams had one great season with Twins, Tiant released after one injury-abbreviated season.

1972: Trading Rick Dempsey to Yankees for Danny Walton.

Walton batted .176 with theTwins, Dempsey hung around for a long time.

1978: Trading Jesse Orosco to Mets before reaching the majors.

Would eventually pitch in 24 major league seasons.

1983: Using first-round draft pick on Tim Belcher instead of Roger Clemens.

Belcher didn't sign with Twins; 17 other teams passed on Clemens, too.

2002: Releasing David Ortiz.

That's right. They not only didn't want him, they didn't get anything for him.

13) What is the biggest blunder in White Sox franchise history?

1917: Sox replace first baseman Jacques Fournier with Chick Gandil.

Gandil was the lesser player and the Black Sox ringleader.

1959-1960: Bill Veeck trades prospects for veterans.

Off went Norm Cash, Johnny Callison, and others, and away went three or four pennants.

1981: Letting broadcaster Harry Caray get away.

Cubs win! Sox lose!

1985: Hiring broadcaster Hawk Harrelson as general manager.

In just one season, Harrelson managed to turn Carlton Fisk into a left fielder AND fire Tony La Russa.

1992: Trading Sammy Sosa to Cubs for George Bell.

Must anything else be said?

14) What is the biggest blunder in Yankees franchise history?

1960: Stengel gets only two starts out of Whitey Ford in World Series.

Everybody thought Ford should have started Games 1, 4, and 7.

1982: Trading Fred McGriff and others for Dale Murray and Tom Dodd.

McGriff would eventually hit 493 homers; Dodd wouldn't.

1988: Trading Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps.

Immortalized by Frank Costanza, but the McGriff deal was worse.

1995: Buck Showalter doesn't pull David Cone against M's.

Cost Yankees and Showalter, but might put Joe Torre in Hall of Fame.

2003: Joe Torre never uses Mariano Rivera in Game 4.

You can't lose a World Series game in the 12th without ever having used your best reliever.

Up over and out.