2006 MLB Thread

I'm not a NYY fan, and I don't really have an opinion about how classy that clubhouse is, but I wonder whether Giambi and Sheffield contribute to or diminish clubhouse classiness.

Well, I think that Giambi is a very popular teammate. We may think differently about his history of steroid and HGH use (and who among us don't wonder if his "comeback" isn't related to HGH?) but from everything I've heard, his teammates love him.

Sheffield ... well he's been called a clubhouse cancer almost since he arrived in the league, so ...

that doesn't mean that I wouldn't mind if the Red Sox go after him if the Yanks let him walk! :g But I doubt it will happen. Even if the Yanks don't think he can share first base with Giambi, they're more likely to pick up his option year and then decide where he gets traded. No need to antagonize him and then watch him sign with Boston.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popularity in the clubhouse and classiness are two different things. Giambi may be a great teammate, but that says nothing about class. His supposed apology for using chemicals that he ought not to have used was pathetic, embarassing, and a waste of everybody's time (...except maybe his legal representative's). Not much class there.

Phillies are now tied for the WC lead w/ 10 games to play!!! Pretty incredible that after 152 games it's still undecided.

I think since 1964, Phillies fans almost breathe a sigh of relief when things HAVEN'T been decided too far in advance! In any case, too much optimism may be dangerous to my health, but you've gotta hand it to them for making it interesting here! If Howard re-ignites to his level of a couple of weeks ago who knows what might happen? At least it won't be the guys from my current city of residence (Houston) to knock them off this time. THAT was tough to watch last year....not that I didn't enjoy going to some of those incredible late season games the past couple of years in Minute Maid -- and too bad about Clemens' possible last game being irrelevant.

How 'bout Big Papi?

Breaks the club mark for homers in a single season, a record that's lasted nearly 70 years and couldn't be eclipsed by Ted, Yaz, Rice.

I loved it when he hit #52 and the team froze him out when he reached the dugout:

1158927897_2114.jpg

But they couldn't hold back the love too long:

1158928079_5982.jpg

:g

Part of me hopes he doesn't get too hot over the last ten games. It would suck if he ends up with 58 or 59, and you just know that the 8 games he missed with the irregular heartbeat kept him from breakin the AL record. Then again, if he finishes with 58, can he still be denied the MVP?

Edited by Dan Gould

Too bad this will kill the chance that the Yanks pass on Sheffield.

From today's NY Post:

Multiple sources tell Kevin Kernan the Red Sox's No. 1 goal is to sign Gary Sheffield if the Yankees don't pick up his option. If the Yankees do pass the buck on Sheffield, the slugger would like nothing better than to come back and play for Boston.

Probably the only way the Yanks let Sheff walk is if he shows that he can't handly first base from now through the playoffs. But even then they'd be more likely to exercise his option and trade him out of the division or out of the league.

Why on earth would you want Sheffield?

He's going to be 38 years old this November. Sure, he may have some pop left in the bat, but unless Papi is going to work at being a fulltime first baseman that means you have Manny if LF & Sheffield in RF. Sheff's range factor (while not a perfect measure) is below the league's. And RF in Fenway is a huge one. You've been very fortunate to have had decades of great defensive outfielders with Dewey & Nixon. Even Bruno was better than average. I think trying to get fulltime RF work out of him is big trouble. I envision singles dropping in front of him, doubles in the corner turning into triples. I mean he's not a horrible fielder, but there's a lot of ground to cover in Fenway. And his arm isn't much either.

A better use of resources would be to use the money to acquire whatever they'd lose in trying to the SS back from Florida. (Whew that kid is amazing.) But that's not going to happen.

While the Red Sox are able to spend their way out of trouble better than any team but the Yanks, I think it's foolish to spend that kind of money on guys that old, even when it works. It can work, like Molitor with the Blue Jays (though he was "just" 36) or Winfield (who was 40), I just worry that it can become habit forming. For all the talk of free spending teams like the Yanks or the other exteme with the Moneyball example, maybe people should pay more attention to how the front office in Minnesota is doing things.

If there's a bigshot OF prospect in your farm system 2 years away then I suppose a year of Sheffield might be tolerable.

Actually there's a chance that this talk of the Red Sox wanting Sheffield is just being done to try to get the Yanks to resign him or throw too much money at him. If that's the case, job well done.

Edited by Quincy

Why on earth would you want Sheffield?

He's going to be 38 years old this November. Sure, he may have some pop left in the bat, but unless Papi is going to work at being a fulltime first baseman that means you have Manny if LF & Sheffield in RF. Sheff's range factor (while not a perfect measure) is below the league's. And RF in Fenway is a huge one. You've been very fortunate to have had decades of great defensive outfielders with Dewey & Nixon. Even Bruno was better than average. I think trying to get fulltime RF work out of him is big trouble. I envision singles dropping in front of him, doubles in the corner turning into triples. I mean he's not a horrible fielder, but there's a lot of ground to cover in Fenway. And his arm isn't much either.

A better use of resources would be to use the money to acquire whatever they'd lose in trying to the SS back from Florida. (Whew that kid is amazing.) But that's not going to happen.

While the Red Sox are able to spend their way out of trouble better than any team but the Yanks, I think it's foolish to spend that kind of money on guys that old, even when it works. It can work, like Molitor with the Blue Jays (though he was "just" 36) or Winfield (who was 40), I just worry that it can become habit forming. For all the talk of free spending teams like the Yanks or the other exteme with the Moneyball example, maybe people should pay more attention to how the front office in Minnesota is doing things.

If there's a bigshot OF prospect in your farm system 2 years away then I suppose a year of Sheffield might be tolerable.

Actually there's a chance that this talk of the Red Sox wanting Sheffield is just being done to try to get the Yanks to resign him or throw too much money at him. If that's the case, job well done.

I agree that Sheffield is not a good option in RF. But my take is that Manny is going to be shipped to the Halos, which makes it imperative that someone be added to protect Papi. I think Sheffield could do that for a couple of years, and putting him in left field, well, range hardly matters and neither does arm strength. Manny gets a lot of assists because his arm is accurate but not particularly strong. Sheffield's arm is definitely stronger.

The only other outfielder I can see taking Manny's spot would be Andruw Jones and I am not certain that a deal can be made, at least not without signing him to an extention, given what the Braves will ask for. But Jones behind Papi would be fine, too. But if Manny goes, someone has to step in to his spot in the lineup and if he goes to the Angels, there's no one coming back who would do that.

I also suspect that Sheffield is the type of ballplayer who would take the "disrespect" the Yanks would display and turn it into a major motivational factor.

There is a big shot OF prospect, name of Jacoby Ellsbury. But he's not a basher. More of a speed guy with awesome defensive skills, who is now developing the necessary plate discipline. But he's more of an ultimate Damon replacement than a Sheffield/Manny replacement.

Ramierez? Pretty darn good for a rookie but, not amazing - yet. Good bat but, a so-so fielder. He just committed his 25th error of the season last night. Lots of potential though, he's only 22.

How about them Phils??

Ramierez? Pretty darn good for a rookie but, not amazing - yet. Good bat but, a so-so fielder. He just committed his 25th error of the season last night. Lots of potential though, he's only 22.

How about them Phils??

Hanley should be a lock for ROY honors. About the only problem are rookie errors in the field, though he still makes plenty of spectacular plays, too. But he's got 50+ SB and 40+ doubles, and the sky is the limit. I'm sure he'll settle down defensively and make all the routine plays, too.

I agree that Sheffield is not a good option in RF. But my take is that Manny is going to be shipped to the Halos, which makes it imperative that someone be added to protect Papi. I think Sheffield could do that for a couple of years, and putting him in left field, well, range hardly matters and neither does arm strength. Manny gets a lot of assists because his arm is accurate but not particularly strong. Sheffield's arm is definitely stronger.

Ok, that makes sense, and yes, despite the tricks with playing the wall it's a better fit. You'd lose a bit of adventure in LF though. :lol: Having now checked the papers it's odd how the rumors have Manny going to the Angels yet I see no names as to who would come back, but then again when it comes to moving players with colossal contracts these things happen.

There is a big shot OF prospect, name of Jacoby Ellsbury. But he's not a basher. More of a speed guy with awesome defensive skills, who is now developing the necessary plate discipline. But he's more of an ultimate Damon replacement than a Sheffield/Manny replacement.

Ah, that'll be something to look forward to if he progresses.

Though one has to be careful when people pick 3 stats (such as doubles, homers and steals), pick a level (such as 40, teens, and 50), pick an age when it was done (22) and position (ss) and then say only these people have done that and they grew up to do this, such a list was made for Hanley Ramirez a few weeks ago and man oh man, though I've forgotten the names that he keeps company with they were BIG names. He and Cabrera make a great cornerstone for a team. I hope the fans down there can appreciate that.

As for the Phils, sure, I'll root for them to get the WC. I've got a young nephew out there who wasn't around to see that lovable '93 team. Must be cool to be 11 years old and have Howard on your team. :cool:

Edited by Quincy

Here's hoping Papi gets a homer tonite to break Ruth's all-time mark for homers on the road (32). Would be a shame if he misses, as I can think of at least two monstrous homers he had taken away in domes. There was a shot in Minnesota that hit the speaker that Hunter said would have gone about 550 feet and ended up a single, and another one in Tampa that hit the catwalk and iirc, was actually caught for an out. The Babe never had to deal with those ridiculous ground rules, or as Tito called them, miniature golf rules!

I was at that Dodger game yesterday, seated comfortably in a luxury box courtesy of my good friend's wife's insurance company. Nomar with a walk-off grand slam with two out in the bottom of the ninth to break a 1-1 tie, I yelled myself hoarse. The second Dodger game I've been at with a walk-off grand slam (I was also at Steve Finley's one to clinch a playoff spot two years ago). I'm a good luck charm! The Dodgers should give me a free season ticket.

Unfortunately for my boys, the Padres and Phillies keep on winning.

Edited by Noj

I was at that Dodger game yesterday, seated comfortably in a luxury box courtesy of my good friend's wife's insurance company. Nomar with a walk-off grand slam with two out in the bottom of the ninth to break a 1-1 tie, I yelled myself hoarse. The second Dodger game I've been at with a walk-off grand slam (I was also at Steve Finley's one to clinch a playoff spot last year). I'm a good luck charm! The Dodgers should give me a free season ticket.

Unfortunately for my boys, the Padres and Phillies keep on winning.

Turned that game on my computer and saw the end.... almost predicted it! It was funny, Vin Scully didn't seem that surprised, but then he's eternally smooth!

As to the good luck charm thing... and as a Phils fan.......could I respectfully ask you NOT to go to any more games??!! :w

The Twins are in the playoffs!!! :party::tup:party:

To think:

In early June, they were 25-33. Now they are 93-63 and only a game back from the Tigers.

My hope in June was that they would break .500! :g

Congratulations, as well as sympathies to jazzypaul, whose team collapsed on a scale similar to the Twins enormous rise. To think that for so many months the defending champions had the second best record in the majors and now, bupkus. But don't feel too bad, Paul, to paraphrase George Costanza, Boston is the lint in bupkus' pocket. :g

HS, your manager may have one enormous decision to make come Sunday: Do you start Santana if it may mean the division championship and missing the Yankees in the first round? The Twins are so dominant at home it almost makes sense to take the risk, but there's no doubt its a huge risk considering the rest of the staff you're trying to win with.

HS, your manager may have one enormous decision to make come Sunday: Do you start Santana if it may mean the division championship and missing the Yankees in the first round? The Twins are so dominant at home it almost makes sense to take the risk, but there's no doubt its a huge risk considering the rest of the staff you're trying to win with.

If that is the scenario, I think the Twins will start Santana on Sunday. Santana has not been as dominant down the stretch as years past (he still is great). He has gone the last couple of starts without a win. I would still prefer Santana as the ALDS game one starter, but we sure have had luck with Garza and Bonser.

Now if Liriano and Radke were healthy, with our bullpen.... :excited:

Hopefully Saturday's game will not go extra innings or they will have to 'postpone' the game until before Sunday's game because of scheduling conflicts with the Gophers (it happened once in 2004 before the playoffs).

If that is the scenario, I think the Twins will start Santana on Sunday. Santana has not been as dominant down the stretch as years past (he still is great). He has gone the last couple of starts without a win. I would still prefer Santana as the ALDS game one starter, but we sure have had luck with Garza and Bonser.

Now if Liriano and Radke were healthy, with our bullpen.... :excited:

Hopefully Saturday's game will not go extra innings or they will have to 'postpone' the game until before Sunday's game because of scheduling conflicts with the Gophers (it happened once in 2004 before the playoffs).

You'll definitely regret it if Santana starts Sunday and loses, and you face the Yanks with Santana unavailable til Game 3.

I got a question for you: When did Radke decide to retire? Didn't he sign a three year deal last off-season? I remember the Sox tried hard to get him, I'm glad he didn't sign and then have his arm blow up midway through his contract. Coming back from a torn labrum, I'm not surprised he'd hang them up. The odds are very long on recovering from that injury.