2006 MLB Thread

Interesting news from Boston:

Papelbon has announced that he is shutting it down for the remainder of the year, and that he intends to get ready to be in the rotation in 2007.

HALLELUJAH!

Assuming that they sign a decent closer, this is a huge upgrade for the rotation. Schilling and Paps at the top can match any other combination, and it allows Beckett the chance to make his adjustments without the pressure of being a number 1 or 2. If Beckett pitches smarter and to the level that his stuff suggests, that will be a topnotch 1-3, and that's without breaking the bank on Zito or Schmidt or that killer Japanese guy.

As far as the pen goes, I'd love to get a Borowski or a Wickman or the like, someone who can do the job decently, and hopefully sometime next year or by 2008, Hansen will be ready to take over.

But I really like the idea of 220 innings from Papelbon instead of 80. He's not your typical closer with two pitches, and he's not a failed starter either. And as a starter, he'll get into a steady program of work that should minimize the chance of pushing a tired arm into another near-dislocated shoulder.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat Burrell hit a grand slam off the Rocket tonight. I watched the replay about 5 times and I still can't believe it.

He was something like 4 for 28 before that! A 3-2 pitch right down broadway.....but then he's been missing most of those lately. All of this was set up when a steal of 2nd base, while Howard was up, triggered his being walked intentionally. Ordinarily I'd say why take the bat out of Howard's hands by opening up first base (Abreu used to do this with Thome up, and it drove me nuts), but hey...it worked out. In any case Clemens was having trouble locating. Gotta try and run down to the Juice Bowl (Minute Maid Park) for this afternoon's game :party:

Ryan Howard Robbed!!!

From the AP wire....

In the sixth, Ryan Howard hit what was ruled a double by umpire Larry Poncino. Replays appeared to show a young fan in the first row of the left-field seats attempted to catch the ball and then dropped it. Manager Charlie Manuel vainly argued the call, saying it should have been Howard's 57th home run.

After the game, Poncino said he got it wrong.

"The play was the play," Poncino said in a statement. "The ball was over the fence and that's it."

Edited by Chalupa

Ryan Howard Robbed!!!

And so was I! That ump cost me a trip to the fantasy championship. :angry:

(To the ump) You bastard!

Ok, back to reality.*

Edited - Actually not. I forgot the Yanks-Red Sox played another double header. Posada led the way, I'm in!

Edited by Quincy

let the record show

i've hung in with my team

but i think it's safe to say the indians' season is officially over

when does LBJ tip off?

:D

It's been over for awhile.

Cavs? The sooner, the better (and don't let thoughts of Braylon Edwards/Kellen Winslow Jr get in the way--Charlie is getting Fryed). Not too excited about adding David Wesley or Scot Pollard, and why no takers for Damon Jones? I know, this belongs in another thread.

Back on topic. Looks like Sowers can pitch, Sizemore is the real deal, and Hafner should/would have received some MVP votes if he hadn't suffered the hand injury (...at least as many votes as Ortiz).

HolllllllllY Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eye::excited::eye::excited::eye::excited: Anyone catch the Padres- Dodgers game last night????????????? If you were like me and didn't, catch it on espn news, or if there is another rerun of sportscenter. The Dodgers were down 9-5 in the 9th, and hit, 4 solo homers in a row to tie the game!!!!!!!!!!! The fans that stuck around Chavez Ravine were going ape-shit...and then...well, look it up............... :w

HolllllllllY Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eye::excited::eye::excited::eye::excited: Anyone catch the Padres- Dodgers game last night????????????? If you were like me and didn't, catch it on espn news, or if there is another rerun of sportscenter. The Dodgers were down 9-5 in the 9th, and hit, 4 solo homers in a row to tie the game!!!!!!!!!!! The fans that stuck around Chavez Ravine were going ape-shit...and then...well, look it up............... :w

Just caught the top of the Sportscenter broadcast .... amazing.

:excited::excited::excited:

Too bad both those teams suck and one will lose to the Mets and the other will lose to the Cards.

Too bad both those teams suck and one will lose to the Mets and the other will lose to the Cards.

Dan, don't you think that both those teams have better pitching than the Mets and Cards??? I mean if Pedro doesn't get it together, no way Glavine's soft stuff away will fool anybody in the playoffs, it rarely has in the past...and who do the Cards have after Carpenter??? Still, it doesn't matter, an AL team will win it all...

Dan, don't you think that both those teams have better pitching than the Mets and Cards??? I mean if Pedro doesn't get it together, no way Glavine's soft stuff away will fool anybody in the playoffs, it rarely has in the past...and who do the Cards have after Carpenter??? Still, it doesn't matter, an AL team will win it all...

I don't think the pitching is very good anywhere in that league, but the Cards and Mets have superior offenses. Don't the Dodgers take every other week off and score about 2 runs in 6 games? That's the impression I've gotten.

Meantime, I sure hope the Tigers hold off the Twins, so that its Minn - Yanks and Tigers - A's. Tigers won't get past the first round, so I'd rather see the Yanks deal with the Twins, who have been the hottest team for more than three months now. Even without Liriano, I think the Twins can take them.

Otherwise, I hope the Tigers somehow completely collapse and the White Sox make it in. Anything to keep the Yanks from facing Detroit, which would be a cakewalk based on the season results and how Detroit has faded. You don't want the Yankees to get hot in the first round - it could carry them to #27 and we can't have that. Let's see them take the Twins and the A's and the Mets ... that will be a tough row to hoe.

I don't think the pitching is very good anywhere in that league, but the Cards and Mets have superior offenses. Don't the Dodgers take every other week off and score about 2 runs in 6 games? That's the impression I've gotten.

Fairly accurate, feast or famine. I'm bummed I missed last night's feast, though! It would be difficult to believe if it were fiction.

Still, it doesn't matter, an AL team will win it all...

A Dodger friend of mine was saying the same thing when I brought up yesterday's Dodger-Padres game (brought it up before the game actually.) I mentioned how in 15 to 20 years a lot of people will forget that the NL sucked this year, and when they run down a list of pennant winners they'll see whoever wins it and it will count just like all the other pennant winners. So you might as well root for your team. The AL pennant winner could always have a playoff injury to makes things more even. Though it might take more than one injury. :lol:

The Mets and Yankees have a good chance of playing in the WS.

But all the top teams in the American league look HOT and the National league has streaky teams. (The Mets might act like Atlanta in the playoffs.)

I can't believe that BOSTON and the WHITE SOXS might not make the playoffs.

Viewer Alert:

Peter Gammons returns to Sportscenter tonite at 6 pm and Baseball Tonite at 7 pm. He's not back full time, but it will be nice to see "the Commish" again. I saw a photo recently and not surprisingly, he's extremely gaunt.

ESPN.com also has an extended (though not complete) portion of his "Insider" column available for non-members here.

Very interesting piece about A-Rod and how his teammates feel about him:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/maga...0925/index.html

It leaves me wondering whether another October choke and A-Rod will completely lose the clubhouse, and permanently lose the fans.

This passage:

The jeering of Rodriguez fed on itself, with Yankees fans emboldened by the obvious physical signs from A-Rod that he was unnerved.

Again, I have NO sympathy for this viewpoint.

I liked the part about Jackson taking him out for a talk. A-Rod's been hitting better lately, and I'm pulling for him--he's on the team. The Yankee clubhouse is the epitome of class.

Very interesting piece about A-Rod and how his teammates feel about him:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/maga...0925/index.html

It leaves me wondering whether another October choke and A-Rod will completely lose the clubhouse, and permanently lose the fans.

This passage:

The jeering of Rodriguez fed on itself, with Yankees fans emboldened by the obvious physical signs from A-Rod that he was unnerved.

Again, I have NO sympathy for this viewpoint.

I liked the part about Jackson taking him out for a talk. A-Rod's been hitting better lately, and I'm pulling for him--he's on the team. The Yankee clubhouse is the epitome of class.

So the classiest team has the most class-less fans? :rolleyes:

Hey, they can't help it--that's just the city they play in! I understand Red Sox Nation's hatred of the Yanks, but Bernie Williams, Mariano, Jeter, Posada--you have to admit that these are classy players. Granted, they're the last of the glorious late-1990s era, but for me they've gone a LONG way in redeeming the aura of the team.

That article did make a good point about Brosius--I swear, that guy, just like that whole team, could go 0-22 and then come up with the Big Hit. It was amazing.