Melt all my kindness away

With a knife

Take time to tell me

You really care

And we'll share next season's entire MLB season together

I'll always hate your sorry ass team forever

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!! :lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

Dan,

Kottaras is playing right here in Portland, being as we're the Padre's AAA affiliate. He'd better be a good defensive catcher, cuz he's hitting seventh in our lineup and punishing the ball at a .224 clip.

Up over and out.

He does have a better defensive rep, but I saw that he's hit pretty well at AA (batting .276 with 8 home runs, 33 RBIs, and a .394 on-base percentage at Double A Mobile) so there's hope that there's an upside to his offense. He's also only been at AAA for a short while.

go yanks destroy the tigers

like him or not, jeter is a cool mf

:)

Are the Tigers starting Rogers in any of these games? I HOPE SO!!! Hope he gets his ass kicked, too! :rmad:

I don't think Rogers pitched this series, Al.

Meanwhile, the Wells deal is done, but interestingly, the Red Sox released a statement saying he was dealt to San Diego for the proverbial "player to be named". If its not the catcher, who would it be, and I have to wonder whether LA or St Louis stepped up (which was being reported earlier) and forced San Diego to sweeten the deal. Certainly seems strange when a name was widely reported, and then when the deal is struck there is no name announced.

What will suck is that this is likely to doom us to a third place finish, especially with Lester out. This team as originally constituted hardly deserves that fate. It takes losing 60% of our starting rotation at one point, 100% of our outfield at another, to possibly end up trailing Toronto.

That'll be allright though - we should have approximately 30 million more to spend on salaries next year, and Toronto's GM has already acknowledged he doesn't have the cash to make the big splash that he did last year.

Are the Tigers starting Rogers in any of these games? I HOPE SO!!! Hope he gets his ass kicked, too! :rmad:

Rogers actually didn't let them down this series, this time it was Bonderman (as usual, lately). The Tigers appear to have just fattened up on the weaker teams; they have played terribly against the better teams most of this season. If they hang on and make the playoffs, it will be a 3-and-out division series

I don't think Rogers pitched this series, Al.

Meanwhile, the Wells deal is done, but interestingly, the Red Sox released a statement saying he was dealt to San Diego for the proverbial "player to be named". If its not the catcher, who would it be, and I have to wonder whether LA or St Louis stepped up (which was being reported earlier) and forced San Diego to sweeten the deal. Certainly seems strange when a name was widely reported, and then when the deal is struck there is no name announced.

What will suck is that this is likely to doom us to a third place finish, especially with Lester out. This team as originally constituted hardly deserves that fate. It takes losing 60% of our starting rotation at one point, 100% of our outfield at another, to possibly end up trailing Toronto.

That'll be allright though - we should have approximately 30 million more to spend on salaries next year, and Toronto's GM has already acknowledged he doesn't have the cash to make the big splash that he did last year.

Saw this on mlbrumor.com, which may answer the question of why he would be a player to be named later. And why the Padres might make it deep in the playoffs, if they only had some offense.

Trade To Padres Likely For David Wells

As you well know, the Padres are the frontrunners to acquire David Wells by midnight tonight. The name that's been bandied about is catcher George Kottaras. Keep an eye on tonight's 7:05 contest between the Portland Beavers and the Fresno Grizzlies to see whether Kottaras starts for the Beavers. If not, he's probably the guy. He went 0 for 4 last night. According to the Boston Globe, the Dodgers could have Wells if they would step in with one of Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, or James Loney.

Here's the tricky part. Based on info from a Steve Phillips article a year ago, I learned that "all 40-man roster players must go through waivers in order to change teams even if they are in the minor leagues." All four prospects mentioned above are indeed on the 40-man roster. So how does this work? The key, I believe, is slipping the player through as a player to be named later. The rule for waiver trades is that the PTBNL cannot be an active Major League player. So, the Red Sox can acquire a top-notch prospect in exchange for Wells if they are willing to wait until spring to see him in a Sox uniform. I think these rules debunk the notion that the Red Sox could somehow acquire Adam Wainwright in a deal. It's a moot point, as Wells won't play in St. Louis.

The Padres are three games back of the Dodgers in the NL West. San Diego currently holds a half-game lead over the Phillies for the wild card. If the Padres were to sneak into the playoffs once again, their playoff rotation would boast Jake Peavy, Chris Young, David Wells, and Woody Williams. All have pitched decently or better this month; it would be a fairly deep group. And fifth starter Clay Hensley has a 1.82 ERA and 1.25 WHIP this month, so maybe he'd be in the mix instead of Williams.

Did I hear correctly on the radio something to the effect that Boston has lost 8 of 9 of its normal starters due to injuries? If so, :( !!!

Did I hear correctly on the radio something to the effect that Boston has lost 8 of 9 of its normal starters due to injuries? If so, :( !!!

Let's see:

Varitek

Nixon

Ortiz

Manny

Alex Gonzales

Wily Mo Pena (who was Nixon's replacement)

Youklis was violently ill recently

Crisp missed a game or two with a sore shoulder following a diving catch

The only regular not to miss time is Mark Loretta.

But it is a crazy game. Last night, they went home to face the leading Cy Young candidate, Holliday, going for Toronto against Julian Tavarez, starting in Wells' place. They'd scored something like 9 runs in the previous six straight losses ... and scored six off of Holliday to beat him. :D

Edited by Dan Gould

Here's the tricky part. Based on info from a Steve Phillips article a year ago, I learned that "all 40-man roster players must go through waivers in order to change teams even if they are in the minor leagues." All four prospects mentioned above are indeed on the 40-man roster. So how does this work? The key, I believe, is slipping the player through as a player to be named later. The rule for waiver trades is that the PTBNL cannot be an active Major League player. So, the Red Sox can acquire a top-notch prospect in exchange for Wells if they are willing to wait until spring to see him in a Sox uniform.

You're right. When the Sox traded for Javy Lopez, the Orioles were supposed to get the Canadian Babe Ruth, Adam Stern (a Rule V draftee from the Braves, I believe, who finally had the chance to resume his development at Pawtucket but hadn't really shown too much). The Devil Rays, who believed that the Red Sox "tampered" with Julio Lugo while the Devil Rays were shopping him (they supposedly asked his agent if he'd be interested in a long-term deal with Boston), decided to throw a wrench in the monkey works and put in a waiver claim on Stern. So the Orioles had to agree to wait til the end of the season when there is no waiver process to get Stern. So they'll either get this catcher through waivers and complete the deal, or else the Devil Rays will try to screw us again, and we'll wait til October to complete the deal.

It's official: Jon Lester's been diagnosed with Lymphoma.

Lester diagnosed with lymphoma

Red Sox rookie will begin treatment for enlarged lymph nodes

By Mike Petraglia / Special to MLB.com

BOSTON -- Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester has been diagnosed with a treatable form of lymph node cancer.

The Red Sox made the announcement on behalf of Lester's family shortly after 6 p.m. ET on Friday.

The specific condition is known as anaplastic large cell lymphoma, and Lester is expected to begin treatment within the coming week.

"Jon and his family wish to thank all those involved in his care at Massachusetts General Hospital," the family said through a statement. "Our gratitude also extends to the Red Sox organization, which has provided Jon and his family much needed support during this ordeal.

"We ask that you respect our need for privacy during this difficult time."

Lester, in his first Major League season, is 7-2 with a 4.76 ERA in 15 starts for the Red Sox.

At least its described as "treatable".

My brother was diagnosed with a different form of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma ten years ago, and I'm pretty sure had a much worse prognosis than Lester did. One bone marrow transplant later (from me) and he was 100% healthy again and cancer free.

So there definitely is hope.

My brother was diagnosed with a different form of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma ten years ago, and I'm pretty sure had a much worse prognosis than Lester did. One bone marrow transplant later (from me) and he was 100% healthy again and cancer free.

I hope so, too. Man, what a shame for Lester, the poor kid. :(

The son of a friend went through the same thing successfully a couple of years ago. I wonder what the percentage is of young 20 years olds who get hit with this as it seems like so many know someone who has gone through this.

Well hell, as one of those idiotic fantasy owners I now feel the Red Sox injury bug pain deep in my heart. Pabelbon came out after just 1/3 with a "right shoulder injury." And ya know, he is a right handed pitcher, so that's not good. Don't have more details than that generic report. Hope to hell it's something minor, but the things have been going for your team I fear the worst.

Edited by Quincy

I hope Ortiz and Lester will both be up to par as soon as possible!

This has been a very weird season, can anyone recall a season withmore players having non-baseball related health problems??? Now Marcus Giles has heart problems....

Giles might need heart surgery

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/03/06

Philadelphia — Marcus Giles will return to Atlanta Sunday for tests to determine whether he has a heart-valve condition that might require surgery. The second baseman was examined by a Philadelphia doctor Saturday and told that he might need a procedure that would entail going through an artery in his groin and stapling the valve shut.

"She said it would only be about a week to recover from that," said Giles, referring to what he was told by the doctor who examined him.

"It's great that it was discovered now. The main thing is getting it fixed right away."

First Giles will have further tests with Atlanta cardiologist John Cantwell, who works with the Braves. He will be examined Sunday or Monday. Giles said he was alarmed Saturday morning after taking a sip of a soft drink and experiencing knee-buckling pain after the drink seemed to go down his throat wrong.

"It was the scariest thing I've ever been through for about 10 minutes," he said. The pain subsided, but Giles still felt discomfort as he prepared for Saturday's doubleheader at Citizens Bank Park. There were no doctors at the stadium that early, so Giles was taken to a local hospital.

After the second game of the doubleheader, Giles met with Atlanta reporters and laid out what he was told.

"She said there's a valve in my heart, and it's supposed to keep out all the bad stuff," Giles said. "They think it didn't close after I was born." If the condition went undetected or wasn't corrected, Giles said, "A blood clot could get in there. Something could stop my heart or cause a massive stroke."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/b...ravesheart.html

Damn ss1, your Tribe is killing my Rangers tonight. You'd never know the Rangers had the better record of the two teams.

It's not personal, Big Al Clemenza.

It's strictly business

The Don

if i hit a grandslam in my first AB on the first pitch.....

i'd retire on the spot

Me too!!! :lol: