2006 MLB Thread

Reading comprehension just isn't your thing, is it?

"The prediction was, in all iterations, predicated on David Wells joining the Twins, and/or Liriano returning in time for the playoffs."

Which I mentioned. You might be the one in need of reading comprehension.

"Also, don't be embarassed to move your lips while reading. It has been shown to aid comprehension in low IQ individuals."

My IQ is in the top 1%. I'm pretty sure yours is not.

Looks like your threat to ignore me was just an idle one. Keep the idiocy coming, my little uninformed bitch. I love tearing you a new one on a daily basis!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Time for the first installment of the Truth Patrol:

THE FACTS:

On July 20th, the Red Sox were 58-36, 22 games over .500.

Interleague play was long finished at that point, and the Red Sox were 16-2 against the NL.

THIS MEANS THAT THE RED SOX WERE 8 GAMES OVER .500 AGAINST AL TEAMS."

Of course, I said since August... that reading comprehension flaw again...

"What happened on July 20th? Tim Wakefield was placed on the DL."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Holy shit, my side is hurting. Tim Wakefield?!?!?!? This is would be like the Yankees blaming a losing streak on the loss of Jaret Wright. In any event, the loss of the ineffective Wakefield opened the doors for your vaunted prospects who disgraced themselves and lowered their potential trade value by promptly falling on their collective faces. Bravo, Theo!

"Within 10 days, Trot Nixon and Jason Varitek followed him, and in the month since, Gonzales, Manny, Lester and Ortiz have been disabled or lost for significant periods. And we all know what their record has been ever since."

Trot Nixon was a platoon outfielder and Jason Varitek was having a bad year. Manny and Ortiz didn't stop playing until a few days ago, when the Red Sox season was ALREADY OVER. The Yankees, by contrast, sustained far more extensive, serious injuries (four all-stars in Pavano, Matsui, Sheffield and Cano) and they made it through. That's because they simply a much better team this year. Deal with those facts, you ignorant mass of gorilla ejaculate.

Edited by Heatwave

"Time for the first installment of the Truth Patrol:

THE FACTS:

On July 20th, the Red Sox were 58-36, 22 games over .500.

Interleague play was long finished at that point, and the Red Sox were 16-2 against the NL.

THIS MEANS THAT THE RED SOX WERE 8 GAMES OVER .500 AGAINST AL TEAMS."

Of course, I said since August... that reading comprehension flaw again...

"What happened on July 20th? Tim Wakefield was placed on the DL."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Holy shit, my side is hurting. Tim Wakefield?!?!?!? This is would be like the Yankees blaming a losing streak on the loss of Jaret Wright. In any event, the loss of the ineffective Wakefield opened the doors for your vaunted prospects who disgraced themselves and lowered their potential trade value by promptly falling on their collective faces. Bravo, Theo!

Truth Patrol Reporting In:

THE FACTS:

Through the end of June (the last game before he started reporting back pain), Tim Wakefield made 17 starts and threw 105 innings, or in his average start he pitched into the seventh inning. Twelve of his seventeen starts were "quality starts". His ERA was 3.86. This would rank him in the top 15 in the league right now, and even after his injury led his ERA to jump to 4.14, his ERA still ranks in the top 20.

Interesting that you should compare him to Jaret Wright, for it was Torre who flipped Wright with Wang, because he knew that back to back 5 inning pitchers were killing his bullpen. Wakefield was the polar opposite of Wright, averaging two full innings more per start. Wakefield provided the exact same benefit to his team as Wang did: a pitcher who pretty much guaranteed that his bullpen would get some rest.

The loss of Wakefield led directly to the over-working of a bullpen which had issues all season and led to its catastrophic failure from the second half onward.

Truth Patrol signing off til next time.

Edited by Dan Gould

Reading comprehension just isn't your thing, is it?

"The prediction was, in all iterations, predicated on David Wells joining the Twins, and/or Liriano returning in time for the playoffs."

Which I mentioned. You might be the one in need of reading comprehension.

Truth Patrol Back Again:

THE FACTS:

Anyway, we have, on record, these (obviously untouched by Red Sox bias) predictions which you don't have the option of ignoring: a 48 home run season by Willy Moe Pena, and a sweep by the Twins if they should play the Yankees in the playoffs.

Nothing about the actual conditions stated in the prediction.

Truth Patrol signing off.

Sometimes the Red Sox make the more attractive offer (Schilling, Ramirez), and sometimes the Yankees do (Bernie Williams, A-Rod).

Last installment for now of the Truth Patrol:

THE FACTS:

Schilling WAS NOT a free agent. No offer was made to Schilling to secure his services; an offer was made to the D-Backs; after the trade was accepted, Theo convinced Schilling to approve the trade and signed him to an extention.

Sometimes the Red Sox make the hard decision to let a productive player walk and spend the money elsewhere (Damon, Pedro), and sometimes the Yankees do (Pettitte, Nelson, Gordon, Clemens and probably Bernie Williams and Gary Sheffield for 2007)

THE FACTS:

Roger Clemens "retired" after the 2003 season. The Yankees made no decision to "let him walk" but simply took him at his word and did not even offer salary arbitration. Clemens "unretired" after Pettite signed with Houston.

Truth Patrol signing off til the next time.

The real truth:

Nowhere did I say that Schilling was a free agent. Obviously frustrated by my superior knowledge, you pathetically try to misquote me on an irrelevant issue in order to "prove" me wrong. My point stands: The Yankees were interested in getting Schilling from the D-Backs the same year that Boston was, and they decided to let Boston be the highest bidder. Boston was determined to offer more, and the Yankees deemed Schilling not worth it. A franchise with unlimited resources could have have made a cash offer to Arizona that they would not have refused, had the Yankees really wanted Schilling.

Truth Patrol Back Yet Again.

THE FACTS

Any D-Back or Yankee fans knows how this trade happened and can confirm the following.

The D-Backs had NO INTEREST in what the Yankees were offering.

George Steinbrenner HIT THE ROOF in the wake of the trade, as was reported throughout the NY media around Thanksgiving of 2003. So the idea that he would have been a Yankee "had the Yankees really wanted Schilling" is complete nonsense.

Truth Patrol Signing off Til Next Time.

Edited by Dan Gould

tribe's only 20 games out.........

:excited:

Ain't that somethin. Travis Hafner probably won't be close in MVP voting because he plays on an under-achieving team from a small market (not on a superstation), but he should finish in the photo, 'specially if Ortiz wins.

Acquired from the Rangers (essentially) for pitcher Ryan Drese.

Ain't that somethin. Travis Hafner probably won't be close in MVP voting because he plays on an under-achieving team from a small market (not on a superstation), but he should finish in the photo, 'specially if Ortiz wins.

Wonder who he's pitching for now? Seems like he had one bad game for the Rangers, and in a fit of "leadership" Jon Hart cut him loose. Business as usual around here.....

"Within 10 days, Trot Nixon and Jason Varitek followed him, and in the month since, Gonzales, Manny, Lester and Ortiz have been disabled or lost for significant periods. And we all know what their record has been ever since."

Trot Nixon was a platoon outfielder and Jason Varitek was having a bad year.

Time yet again for the Truth Patrol:

THE FACTS:

As a lefthanded hitter, Trot Nixon could already be expected to play in approximately 75% of all games as there are more righthanded starters than lefthanded. Yet the fact is that throughout the time that Wily Mo Pena was injured, Nixon started against virtually everyone, righthanded or lefthanded. The bottom line is that when Nixon went down, the team had played 104 games and he had appeared in 92 of them. He had also compiled a .294 BA and an OBP of .396.

Anyone with any knowledge of the game knows that despite his decline in power numbers, Nixon was a critical part of the Red Sox lineup, and far more than a "platoon outfielder".

Which brings us to Varitek.

Anyone who has watched Varitek for the last five years knows full well that he is far more important to the team's success than this year's .243 BA. His team leadership, handling of the pitching staff and pitch calling skills are second to none. While he was on the roster, the young pitchers performed at their highest level to date. No one with any knowledge of the game is surprised at how the pitching staff has collapsed with Mirabelli and Lopez trying to fill Tek's shoes. In fact, what happened the last time the Red Sox lost Varitek for an extended period of time? That would be 2001 when he broke his elbow and the team finished 82-79.

Coincidence? Every knowledgeable observer knew that the Red Sox would be in deep trouble when Varitek went down.

The Truth Patrol signing off for the night.

Edited by Dan Gould

Wonder who he's pitching for now? Seems like he had one bad game for the Rangers, and in a fit of "leadership" Jon Hart cut him loose. Business as usual around here.....

Like Patrick said, nationals now. As for his record for Texas, just checked. His ERA was

6.85 , 4.20 and 6.46 his 3 seasons! So, Hart was right to cut him loose, stupid to trade Hafner for him! ^_^ Naturally, after proving he was no good with the Rangers, he is still in baseball. :rolleyes:

You know, I look young for my age, I'm a lefty and I throw a good curveball...hmmm, if you guys don't see me post much next year, just keep your eyes out for a long haired southpaw with a 8.50 ERA....who will stick with the big club most of the year...

Edited by BERIGAN

Like Patrick said, nationals now. As for his record for Texas, just checked. His ERA was

6.85 , 4.20 and 6.46 his 3 seasons! So, Hart was right to cut him loose, stupid to trade Hafner for him! ^_^ Naturally, after proving he was no good with the Rangers, he is still in baseball. :rolleyes:

You know, I look young for my age, I'm a lefty and I throw a good curveball...hmmm, if you guys don't see me post much next year, just keep your eyes out for a long haired southpaw with a 8.50 ERA....who will stick with the big club most of the year...

Yep, my bad. I guess this means I have to admit that Hart was right about at least one thing during his tenure with the Rangers. :o:P

Dan and Heatwave should have their own radio show on ESPN Radio. Frankly, I'm surprised the suits at ESPN haven't come calling, as our guys are arguing about the two things closest to ESPN's hearts/pocketbooks: the Red Sox and the Yankees. It could be the baseball equivalent of the Hannity-Colmes show. People could call in and get abused on the air like any other talk show. Suggested titles:

The Dan and Heatwave Show

Red Sox-Yankees Smackdown

The Only Teams That Anyone Should Care About

The Best Damn Baseball Show Period

Yankees Rule, Red Sox Suck

Red Sox Rule, Yankees Suck

This would be a 24-hour show, as we all know that once one side starts the other side has to respond, and neither side will let the other have the last word. Folks around here should help out behind the scenes, and I will gladly take the bold first step and be the producer and call-screener for the midnight-8 am shift, cuz I've had some serious insomnia lately, so I may as well do something productive.

Who can we contact at ESPN? :w

Boston newspapers are reporting this morning that Big Papi looks to be in good shape. Among other things, they've done stress testing and an echo-cardiogram. Everything seems to have turned out fine. They are saying he may be back in the lineup as early as next week. No word on Manny or WMP.

Also, it appears David Wells is headed back to San Diego. No word as yet as to who the Sox get in return.

With the Yanks up 8 and 9 in the win column, this trade could be construed as a striking of the colors as far as the 2006 season goes. Nonetheless, with the Sox scheduled to get most of their guys back soon, including the all important Varitek, this Yankee fan will not be celebrating anything until the fat lady sings.

Up over and out.

Boston newspapers are reporting this morning that Big Papi looks to be in good shape. Among other things, they've done stress testing and an echo-cardiogram. Everything seems to have turned out fine. They are saying he may be back in the lineup as early as next week. No word on Manny or WMP.

Also, it appears David Wells is headed back to San Diego. No word as yet as to who the Sox get in return.

With the Yanks up 8 and 9 in the win column, this trade could be construed as a striking of the colors as far as the 2006 season goes. Nonetheless, with the Sox scheduled to get most of their guys back soon, including the all important Varitek, this Yankee fan will not be celebrating anything until the fat lady sings.

Up over and out.

Dave,

Wells is expected to fetch a lefthanded catcher from Triple A who is their number two prospect. This is probably a good move as we have to get ready for the post-Varitek years, and Mirabelli has been toast for a while now. My advice would be to have the kid catch Wakefield from January on, and maybe with some luck he'll be ready to catch the knuckler from the get-go.

WMP had a cortisone shot and will probably be ready to return in two days.

Manny needs more rest.

What was not mentioned is that Jon Lester has enlarged lymph nodes and actually is being tested for cancer, among other things. :huh: Kinda puts things in perspective.

No kidding! Looks like this kid was having a heckuva rookie year. This is just heartbreaking:

Lester reportedly tested for cancer

Red Sox rookie on disabled list with back injury

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

OAKLAND -- While most of the health-related problems that have plagued the Red Sox in recent days have been well-publicized, there appears to be another one developing behind the scenes.

The Boston Herald reported on its Web site Wednesday night that rookie left-hander Jon Lester, who was sent back to Boston earlier this week to have his ailing back examined, is also being tested for far more serious matters, including the possibility that he has cancer.

Reporter Tony Massarotti wrote that Lester "was diagnosed with enlarged lymph nodes, according to sources. Such a symptom can be caused by an array of issues, from infections to cancer."

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein accompanied the team back to Boston from Oakland late Wednesday night and could not be reached for comment. The club didn't release any information on Lester on Wednesday, other than to say he was being tested at Massachusetts General Hospital.

The 22-year-old Lester was rear-ended in a car accident on Storrow Drive while on his way to pitch at Fenway Park on Aug. 18. Before and during his next start at Anaheim -- a win -- his back locked on him as he was dealing with an apparent case of whiplash.

When the Red Sox went to Seattle last weekend, Lester, a native of Tacoma, Wash., wasn't seen in the clubhouse during media access hours for the entire series.

A source confirmed to MLB.com that Lester spent much of the weekend in a Seattle hospital undergoing, among other things, a CT Scan.

Epstein offered no comment a few days ago when asked if Lester had been in the hospital while the club was in Seattle.

Manager Terry Francona did mention to reporters earlier this week that he had spoken with Lester's dad while the club was in Seattle, but that conversation was thought to have been regarding the pitcher's back.

The Red Sox, other than acknowledging Lester suffered whiplash, have not said anything about his condition. Due to his back woes, Lester was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Monday.

"He's obviously a big part of our future, and we've asked a lot of him already," Francona said Monday. "We're concerned about sending him out there when we shouldn't because we're thin. We don't want to hurt this kid. He's too valuable to our future."

Because of patient confidentiality laws, it is not surprising that the club would not discuss Lester's status until they determine exactly what is going on with left-hander.

There have been plenty of other health issues surrounding the Red Sox. Slugger David Ortiz checked in to Massachusetts General Hospital on Tuesday so doctors could determine why he, on multiple occasions over a 10-day span, experienced a rapid heartbeat. Ortiz, according to manager Terry Francona, is doing well, and was again held overnight on Wednesday as more tests were conducted.

Before the report surfaced on Lester, Red Sox ace Curt Schilling mentioned that the left-hander's situation, along with that of Ortiz, far transcends baseball.

"You're talking about David's health situation, Jonny Lester's situation and all the other guys," said Schilling. "It's bigger than wins and losses. Unfortunately, people can't look at it like that from a fan's standpoint a lot of times. But there's a lot of personal things going on here that are dragging on us a lot more than just the weight of losing these games."

The Red Sox have suffered a barrage of baseball injuries over the past few weeks, ranging from Manny Ramirez's right knee to Wily Mo Pena's left wrist to Alex Gonzalez's strained oblique. But those matters, as much as they've affected the way the team has played, are trivial compared to what is going on with Ortiz, and, apparently, Lester.

Lester is 7-2 with a 4.76 ERA in 15 starts this season. The Red Sox open a 10-game homestand against the Blue Jays on Thursday night.

No kidding! Looks like this kid was having a heckuva rookie year. This is just heartbreaking:

Well, his record was better than some of his other stats would suggest. He has trouble commanding the strike zone and would get into high pitch counts and rarely work past the 5th inning. What was impressive was his ability to get out of trouble. All in all, being a 22 year old rookie, its been a decent debut, that's for sure. Hopefully this is all just a bump in the road and he'll get the chance to build on this and become a solid #3.

Now watch for Heatwave to show up with his blather. After ripping Big Papi when the man may have a serious heart condition, God only knows what he'll say about a kid who could be facing cancer.

Well, his record was better than some of his other stats would suggest.

Well, okay, but remember who I have to compare him to! I'd just about kill to have a pitcher who could have a year like this! On the Rangers staff, he could be a great long-reliever since most of our guys can't seem to get past the 5th either. And these are the veterans I'm talking about here!

Dan and Heatwave's Theme Song

ALWAYS AND FOREVER (Heatwave)

Always and forever

Each moment with you

Is just like a dream to me

That somehow came true

And I know tomorrow

Will still be the same

Cause we've got a life of love

That won't ever change and..

Every day

Love me your own special way