2006 MLB Thread

Throwing smoke!!

capt.7e0aed5e649847f9ba2ad26fa90a947c.mets_phillies_baseball_pxs109.jpg

I saw that picture and thought the same thing. That's a smoke thrower's follow through!

(won't mention how I picked him for a fantasy team a few weeks ago and stuck with him....oops, sorry, just did)

He has been on a roll. Even when he's bad he's interesting. If he stay's healthy, you're going to have some good times in Philadelphia. :tup

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throwing smoke!!

capt.7e0aed5e649847f9ba2ad26fa90a947c.mets_phillies_baseball_pxs109.jpg

I saw that picture and thought the same thing. That's a smoke thrower's follow through!

(won't mention how I picked him for a fantasy team a few weeks ago and stuck with him....oops, sorry, just did)

He has been on a roll. Even when he's bad he's interesting. If he stay's healthy, you're going to have some good times in Philadelphia. :tup

Like you said, even when he's bad, he's interesting. Didn't he strike out 12 braves in 5 innings, and still gave up 7 runs???

At the last minute I got invited to the Marlins/Dodgers game last night and went straight to Dodger Stadium from work with two of my oldest friends. We sat in the Loge level, about even with 3rd base, under the overhang of the upper deck. Great seats. Derek Lowe pitched a gem through 7, surrendering only one run on a triple by opposing pitcher Dontrell Willis. D-Trane was great until the bottom of the 6th when Garciaparra crushed a 2-run bomb about 400 feet to the left field bleachers. Dodgers manufactured two more runs the following inning and went on to win 4-2, their 16th victory in 17 games.

Man, in addition to being a hell of a pitcher, Dontrell can swing it! His triple was a laser, and in his following at-bat he smoked one into right field that was caught. He looked like the best hitter on Florida's team.

The Angels certainly have the Rangers number. :(

Oakland, unfortunately, is red hot right now, and is finally making the case for an AL West team to be legitimately represented in the post-season.

Oakland will make a very nice patsy for some other AL team to 3 and out....

Dan, are the Red Sox still making noise about replacing Fenway???

Definitely not. The old owners acted like it was an absolute requirement and tried to extort money from the city/state but the new owners realized it wasn't going to happen and that's why they put all of the money into the park, including all of the changes (Monster seats, RF seats, etc., etc.) and they continue to make further plans. I'm glad they aren't planning to replace it, even though their plan of maximizing revenue includes those ridiculously priced tickets. But Fenway is a beautiful place, inside and out, and that's a result of the efforts of John Henry, et. al. :tup

The Angels certainly have the Rangers number. :(

Oakland, unfortunately, is red hot right now, and is finally making the case for an AL West team to be legitimately represented in the post-season.

Oakland will make a very nice patsy for some other AL team to 3 and out....

:D

yanks win 4 of the 5 games this weekend

that I seriously doubt. Wells vs Lidle on Monday favors the Sox, and Ponson vs Lester on Friday favors the Sox. Mussina and Wang haven't pitched very well recently, and Wang pitches downright crappy away from the Bronx (5+ ERA).

I can see it going 3-2 for either team, but I seriously doubt it will go 4-1 or 5-0.

And one more thing, Hinske, on his way from Toronto, rings up the Yanks at .370 clip, and has slugged .512 on the season.

Late Edit to say:

AND while the Sox have an off day to rest everyone, the Yanks get clobbered by Baltimore and burn their bullpen in the process, just in time for a day-night doubleheader and five games in four days. If they've ever needed Wang to go 8 + innings, its tomorrow. Too bad his last two starts have been far shorter. Yankee fans can't be as confident going into this series, methinks.

Edited by Dan Gould

Well, the 1st game of the 5 game set between the Yanks and the Red Sox is in the bank, one that the Yanks had to win, since Ponson vs. Lester tonight looks like a sure loss for the New Yorkers. Not only has Ponson been awful the entire year, the announcers today indicated that the Yanks have yet to face Lester this year. Yanks always seem to roll over and play dead before a rookie pitcher they've never faced and considering Lester is a quality hurler (despite a 6+ ERA over his past few games), I guess I'll have to be happy with a split today. But........they still have to play the game, so we'll see.

Well, the 1st game of the 5 game set between the Yanks and the Red Sox is in the bank, one that the Yanks had to win, since Ponson vs. Lester tonight looks like a sure loss for the New Yorkers. Not only has Ponson been awful the entire year, the announcers today indicated that the Yanks have yet to face Lester this year. Yanks always seem to roll over and play dead before a rookie pitcher they've never faced and considering Lester is a quality hurler (despite a 6+ ERA over his past few games), I guess I'll have to be happy with a split today. But........they still have to play the game, so we'll see.

This was the only thing that made the day game palatable, even though it pisses me off that Jason Johnson pitches well enough to keep them in the game in the top of the seventh and the lose. Wang continues to not impress me. I wish I could find the exact quote, but I have read that if you look at Wang's strikeout rate, he is totally unique in having the success he does. And I don't just mean this year, or this league. I mean no one in the game's history has won 14 of 19 decisions with a strikeout rate of what? 2.0 per nine innings?

Then again, I never had any respect for Andy Pettite and his stuff, yet he managed to win so what the hell do I know?

I noticed the other day that the always resourceful Philly phans had yet another fan group, this one for rookie pitcher Cole Hamels. The name should raise a smile from jazz fans.....the Cole Train!! Somehow I doubt any connection to Coltrane, but what the hey, maybe they'll start playing something of JC when he comes out to pitch.......

Gotta hand it to those Philly folks for the number of fan groups.....sadly Sal's Pals (a bunch of guys, and even a few gals, with fake fu manchus!) is no more, with Sal Fasano's being traded. Strangely the team has done a better job hanging in the wild card fray AFTER trading Abreu, Lidle and Bell. Some more speed, some willing young guys, the odd story of Chris Coste, a career minor-leaguer tearing it up at the age of 33..........and those guys named Howard and Utley, and it's just enough to bring a long suffering Philly fan to the brink of hope.........surely to be dashed at the last moment once again, eh?