2006 MLB Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardinals fans have got to be worried. The Phillies swept a 3 game series in whcih the Cards never had a lead. They look totally pathetic right now.

If you want my opinion, the whole NL is pretty pathetic and that sort of includes my team, the Mets. Yes, they're a good team but great no and as good as some of the AL teams, I don't know.

Red Sox nation needs to send a lovely gift to Eric Wedge and to Fausto Carmona. Da Sawx shudda been swept at home by the lowly Tribe!

Doug Mirabelli is not the answer (except perhaps to the question who would finish last in a foot race between Hafner, Thome, and Mirabelli). And is David Wells done? That guy owns the Tribe, but he was baruttal the other night...

I'm not counting Wells out yet. It was his first start since the end of May. Give him at least a couple more to find his form before we declare him toast. At which point, you can declare the Sox toast, too. :(

Cardinals fans have got to be worried. The Phillies swept a 3 game series in whcih the Cards never had a lead. They look totally pathetic right now.

If you want my opinion, the whole NL is pretty pathetic and that sort of includes my team, the Mets. Yes, they're a good team but great no and as good as some of the AL teams, I don't know.

Yep, the whole league looks so weak. Only 5 of the 16 teams have a record above .500. And what did any team(Except the Dodgers) do to try to improve themselves? I can see the fear that a team might give up the next Kasmir, but sometimes, you have to take a chance to improve yourselves now. Could the Cards beat the Sox(Red, or White) The Tigers,Twins, Angels? I seriously doubt it. Their starting pitchers except for Carpenter, are weak. The Mets? A very good team, but do you think they have enough starting pitching? Seems awfully old to me. Glavine always has a better first half, than second half.

You know what team in the NL would have the best chance against an AL team? The Marlins! They should have rented Soriano for a few months....

I saw the Marlins the last few nights as they were playing the Mets. If they hadn't gotten off to such a terrible start -- people were picking them to lose over 100 -- who know what kind of race we'd have. A very excting team. Next year should be interesting in the NL East.

Yep, the whole league looks so weak. Only 5 of the 16 teams have a record above .500. And what did any team(Except the Dodgers) do to try to improve themselves? I can see the fear that a team might give up the next Kasmir, but sometimes, you have to take a chance to improve yourselves now. Could the Cards beat the Sox(Red, or White) The Tigers,Twins, Angels? I seriously doubt it. Their starting pitchers except for Carpenter, are weak. The Mets? A very good team, but do you think they have enough starting pitching? Seems awfully old to me. Glavine always has a better first half, than second half.

You know what team in the NL would have the best chance against an AL team? The Marlins! They should have rented Soriano for a few months....

Totally agree. The Fish have some great young arms. It's amazing how they win, then blow up the team, and bang they're legit contenders again. Meanwhile teams like the Phils, Cubs, etc. have one maybe two good years and then they suck for real long time. WTF??

Trash the NL if you want, but every game in last year's World Series could have gone the other way. Brutal games.

Some of you well said, if it involves Chicago and Houston, it is of no interest at all. It has to have Boston or NY.

I don't think any teams from there will be going to the World Series this year. Maybe the Yankees. Doubt it.

Hey, anyone a fan of really old time baseball photos??? While looking for a Mel Ott photo, came across this thread on a baseball forum...

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=40306

just tons of great photos, and interesting stories.(And it has a mention of my all time favorite baseball player name, Urban Shocker! :cool: ) On page 4, there was this blurb about a Benefit Game....Joe Jackson had a cannon it appears!!!! :blink:

Tim Murnane Death Benefit Game, Fenway Park, Boston, September 27, 1917. Tim Murnane, former ML player (1872-78) / Boston sports writer, 1888-1917, died unexpectedly February 7, 1917.

The AL scheduled a benefit game between an AL All-Star team and the Boston Red Sox, for his widow.

The AL All-Stars were, L-F: Hughie Jennings, Walter Johnson, Stuffy McInnis, Steve O'Neill, Joe Jackson, Ray Chapman, Ty Cobb, Buck Weaver, unknown.

Kneeling: Howard Ehmke, Rabbit Maranville, Connie Mack, Wally Schang, Tris Speaker, Urban Shocker, unknown in civilian suit.

This team lost to Red Sox pitcher Babe Ruth, 2-0. Urban Shocker/Howard Ehmke held Boston scoreless for the 1st 6 innings before Duffy Lewis drove in the winning runs off Walter Johnson in the 8th. A crowd of 17,000 raised $13,000. for the cause.

Will Rogers performed his 'rope work and other range stunts', female members of the Ziegfeld Follies sold score cards. Babe Ruth won a fungo-hitting contest at 402 feet (Walter Johnson was 3rd at 360 feet), and Joe Jackson took the throwing prize with a toss of 396 feet..

Edited by BERIGAN

Can things be looking up for the Rangers? Kip Wells pitches wonderfully in his first appearance as a Ranger, the guys have won four in a row: two from the surging Twins, and two from division rivals Angels; they've had wonderfully consistent offense for a change; Tex is coming back in a monster way!

Lookin' good for a change! :tup

Sure, I'm a Yankee fan, so I'm probably violating some code here. But, Ortiz ... that guy is on f^&*ing fire!!! :huh:

No, I think any baseball fan should recognize Ortiz's accomplishments. You don't have to like him but you have to respect him.

No, I think any baseball fan should recognize Ortiz's accomplishments. You don't have to like him but you have to respect him.

I think it'd be really hard not to like the guy, even for a Yankee fan. You can always respect him, like him, and dread him. ;)

I tell you I wasn't too happy for the Met fans rooting for Utley's streak to end. I would have liked to see it continue. It would have been something if he could have gotten past Rose's 44 so he just had 12 games to go.

Man, I watched that game last night and I couldn't believe they were booing him. They even booed him today when he batted in the 9th. I don't understand it. The guy is a class act. Did he say something to the NY press???

Well, since I gushed about the Rangers two days ago, they've returned to their losing ways. My God, what do we have to do to get rid of Brad Wilkerson? He's terrible!

Also, don't pitchers usually get a warning after throwing a so-called beanball? Adam Eaton gives up a three-run shot in the first inning; his next pitch sails behind the next Angels batter, and Eaton gets ejected! What a crock! Whatever happened to the "warning?" Not that it would've affected the game at all, but IMHO it was a BS call.

I'm back from a lost weekend in Tampa. First, the Sox give away four unearned runs for Wells, pull to within one then have one of the youngsters blow the game up. Then for Sunday's game, we went with a couple plus their 3 year old. Knowing that he was unlikely to make it through the game, I suggested we leave at the end of fifth, when we were up 6-2, partially so that I could make it back to south Florida at a reasonable hour. Good idea, because the bullpen, including Papelbon, gave the game back and Tavarez f*cked it away in the tenth. To top it off, with Tampa being the Yankee spring training site, there are far too many Yankee fans. It almost felt like I imagine it would be at the Toilet.

So the Sox are in free fall, and I really don't give a crap right now ... what I wanted to share with you guys is the fact that the Devil Rays have come up with a new promotion designed to give the team some sort of home field advantage. Friday night they gave out cowbells, with the expectation that people would bring cowbells to the games on an ongoing basis. It was definitely annoying, but probably not as bad as thunderstix, which they are obviously emulating.

So ... when they are trying to get the fans into it, what does the scoreboard say?

MORE COWBELL!!

:g

Unfortunately, they haven't licensed the SNL sketch, which is pretty lame. They should at least show the sketch during the pre-game, before they go over when you're supposed to pound your cowbell.

Edited by Dan Gould