2006 MLB Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mets catcher, Paul LoDuca, said they came to Atlanta to bury the Mets and they are in fact doing it. It's 7-0 so far.

Not sure why you hate the Mets since they've rarely tasted success since the late 80s early 90s. In fact, if they win the division this year, it will be their first division title since 1988. That's a pretty long streak.

I understand hating the Yankees because of their record of success but I'm not sure why you hate the Sox also. That's one of the more likeable teams around. And I'll be, as I have been, rooting for them to get back to the Series.

I dislike all three for the same reasons:

1) They're all trying to buy their way to the series. I'm sorry, but putting together all-star teams and spending nine figures to do it takes all of the fun out of it. Those three teams exemplify everything that is wrong with baseball.

2) They're not the White Sox or the Cardinals.

Looks like the Yankees have finally "solved" their corner outfield problem:

Abreu and Lidle heading to the Bronx

I'm curious how my Yankee friends feel about this move. Some random observations:

Since it appears the Yanks are "only" giving up their number one selection from last year, plus a 27 year old reliever and one more minor prospect, its a much better deal than if they had given in on Hughes or one of their other blue chippers.

If Matsui and Sheffield make it back, some important players will be sitting on the bench a lot (Bernie, Melky, Bubba).

Doesn't this have to mean that Sheffield is done in New York? You've got Matsui, Damon, Abreu. Where/when does Melky get his chance again? What's the point of keeping him? If Sheffield comes back, where does he play, especially considering that Giam-balco has to get more than a few at-bats as DH?

I heard that the Red Sox were in on Abreu, but possibly only to drive up the price for the Yanks. I got a little scared off by some of the scout comments I was reading - that Abreu loafs; that he pads his stats in meaningless situations (don't they already have A-Rod for that? ;) ); that he's really lost something since last year's All-Star break.

As a Sox fan I am inclined to think that the Yanks are once again overpaying (in terms of salary) for someone on the wrong side of 30. My only fear is how the short porch may bring his power back. He's also like Giambi in the way that he gets on base. That will definitely help the offense.

Lidle - well he's not the worst pitcher on the block, but I can't see him as being all that different from what they have. If this means the Sox end up with Leiber, well at least we know Leiber can perform in this league. Lidle's performance remains to be seen.

so what do you guys think about the big Yankee deal?

The Mets catcher, Paul LoDuca, said they came to Atlanta to bury the Mets and they are in fact doing it. It's 7-0 so far.

Not sure why you hate the Mets since they've rarely tasted success since the late 80s early 90s. In fact, if they win the division this year, it will be their first division title since 1988. That's a pretty long streak.

I understand hating the Yankees because of their record of success but I'm not sure why you hate the Sox also. That's one of the more likeable teams around. And I'll be, as I have been, rooting for them to get back to the Series.

well, here's one reason: the Tigers are the best team in baseball right now, the Twins are right behind them and they are playing each other right now, yet who is on the national ESPN game tonight? the Yankees!! Who was on the Fox game yesterday? The Red Sox! Yes, it's not the teams' fault, but I hate it when the networks always show the same teams every week! Do they actually think everyone east of California wants to see these same teams week after week? What does it take to put the Tigers or Twins on the game of the week? And the Mets have always been a favorite team to hate. Just because they are the Mets! One of the greatest baseball moments for me was Sept 99 when Chipper single-handedly eliminated the Mets from the NL East race (kinda like Beltran is doing now to the Braves!)

Actually its the Red Sox on ESPN and it would be very hard to argue that the Sox vs the Angels isn't a primetime worthy game.

And if you hate it when the networks show the same teams, try living in south Florida which the networks think is actually named South New York. If there is a choice, they will pick up the Yankee or Met game every time. And in football season, you'd think the Jets were the local team.

well, here's one reason: the Tigers are the best team in baseball right now, the Twins are right behind them and they are playing each other right now, yet who is on the national ESPN game tonight? the Yankees!! Who was on the Fox game yesterday? The Red Sox! Yes, it's not the teams' fault, but I hate it when the networks always show the same teams every week! Do they actually think everyone east of California wants to see these same teams week after week? What does it take to put the Tigers or Twins on the game of the week? And the Mets have always been a favorite team to hate. Just because they are the Mets! One of the greatest baseball moments for me was Sept 99 when Chipper single-handedly eliminated the Mets from the NL East race (kinda like Beltran is doing now to the Braves!)

That's a fact of life about the networks wanting east or west coast teams. As far as the Tigers this is the first time they've been good in about 30 years so I don't there is going to be a huge outpouring for the Tigers. If they play well for a couple of years, well, maybe. As for the Twins, they're a small target team, not much following I'd bet outside of the midwest or Minnesota.

Rather be hated than ignored :D

That's a fact of life about the networks wanting east or west coast teams. As far as the Tigers this is the first time they've been good in about 30 years so I don't there is going to be a huge outpouring for the Tigers. If they play well for a couple of years, well, maybe. As for the Twins, they're a small target team, not much following I'd bet outside of the midwest or Minnesota.

Rather be hated than ignored :D

22 years, dude.

And obviously, midwest baseball has been the place to be for a few years. St. Louis was making some noise for a bit, obviously the White Sox ruled last year, and now the Tigers are looking insane with both the Sox and the Twins in hot pursuit.

I think it's time that the midwest teams start getting a little more respect. I think our teams have earned it by this point. Except for the Royals, of course.

1) They're all trying to buy their way to the series. I'm sorry, but putting together all-star teams and spending nine figures to do it takes all of the fun out of it. Those three teams exemplify everything that is wrong with baseball.

Yeah right. And I'm sure that if the White Sox had sell-outs from a fan base happy to pay the highest ticket prices in the league, and therefore had the revenue for payroll, you'd go looking for another team to root for. :rolleyes:

I call "bullshit".

Yeah right. And I'm sure that if the White Sox had sell-outs from a fan base happy to pay the highest ticket prices in the league, and therefore had the revenue for payroll, you'd go looking for another team to root for. :rolleyes:

I call "bullshit".

Of course I wouldn't. But the White Sox aren't and the Red Sox and the Yankees are. So fuck them.

Yankee fans who figure Abreu will regain his power stroke at the stadium:

take a look at this.

Its Abreu's hitting chart for this year. Click on "fly outs": The guy doesn't hit the ball in the air to rightfield anymore. It looks like about 60% of his fly outs are to left, and maybe 90% are to left, center or the infield. Hitting so few home runs this year, at a stadium that is much more of a home run park than Yankee Stadium,, I feel much better that he won't morph into Giambi.

2) They're not the White Sox or the Cardinals.

Sorry but you're wrong. Left side of the infield is home grown. Valentin signed through free agency (but nobody wanted him). Catcher, right fielder and first base from trades. Third, fourth and fifth starters free agency (where again nobody wanted them) or trades. They've signed a couple of big names (Pedro, Beltran and Glavine) but that's how you build teams: home grown, trades and free agent signings.

Looks like the Yankees have finally "solved" their corner outfield problem:

Abreu and Lidle heading to the Bronx

I'm curious how my Yankee friends feel about this move. Some random observations:

Since it appears the Yanks are "only" giving up their number one selection from last year, plus a 27 year old reliever and one more minor prospect, its a much better deal than if they had given in on Hughes or one of their other blue chippers.

If Matsui and Sheffield make it back, some important players will be sitting on the bench a lot (Bernie, Melky, Bubba).

Doesn't this have to mean that Sheffield is done in New York? You've got Matsui, Damon, Abreu. Where/when does Melky get his chance again? What's the point of keeping him? If Sheffield comes back, where does he play, especially considering that Giam-balco has to get more than a few at-bats as DH?

I heard that the Red Sox were in on Abreu, but possibly only to drive up the price for the Yanks. I got a little scared off by some of the scout comments I was reading - that Abreu loafs; that he pads his stats in meaningless situations (don't they already have A-Rod for that? ;) ); that he's really lost something since last year's All-Star break.

As a Sox fan I am inclined to think that the Yanks are once again overpaying (in terms of salary) for someone on the wrong side of 30. My only fear is how the short porch may bring his power back. He's also like Giambi in the way that he gets on base. That will definitely help the offense.

Lidle - well he's not the worst pitcher on the block, but I can't see him as being all that different from what they have. If this means the Sox end up with Leiber, well at least we know Leiber can perform in this league. Lidle's performance remains to be seen.

so what do you guys think about the big Yankee deal?

Well, I sure ain't one of those Yankee fans, but...I think the Yankees made a great deal. Abreu has a .427 OBP, and while I can't find it on ESPN, they mentioned last week that he hits around .340 with runners in scoring postion, which probably explains his 65 RBI's with only 8 homers. And after seeing Damon hit 2 fly balls that somehow made it into the upper deck, Abreu will get a few homers in Yankee stadium, I am sure. Amazingly, he also has 20 steals, pretty darn good for a big guy.

I think your fav ex-GM ESPN analyst mentioned that the the Yankees fifth starter Hasn't made it past the 5th inning in something like 9 out of 17 starts(Something like that) and Lidle has made it thru the 5th in all but 1 start, so an upgrade for sure there.

The only thing I have against trades so late in the season, is guys who switch leagues often(especially from the NL to AL) have trouble adjusting, so it will be interesting to see how they do.

Although I don't know a whole lot about the four guys the Yankees ponied up (only two names are even familiar) I'll most always go with proven major league commodities rather than potential. The move from the high minors to the show is not exactly a hop, skip and a jump. Sure, some of these guys could turn out to be all-stars, but as Joe Torre said yesterday, the Yankees are all about now. Given that philosophy, I think this is a terrific move. I can already hear the short porch in right whispering to Abreu, "come to papa." Lidle is the wild card here. For sure, he a better fifth starter than any of the cannon fodder the Yank's have trotted out on the bump all year. And, he's won four straight for the Phillies so he's clearly pitching well. This also allows the Yanks to move Chacon and Ponson to the pen where they might be more effective as set up guys, as Chacon was the other night against the Rangers.

The interesting part of this, as Dan has pointed out, is how this affects guys like Williams, Cabrerra and, most importantly, Sheffield. Sheff's position is right field, so getting Abreu sends a pretty clear message that he his days in the Bronx are numbered. That means he can either pout and do nothing, or come out swinging trying to up the ante when he goes on the market after the season is over. As much of a competitor as he is, I would opt for the latter.

If the Yanks do get both Sheffield and Matsui back in a month or so, the offensive line-up they can put on the field is, in a word, awesome. Of course they still have to pitch. I thought The Unit was coming around until his outing on Saturday against the Rays. Two steps forward followed by one back, isn't going to get it done. He has to be the stopper, the #1 guy no questions asked. Not sure he has that in him any more.

Question now is this; are the Red Sox compelled to make a move before the end of the day to try and keep up?

Up over and out.

Although I don't know a whole lot about the four guys the Yankees ponied up (only two names are even familiar) I'll most always go with proven major league commodities rather than potential. The move from the high minors to the show is not exactly a hop, skip and a jump. Sure, some of these guys could turn out to be all-stars, but as Joe Torre said yesterday, the Yankees are all about now. Given that philosophy, I think this is a terrific move. I can already hear the short porch in right whispering to Abreu, "come to papa." Lidle is the wild card here. For sure, he a better fifth starter than any of the cannon fodder the Yank's have trotted out on the bump all year. And, he's won four straight for the Phillies so he's clearly pitching well. This also allows the Yanks to move Chacon and Ponson to the pen where they might be more effective as set up guys, as Chacon was the other night against the Rangers.

What I find remarkable is how the Phillies ultimately accepted crap and even agreed to be the ones to pay Abreau to waive the no-trade clause. When they started offering Abreu a year ago, they wanted a major league starter. No takers. Then they demand top drawer prospects like Hughes. No deal. Now they accept four guys, the top one (that first round pick shortstop) can't even hit in low A ball right now.

Did you see my post about Abreu's hitting chart? He simply does not hit the ball in the air to right field. Period. I'm sure that the porch will beckon him like a siren, as the Monster does to righties who come to the Sox, but you actually have to get it there, and its pretty clear that Abreu lost that stroke.

Lidle - yes, he is an innings eater and an upgrade over Ponson. But he also has a 4.75 ERA in the NL, which makes sense since he had a 5.75 ERA his last year in the AL. Will he make a real difference if his ERA goes up to 6, as the current numbers suggest would happen to any NL pitcher with his stats?

As for Ponson and Chacon, I'd be surprised if both are on the roster after today. They have to move two people out to make room, and one of those two will probably be DFA'd.

The interesting part of this, as Dan has pointed out, is how this affects guys like Williams, Cabrerra and, most importantly, Sheffield. Sheff's position is right field, so getting Abreu sends a pretty clear message that he his days in the Bronx are numbered. That means he can either pout and do nothing, or come out swinging trying to up the ante when he goes on the market after the season is over. As much of a competitor as he is, I would opt for the latter.

Here's something to think about: Nixon may be headed to the DL and is a free agent anyway. The Sox considered Abreu and it was pretty obvious that they probably won't make a big effort to keep Trot. How would you like to see old Sheff swinging at the Monster 81 games a year? You better hope that the Yankees pick up his option (and he accepts being a DH next year) because otherwise I think its inevitable that the Sox would make a major push to sign Sheffield.

Question now is this; are the Red Sox compelled to make a move before the end of the day to try and keep up?

After the events of yesterday, it is obvious to me that today is the single most important day of the season for the Red Sox. What they do before 4 pm; whether Nixon may be out for a while; and whether Wells shows that he is the equivalent of a major impact pitching addition when he goes tonite will say a lot about how the rest of the season goes.

I hate the idea of feeling forced to do something just to respond to the Yankees, particularly if that involves moving any of the youngsters. We've been saying IN THEO WE TRUST and I just hope that he makes smart moves and not over-reaction moves.

Edited by Dan Gould

Not sure how much I agree with Dan W. here--I still think the Yanks' great 1996-2001 era was a result of Steinbrenner's being off the scene for a couple of years. Still, interesting to see somebody defending the Boss:

The Boss is back

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

July 30, 2006

The New York Yankees made their annual trade deadline deal, picking up a couple of pieces (and a couple more huge contracts) to help get them to October, just the kind of move that sends small-market fans into a rage.

This time the Yankees grabbed outfielder Bobby Abreu and his .427 on-base percentage, and pitcher Cory Lidle and his much-needed live arm, from the Philadelphia Phillies. In return, they gave up a slew of prospects that no one seems too worried about.

It was a deal that surprised no one because New York could do what perhaps no other team could – stare down Abreu's $15.5 million 2007 salary without blinking. It wasn't the prospects that clinched the deal for the Yankees, it was their cash reserves that made them the only logical trading partner.

All of which is the result of having the best owner in professional sports – George Steinbrenner.

Yeah, we know, all non-Yankee fans hate Steinbrenner. The guy gets ripped nonstop – on the Internet, on the radio, in the papers, even on Seinfeld. He is the poster child for the revenue disparity that has crippled the competitiveness of as much as a third of Major League Baseball. He can be boorish, arrogant and irrational. There is an understandable sport in watching him spend and spend and fall short, as he has since 2000.

But to confuse that with a lack of appreciation for Steinbrenner, the ultimate "fan-owner," is shortsighted. To blame him for baseball's financial mess is to confuse the player and the game. It is the fault of MLB and its owners for allowing a system in which the Yankees' annual payroll can soar to more than $200 million.

Steinbrenner is just playing by the rules.

Steinbrenner has turned baseball upside down because his thirst for championships is greater than even the most die-hard Yankee fan. Combine that with a daring and often innovative business mind and you have the perfect owner – a guy who is 100 percent committed, even to the point of financial foolishness, to winning championships.

What fan doesn't want that out of his owner? What fan doesn't want management that not only puts its money where its mouth is but also spends its free time finding new ways to get more money to put where its mouth is?

The Yankees are the most popular team in the nation's most populous market, so its advantages are obvious. But that doesn't mean they can't lose.

CBS owned the team from 1964 to 1973. It was a miserable run where corporate accountants kept slashing costs, the team made nary a postseason appearance and eventually the corporation sold the team to Steinbrenner for $10 million, far less than it had paid.

Steinbrenner hasn't been perfect, but from the start he understood that to make the Yankees dominant, you had to think (and spend) New York big.

In 1974 Steinbrenner gave Catfish Hunter a huge deal, and nothing really has changed since, even though the 74-year-old has stepped back a bit from the day-to-day operations.

Business-wise, Steinbrenner continues to run the best franchise in baseball, maximizing every last revenue stream. From renovating Yankee Stadium in the '70s to the use of cable television in the '80s to marketing deals in the '90s to the '02 creation of the YES television network, he has been the model of how to run a pro sports team.

Steinbrenner has committed the majority of the funding for the Yankees' new $1 billion stadium, rather than holding up taxpayers for the full bill like so many other, wealthier pro sports owners.

All of that has taken a steel will. He long has run the business with thin profit margins – if any at all. According to the New York Times, the Yankees lost money in five of Steinbrenner's first six years of ownership. But the Boss was happy because the Yankees won three pennants and two World Series.

As recently as 2005, the team lost between $50 million and $85 million, according to the New York Daily News, which doesn't mean that Steinbrenner is in the poorhouse (or that the franchise's value doesn't keep multiplying) but still, how many other owners are willing to do that?

But that's the gamble. A gamble he has long been willing to make.

Yes, the Yankees have advantages being in New York, but the distance between them and other franchises is greater than it should be. There is no reason the Chicago Cubs, with their big market, national fan base and national television deal, couldn't rival the Yankees on and off the field. But the Cubs are owned by the Tribune Company, a corporation that would rather suck out profits than reinvest in winning.

Other big-market clubs such as the Los Angeles Dodgers, Boston Red Sox (until recently), Atlanta Braves, San Francisco Giants and New York Mets have stumbled with different ownership groups that lacked the vision, brains or the guts to match Steinbrenner.

Steinbrenner runs the most aggressive money-making franchise. He reinvests into the on-field product, which in turn produces more money to be reinvested. A lot of owners just cut and run.

While Steinbrenner has stumbled often – and who knows whether this trade will even get the Yankees to the playoffs – the failures are mostly the result of trying too hard.

So you can curse the Yankees for, once again, loading up on players without regard to money, you can hate hopelessness of baseball in Kansas City and Pittsburgh, but you can't fault the Boss for reaping what he's been sowing for over three decades and once again going all in for the World Series.

And you can wish your favorite team's owner was just as committed.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist.

Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

All true. He plays w/ zero passion.

Agree to all.

What I find remarkable is how the Phillies ultimately accepted crap and even agreed to be the ones to pay Abreau to waive the no-trade clause. When they started offering Abreu a year ago, they wanted a major league starter. No takers. Then they demand top drawer prospects like Hughes. No deal. Now they accept four guys, the top one (that first round pick shortstop) can't even hit in low A ball right now.

Not sure if this really qualifies as a "trade". It's a salary dump move, pure and simple. They just saved something like $20 million on Abreu alone. They would have taken anything to not have to be stuck w/ that albatross of a contract any longer. Abreu will be good but he best days are behind him. Certainly not woth the $16 million he is due next season. Lidle has been lights out lately.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Flash Gordon gone by the end of the day.

Edited by Chalupa

I wouldn't be surprised to see Flash Gordon gone by the end of the day.

Now that's a move I'd support if Theo can pull it off. We need help in the set-up corps.

Sean McAdams in the Providence Journal:

Clemens, of course, is the name that won't go away. Friends of the Rocket insist he's sorry that he chose the Astros over the Red Sox.

After finally getting some run support yesterday, the bullpen blew Clemens' lead, leaving him with a 2-4 record. The Astros, meanwhile, are seven games under .500 and six games out of the wild-card race.

Clemens would love to be dealt to the Red Sox, but doesn't want to antagonize his hometown by asking for a trade. Similarly, owner Drayon McLane, having won the furious bidding war for Clemens two months ago, doesn't want to alienate Astros fans by dealing Clemens.

If Clemens could make a trade seem like the Astros' idea, he'd be all for it. And if the Astros got cover from Clemens and could say that a deal was made at Clemens' request, they'd make it.

But since neither side is going to accommodate the other, Clemens is stuck.

All I can say is that until 4 pm, I'm going to keep all digits crossed in hopes that this can somehow be pulled off. That is the kind of move that would make Torre, Cashman and old George crap their pants.

Edited by Dan Gould