2006 MLB Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone with observations on the season so far?

Well, I never figured the Rangers to be tied for first at the break, but then I also didn't figure on the AL West as being the weakest division in baseball this year. How sad it is that this division has to have a representative in the playoffs, while other more worthy teams will be shut out of the playoffs by virtue of the fact that they're NOT in the AL West. :bad:

Somehow, someway....the braves are only 6 1/2 games out of the Wild Card race! :eye: Of course, there are 8 teams ahead of us. As I have said for several years, the Braves really need to finish out of the money for once, to get folks to realize that a team with a bunch of soft tossers, and a bunch of free swingers cannot compete for the W.S. And ownership that acts like we are a small market(Well over 4 million live in and around Atlanta) and can't spend a dime to get a real bullpen. For all this teams faults, if we had a Papelbon type(I know, pitchers like him grow on trees) we would likely be in 1st place. But, again who wants to be the Washington Generals for the A.L come October????

Of course living in Jacksonville Florida in the 80's, if there weren't Braves games on TBS, I wouldn't have become a fan....there will be a lot fewer Braves fans in the future, but hey, now the station will be like the other faceless sports channels ! <_<

TBS to air non-Braves games in '08

By TIM TUCKER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/12/06

Since Ted Turner had the seemingly zany idea in the 1970s of beaming his baseball team's games off the satellite and across the country, the Braves have been national television fare, even earning the moniker "America's Team" for a while.

But the team's status as a national television property — sharply reduced in recent years — will essentially disappear under a new broadcast deal between TBS and Major League Baseball.

The deal, announced Tuesday, gives TBS the television rights to games not involving the Braves for the first time. The seven-year deal includes all of the division series playoff games starting in 2007 and 26 regular-season Sunday afternoon games per year starting in 2008.

TBS will continue with its original commitment to show 70 regular-season Braves games nationally next year. But starting in 2008, the network's deal to televise Braves games nationally is dissolved, and the Braves become just another team in the new national package on TBS.

Under the deal, TBS can show a maximum of 13 games per season of any single team — the Braves or any other — on its Sunday afternoon national schedule starting in 2008.

Viewers in Atlanta, though, still will be able to watch the Braves on television. TBS, officially known as WTBS locally, will show 45 Braves games per season in the metro Atlanta market from 2008 through 2013, but no more than 13 of those — and potentially fewer — will be carried nationally. Between now and 2008, Turner Sports president David Levy said, TBS will work on how to show its non-national Braves telecasts in other Southeastern markets.

Also, by 2008, about 105 Braves games per season will be shown in Atlanta and across the Southeast on regional cable channels FSN South and Turner South, with a dozen or so others likely to be shown by ESPN or Fox.

The new deal will make TBS the exclusive carrier of division series games starting next season. In the event of overlapping division series games, Levy said, some could be shifted to TNT, which like TBS is part of Atlanta-based Turner Broadcasting. The deal also puts the MLB All-Star selection show on TBS starting next year and any tiebreaker games for division titles or wild-card berths on TBS starting this season.

"This is very exciting," Levy said. "This is the first time in our history we've carried postseason baseball, and that, coupled with our long-term relationship with NASCAR and our continuing relationship with the NBA, puts Turner Sports in a very prime position."

The tradeoff, though, is the end of a three-decades-old tradition of the Braves as national programming.

"Unfortunately, you can't have it all," Levy said. "You have to give up something to get something sometimes.

"The playoffs and how the models work for us, the displacement costs of other programming, what else is on TBS and audience flow — a lot of factors went into it. We kept as much as we possibly could as far as financially and consumer viewing habits."

The deal continues a trend of TBS downsizing its Braves coverage from a peak of 150 national telecasts to 70 this season, and three years ago it temporarily benched long-time Braves announcers Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren to try to create more neutral telecasts.

Levy said it is "way too early" to consider who will announce the new package of games.

Also Tuesday, Major League Baseball announced a seven-year extension of its national broadcast deal with Fox.

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/b...es/0711tbs.html

FWIW

MLB's Extra Innings is free on comcast digital cable for the next week

won't help me. :angry:

But what really makes me :rmad: is the way DirectTV packages their sports offerings. NESN is part of all of those regional sports networks, and they have a package that includes all of them. But to get the baseball broadcasts of any of those regional sports networks, you have to buy Extra Innings, which I just cannot justify the cost.

Bottom line is that, since buying our house and going to satelite TV, I don't even get standard cable offerings like Sunshine. So, NO chance to see Devil Ray games when they're playing the Sox, and no Florida State football either. Basically, unless I give in and buy Extra Innings, the only baseball I can get is national broadcasts by ESPN or Fox, plus those increasingly rare TBS broadcasts, plus WGN. And being in south Florida, anytime they can show a New York team they do, so half the time that Fox has the Red Sox as the national game, we end up with the regional coverage, be it Yankees or Mets.

Dan,

I feel for you. One of the many reasons that I finally bailed on Satellite. I loved it for a while, but in Chicago, Comcast is the only game in town for baseball games (unless you buy something like Extra Innings...which is stupid when you're in the same town as your favorite team). When I was single, going to Jimbo's for games when I wasn't gigging was fine. But now that I'm married, (and living another 7 miles outside of Bridgeport), I can't justify that. So, comcast was the only option.

Would going the cable route give you any more options?

Would going the cable route give you any more options?

Well going back to cable would restore the local TV games on Sunshine, but the whole reason that we went satelite when we moved was because we heard horror stories about Adelphia from different people, basically that both price and service were outrageously bad. So I don't think that's an option.

And no indication that DirectTv is a part of this Extra Innings promotion, either.

I should mention that there is one advantage to satelite: I get "ESPNA" which I believe stands for ESPN-Alternate. Normally its blank but when there's regional ESPN coverage, like when the Yankee game got switched to 8 pm on a Sunday, I get both broadcasts.

Dan, I have dish network, and get Turner South(Meaning, I don't get the guys who have been the Braves broadcasters forever, but at least can see the games) which got me thinking if they had that Sunshine channel. I see it on this list for America's Top 180.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/program...=10045&sortby=1

But, are there 2 Sunshine sports channels? The one one this list doesn't mention baseball....

Dan, I have dish network, and get Turner South(Meaning, I don't get the guys who have been the Braves broadcasters forever, but at least can see the games) which got me thinking if they had that Sunshine channel. I see it on this list for America's Top 180.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/program...=10045&sortby=1

But, are there 2 Sunshine sports channels? The one one this list doesn't mention baseball....

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty certain that Sunshine used to cover D-Rays baseball. Maybe its under another Fox regional channel now.

Back to the important stuff:

More reasons the Yanks should be worried:

Red Sox had more away games than any other team in the first half, so they have more home games than any other team in the second half (44-32 is how the remainder split), and we know how the Sox play at home.

Coming out of the break, the Sox are looking at a stretch of 26 out of 38 games being played at home. Definitely the time to get some daylight between us and the rest of the division. It might take a minor miracle - or a major trade - for the Yankees to make a move between now and the mid-August 5 game set at Fenway.

In addition to the friendly split of home-away games, when the Sox are out of the Fens, its never for very long. Only five road trips remain, and all but one are two series or less (I will admit though, that 9 game road trip (Angels, Seattle, Oakland) comes at a critical time, as it is bracketed by the Yanks going and the Blue Jays and White Sox when they return. I dare say, the situation coming out of that stretch will be critical to the outcome of the race.

Dan,

I'll bet you wouldn't be whistlin' that Red Sox tune if you'd known the Yanks had signed Sidney Ponson. I'm feeling a lot better about our chances now that we've taken on another used up arm. This smacks of desperation and just about no place left to turn. If I was Brian Cashman, I think I'd be spiffin' up my resume.

Up over and out.

Dan,

I'll bet you wouldn't be whistlin' that Red Sox tune if you'd known the Yanks had signed Sidney Ponson. I'm feeling a lot better about our chances now that we've taken on another used up arm. This smacks of desperation and just about no place left to turn. If I was Brian Cashman, I think I'd be spiffin' up my resume.

Up over and out.

Yeah, I was laughing about that signing all the way until Loretta non-chalanted the groundball and the tying run scored. Last night makes two games in a row that a total lack of clutch hitting allowed a beaten team to slip past us. Pisses me off even more having it happen at home. What should be a 4.5 game lead is instead a scant 2.5. Cash may not have to spiff up his resume after all.

FWIW

MLB's Extra Innings is free on comcast digital cable for the next week

While Direct TV did nothing to promote this little freebie, I decided to check the Extra Innings channels last night so I had the great pleasure of watching the collapse with the hometown television crew. :rmad:

When exactly does it end? If the Red Sox keep pissing away games, the end of the promotion may coincide with the end of my marriage.

Hey Jazzy Paul, I tell you this without fear of contradiction:

Whoever thinks the White Sox are the best team in the majors is crazy. Ya should have been swept by the Red Sox and you're about to be swept by the Yankees. What makes you think the pitching staff can get it done? Contreras was beaten by the Sox if not for a fluke, now he gets beaten by the Yankees, and Buerhle gets his clock cleaned yet again. No way in hell will the White Sox catch Detroit. You look more like the 2004 Red Sox, with great hitting and a pitching staff that may or not put it together in time to win when it counts.

Oh, and thanks loads for *&^%$# help.

I guess Thursday night's offensive barrage was a fluke after all. Who'da guessed that some timely pitching by Millwood & the bullpen would shut down the O's? 'course, this is the O's we're talking about here.... <_<

Edited by Big Al

I guess Thursday night's offensive barrage was a fluke after all. Who'da guessed that some timely pitching by Millwood & the bullpen would shut down the O's? 'course, this is the O's we're talking about here.... <_<

Is it possible Texas can win with both offense and pitching?

(well, maybe against the O's, right? ;) )

Sorry for not doing anything to help you out this weekend.

Is it possible Texas can win with both offense and pitching?

Maybe this is one of those years where they finally get it right! One can always dream, which is what I've been doing for the last 30-odd years..... ;)

Sorry for not doing anything to help you out this weekend.

No problem; I'm sure we'd do the same against the Yankees for you guys at some point...... :P

Whoever thinks the White Sox are the best team in the majors is crazy. Ya should have been swept by the Red Sox and you're about to be swept by the Yankees. What makes you think the pitching staff can get it done? Contreras was beaten by the Sox if not for a fluke, now he gets beaten by the Yankees, and Buerhle gets his clock cleaned yet again. No way in hell will the White Sox catch Detroit. You look more like the 2004 Red Sox, with great hitting and a pitching staff that may or not put it together in time to win when it counts.

Here's hoping that 5-inning Wright can show some stuff today and the Yanks can sweep. We still need pitching but if we can stay this close while our 250 RBI twosome of Sheffield and Matsui recuperate and then get into playing shape (and when will Cano come off the shelf?), we can be pretty dangerous once September rolls around. Don't know if I want Abreu but the Boss is stupidly upping the price by telegraphing that he wants him.

Here's hoping that 5-inning Wright can show some stuff today and the Yanks can sweep. We still need pitching but if we can stay this close while our 250 RBI twosome of Sheffield and Matsui recuperate and then get into playing shape (and when will Cano come off the shelf?), we can be pretty dangerous once September rolls around. Don't know if I want Abreu but the Boss is stupidly upping the price by telegraphing that he wants him.

I think Abreu makes more sense for the Yankees than he does for the Sox, yet the word seems to be that the Sox are at least as interested, probably to keep him out of pinstripes. Personally, while he doesn't have the intimidation factor that Sheffield carries, he's a better defender, is several years younger, has a better eye than Sheffield (career .400 OBP) and is likely to find that right field porch extremely inviting. Its also more of a Yankee move to get him, seeing as he isn't young anymore, has big bucks coming to him next year (even more than Sheffield would cost) and would insist on having his option year picked up at 16 mil for him to waive his no-trade.

Yeah, that's a Yankee move. ;)

Yet, the Sox are reportedly deeply interested, too, and while I agree that Papi-Manny-Abreu is a lot scarier than Papi-Manny-(Nixon-Lowell-Varitek), the club intention to get younger and more athletic isn't served by committing so much money to an aging Abreu. Especially with Wily Mo Pena waiting to take over in rightfield, assuming that Nixon is allowed to walk.

Its going to take a lot to get Abreu and I have to hope that the Yanks give up their remaining blue chips, including Phillip Hughes, to get him, and the Sox sit tight.

But Abreu isn't my biggest concern with the Phils. No, my dark fear is that we're going to wake up on August 1 with Flash Gordon returning to the Bronx. That would do more to help the Yanks than anything imaginable. With Proctor and Villone and Farnsworth in the less taxing 6th-7th inning, they'd have the guns to do something that's never been seen: Make it a five inning game. That's how good their pen would be with Flash back. :o

One thing to consider about Sheffield and Matsui: the longer they are out, the more likely it is they return when the minors are finished and there's no place for a rehab assignment. How much impact can either one have if the month of September is like the month of March, spring training games that really count?

Interesting news for the Sox:

They may, just may, be able to upgrade the rotation without making any trades of their prospects or young bullpen guns. David Wells had a very strong bullpen session yesterday, his first throwing off a mound. I know its a long shot, but this has to make the Sox think twice about giving up prospects for a rental of Jason Schmidt or John Smoltz. Getting a moderately effective David Wells into the rotation in August might be the highest impact move of any AL East contender.