Thelonoius Monk-Yet Another Historical Issue

Ken Dryden

TS Monk swears that his father was never asked to a do an album of Beatles tunes. But I thought it would make a viable April Fools review at AllAboutJazz.com, since it has long been rumored to have been at least proposed. Whether or not people liked it, I have no idea, but as of today, it was the tenth most read CD review of the past 30 days and it was only posted the day before.

I was in stiches last year after a number of people contacted me trying to track down copies of Michael Bolton Sings the Duke Ellington Songbook and Yanni: A Tribute to Art Tatum.

TS Monk swears that his father was never asked to a do an album of Beatles tunes.

I wish I could remember where I picked up this rumor - I thought it was in the liner notes to the CD reissue of Monk's Blues, but it wasn't. Well, Columbia wouldn't have done themselves a favor by seeing that mentioned in a reissue on their own label ....

That Monk's recording career ended with the misguided choice of Nelson as arranger is another tragic turn in his career. Among the unissued incomplete takes from this session is Teo Macero's Thelonious' Rock ..... :rolleyes:

Brian Priestley's notes to "The London Collection Volume Three" say:

His association with CBS records, whose producer Teo Macero had worked with him sympathetically during much of the 1960s, had ended in mutual incomprehension. Doubtless under pressure from marketing and accountancy personnel, macero had teamed Monk with arranger/conductor Oliver Nelson, whose West Coast based studio band had destroyed the subtlety of Monk's music; and, in the absence of any new material from Thelonious himself, Macero had composed two facile Monk pastiches for the album. The next suggestion from CBS (whether via Macero is not clear) was that he record a selection of Beatles songs, a suggestion not taken up by Monk.

My money would be on the moronic Clive Davis coming up with that idea.

Anyone ever heard the dreadful Joe Pass World Pacific album The Stones Jazz? I'm sure Pass felt insulted to be asked, but a paycheck was a paycheck at that time and he probably didn't have the luxury of saying no until after he started making some serious money with Norman Granz.

As for the typo, oh well, I'm still recovering from a root canal and my eyesight isn't all that great reading the tiny fonts these bulletin boards utilize. I guess I could always increase them, then some folks would think that I was shouting like using all caps.

I know Joe Pass found a source of steady dates with Pablo but did this really represent "serious money"? My general understanding is that working jazz mucians make the bulk of their income from live appearances, record dates, and airplay of same, serving more as advirtising than signifacant income. Can record dates with an independent label provide a livable wage?

I almost immediately edited out my description of Clive Davis as "moronic," but evidently my server problems never got my update through to the website. (I'm firing my internet service at the end of my contract, far too many untimely disconnects). There's little sense in editing my comment now, since it has been copied into another post.

Chuck: I don't know what you would consider "better information" but at that point in Thelonious Monk's career, I would have thought it very insensitive to suggest that he record an album of 1960s pop songs, any more than any other long time Columbia jazz recording artist of that time. I know that every record company executive has the responsibility of getting the maximum exposure and profit out of each release, but jazz is a funny animal, since bestsellers are extremely rare. Why did they sign him in the first place?

Tom: As far as Joe Pass, I'm sure his extensive exposure through numerous releases on Norman Granz's Pablo label (as a soloist, leader and sideman) helped fuel interest in his concert bookings and made him financially comfortable. It would be interesting to compare his typical income from a Pablo album vs. those for Pacific Jazz or World Pacific, but that's not in the cards.