Washington DC advice....

What're you willing to spend?

What do you want to do in town?

You cool with riding the Metro? (...perhaps the best metro in the US)

I'm not looking to spend $500 a night buy will go $200. I think I need more help with the best party of the City to stay in.

For me the main attraction is The Smithsonian.

And yes, I'm cool with Metro.

Chris, you should stay in Crystal City. In addition to the Hyatt, there are another 10-12 hotels clustered nearby in a 3 block radius (take your pick: Radisson, Embassy Suites, Sheraton, Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Marriot, Days Inn, etc) and most will have decent weekend rates. There are 2 metro lines Yellow & Blue that'll get you in and out of DC in 10-12 minutes. If you're flying into Reagan National, you can walk to these hotels in 15 minutes or less. I'm a mile from that Hyatt. Take it from me, it can't get any easier. Send a PM if you need additional info.

Good advice. Two possible alternatives are:

Embassy Row in DC - a nice area, again with a Hyatt (nice Hyatts in the District) and other quality hotels, obviously closer to the heart of DC, though no quicker to get to Smithsonian - or

the Ballston/GMU area of 'downtown' Arlington - a little closer to DC, with another Hilton(s) and Hyatt (in Rosslyn, just across the Key Bridge from Georgetown, where you'll want to go) and perhaps a bit cheaper

Edited by BeBop

Last time I checked (2 years ago?), the Marriott across the street from my house charged $100-115 a night on week-ends.

It's in Bethesda MD, and they have a shuttle to metro (there's also several bus lines). It takes about 40 minutes to get to the museums. You can also part at Grosvenor metro for free, if you have a car with you (the hotel charges $8 a day for parking). Downtown Bethesda (just minutes away) has hundreds of restaurants.

Crystal City might be a bit closer, but super-depressing. Just high-rises all over the place.

If you want to try some jazz gigs, we could do a mini-organissimo reunion. Twins jazz on U street has Jeremy Pelt that W/E - I was thinking of going.

Send me a PM if you want more info on the Marriott. I don't get a commission for recommending them, nor do I get a break on my gym and pool membership!

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Super-depressing?? I can't let you get away with that...you, you, you Northern VA hater, you! :lol: Well, I guess he hasn't rolled through in awhile, 'cause, miraculously, all the 'high-rises' have shrunk down to 14 stories. ^_^ I just went out for a sandwich and shot these quick pics standing in the main drag (Rt.1) that runs through it. Hey, is it paradise? Well, I'd rather recommend the Four Seasons in Georgetown, or the Hay Adams down by the White House for $400+ a night --- but if someone's looking for a good jump off point that's 10 minutes away, has a good place to catch a pint at night (Mackey's Public House), or some decent food after wandering the Smithsonian all day (McCormicK & Schmicks, Jaleo, Morton's, Ted Turners, Legal Seafood, Ruth's Chris, or any of the dozen places on 23rd street) this isn't a bad place to hang.

Geez, if Catesta was in town tonite, he could go see the Average White Band playing at the Birchmere down the street. :cool::ph34r:

Bertrand, Did you go see John Hicks when he was at Twins in Feb?

I'd stay in the city, within walking distance to the Capitol and museums. You might pay a bit more, but you'd save a lot of time.

Truthfully, if I was coming to DC for the first time, rather than hitting VA or MD, I'd do that as well. A nice place to stay is the Henley Park Hotel over on Mass and 9th, NW. They've got a nice little jazz lounge and have someone in there on weekends. Restaurant is also quite good. The weekend rates for a small room are okay too. The other place is the Hotel George up on Capitol Hill....excellent boutique hotel, outstanding restauarnt 'Bistro Bis'...had dinner there on Wed. night. It'll set ya back a few bucks, but..... :tup

I agree, Johnny E.

I would try the Hinkley Hilton. It's actually the Washington Hilton on Connecticut Avenue, but that's where Reagan got shot, so it goes by that name.

Walking distance to Dupont Circle with some of DC's best restaurants, and Adams Morgan down Florida Avenue. Metro at Dupont Circle.

For what it's worth...

A couple weeks ago I ate at some

good restaurants around there:

* Il Porto in Old Town Alexandria on King Street (Italian)

* House of Dynasty on Telegraph Rd in Alexandria (Chinese)

* Minerva in Herndon on Centreville (Indian)

* Dukem at U. St & 12th in DC (Ethiopian)

The Metro is great! (except when you need to get your rental car out of parking

and they charge you $10 for a $5 "SmarTrip-(off)" card and you use only $3.75 of it :huh: )

Stayed at the Hyatt Dulles and the Courtyard in Springfield.

The Hyatt was nicer even tho it was cheaper.

Hope you like bracing cold weather with high winds (Is it still?) Really awful.

...but spent a lot of time going thru buildings to reach other buildings/museums.

Visited the DADA exhibit 3 times at the National Gallery and nearly went broke in their museum store. :g

Hope to return August or Sept. with warmer temps.

If you visit Washington in August, you'll be praying for those bracing cold winds. It's a hot and humid hellhole.

Thanks Randy! I'll keep that in mind, but I'm the kind of guy

who doesn't even use AC in the car even on hot 100° Texas summer days. ;)

For what it's worth...

* House of Dynasty on Telegraph Rd in Alexandria (Chinese)

Good God!! :o You were sent out to Telegraph Road?? Who did you piss off to get sent out there?? Solzenhitsyn said he'd rather get dropped back into a labor camp in the permafrost belt that go out there!! :P Catesta would wander out there and they'd find his bleached bones lying in the woods 6 months later!! Poor lad....no food...no water....bears got him. *

* I drop the kids at piano lessons once a week a mile up from that House-o-chow. ;)

From the Hinkley you are in easy reaching distance of the following restaurants

Citronelle, maybe DC's best world class restaurant

Galileo, one of DC's best, a four star restaurant.

Obelisk

Pesce

Johnny's Half Shell

Sorry I don't know more about Adams Morgan, only that locals go there more than Georgetown.

Edited by It Should be You

* I drop the kids at piano lessons once a week a mile up from that House-o-chow. ;)
:g It was nice - a bit like being surrounded by teenagers who were forced on a Sunday night

to dine with their parents, but the food was tasty and presented professionally.

(as a matter of fact, at the next table was a teenage daughter who brought a book along

because her parents basically couldn't come up with anything to say to her the whole time they were there.)