Charly Blues Legends "Live" Series Questions

Dan Gould

I scored a copy of Volume 3, B.B. King in Kansas City in 1972, and this leads me to some questions:

Does anyone have a complete list of this series, or any recommendations on other issues? Google reveals that Gatemouth Brown, Muddy Waters and Freddie King had releases but with Freddie listed as Volume 10 there are clearly some names missing and I am curious as to what may be out there and what may be very much worth acquiring.

Also, in regards to Volume 3 - I noticed that the liners are written by "Stereo Jack" Woker: Is this our very own Stereo Jack? I have a feeling it is as when I stumbled upon your catalog of Ace reissues of B.B., I knew you love B.B. almost as much as I do. ;):tup

Dan, I found some randomly with Google, and most of them seem to be listed here: http://home.swipnet.se/-w-39932/cdlists/genre/cityblues.html

So, I guess it looks like this:

Bobby Bland (CBL 750),

Muddy Waters (CBL 751)

B.B. King (CBL 752)

Gatemouth Brown (CBL 753)

Albert King : Chicago 1978 (CBL 754)

Albert King : In Canada (CBL 755)

Albert Collins (CBL 756)

Charles Brown (CBL 757)

Roy Buchanan (CBL 758)

Freddy King (CBL 759)

Also, in regards to Volume 3 - I noticed that the liners are written by "Stereo Jack" Woker: Is this our very own Stereo Jack? I have a feeling it is as when I stumbled upon your catalog of Ace reissues of B.B., I knew you love B.B. almost as much as I do. ;):tup

Yes, Dan, it was I who annotated several volumes in the series - the BB King, Freddie King, and Gatemouth Brown. I was hired by the man who supplied the tapes to Charly, which were cassettes with absolutely no information. Whatever information I provided was what I was able to dig up on my own. I believe that these were originally radio broadcasts, taken off the air by a fan, and almost certainly not authorized by the artists. :unsure:

Dan, I found some randomly with Google, and most of them seem to be listed here: http://home.swipnet.se/-w-39932/cdlists/genre/cityblues.html

So, I guess it looks like this:

Bobby Bland (CBL 750),

Muddy Waters (CBL 751)

B.B. King (CBL 752)

Gatemouth Brown (CBL 753)

Albert King : Chicago 1978 (CBL 754)

Albert King : In Canada (CBL 755)

Albert Collins (CBL 756)

Charles Brown (CBL 757)

Roy Buchanan (CBL 758)

Freddy King (CBL 759)

Thanks a lot, Jim. :tup

SJ,

I knew it was you!

Can't say as the sound is super spectacular on the B.B., there are some odd fade outs (maybe on tape flips or perhaps to lop off station IDs?) and I noticed the CEDAR insignia on the tray card. Any comments on the desirability of the others in the series?

SJ,

I knew it was you!

Can't say as the sound is super spectacular on the B.B., there are some odd fade outs (maybe on tape flips or perhaps to lop off station IDs?) and I noticed the CEDAR insignia on the tray card. Any comments on the desirability of the others in the series?

I haven't heard all of them. Frankly, I thought the Freddy King was nothing special, the Gatemouth was good but not essential. The BB was very good, but then again, how can you go wrong with BB live? And, as you noticed, the sound is adequate at best.