DVD of Stormy Weather (1943):

medjuck

In honour of he death of Fayard Nicholas I've been re-looking at various films in which the Nicholas Brothers appear (yes even Orchestra Wives). Stormy Weather features several acts that are unidentified in the credits, the commentary track is worse than useless and IMDB seems to be mistaken (I don't see Coleman Hawkins or Jo Jones anywhere in the film). Does anyone have accurate information about this film?

BTW is this the correct forum for this kind of query?

It's been awhile since I have seen this film(Did buy Cabin in the Sky though) but I am sure you are right about Coleman Hawkins not being in the film....

Here are the Allmovie.com reviews, and cast index....with Coleman listed(Perhaps he was on the soundtrack only?)

Built around the premise of a Big Stage Show, Stormy Weather affords rare "mainstream" leading roles to some of the era's greatest African-American entertainers Lena Horne, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, Dooley Wilson, Cab Calloway, Katherine Dunham, Fats Waller, and the Nicholas Brothers. The thinnish plotline—dancer Robinson has an on-again-off-again romance with Horne—is simply an excuse for fourteen lively, well-stage performances that include Horne's memorable rendition of the title song, artfully staged by director Stone. Of the fourteen musical numbers, the most memorable is Lena Horne's rendition of the title song, artfully staged by director Andrew L. Stone. Keep an eye out for uncredited contributions by jazz greats Zutty Hamilton, Coleman Hawkins and Taps Miller. — Hal Erickson

Stormy Weather is one of those '40s musical films that make the viewer wish the powers that be had just junked the supposed story line and filmed a straight revue instead. The screenplay is not really worse than many other such efforts, but it reeks of contrivance from the word go. The rise-and-fall romance between Lena Horne and Bill Robinson forms the core of the story, and it's slashed out in such broad strokes that there's no credibility to it. Fortunately, Stormy Weather spends a great deal more time singing and dancing than it does talking, and the talent on hand more than makes up for the shortcomings of the script. While some of the comedy is forced, there are no complaints about the musical numbers, with Robinson dancing across an assortment of drums in the "African Dance" and displaying his signature infectiousness throughout, and wonderful Ada Brown tearing up "That Ain't Right." The Nicholas Brothers employ enough splits and recoveries to make every viewer's eyes widen in wonder (and their thighs ache in compassion), Fats Waller delivers an insinuating "Ain't Misbehavin'" and Cab Calloway displays plenty of "hi-de-ho" magic. But it's Horne that one remembers most, from her delectable "There's No Two Ways About Love" through her lively "Diga Diga Do," and culminating in a torrid "Stormy Weather" that, even at this young age, she handles with an intimate understanding. The talents on display deserved a better script than they received, but they shine nonetheless. — Craig Butler

Lena Horne - Selina Rogers

Bill "Bojangles" Robinson - Bill Williamson

Fats Waller - Himself

Dooley Wilson - Gabe Tucker

Cab Calloway - Himself

The Nicholas Brothers - Themselves

Katherine Dunham - Herself

Ada Brown - Herself

The Tramp Band - Themselves

Babe Wallace - Chick Bailey

Ernest Whitman - Jim Europe

Zuttie Singleton - Zuttie

Mae Johnson - Herself

Johnny Lee - Lyles

Robert Felder - Cab Calloway, Jr.

Nick Stewart [Nicodemus] - Chauffeur

Eddie "Rochester" Anderson

Harold Nicholas - Himself

Flournoy E. Miller - Miller

Coleman Hawkins - Saxophonist

Edited by BERIGAN

Funny you should bring this up - I just watched the film the other night, and was also puzzled as to the identity of some of the acts, particularly those on the riverboat. I wonder if the vocal group might have been the Spirits of Rhythm. The featured singer sounds like Leo Watson, but I haven't seen enough pictures of him to make a positive ID. The personnel of Waller's band in the nightclub scene is Benny Carter (tp), Alton Moore (tb), Gene Porter (cl/ts), Fats Waller (p/vo), Irving Ashby (g), Slam Stewart (b), Zutty Singleton (d), all of whom are on the soundtrack, but I could only recognize Slam and Zutty (and Fats) on screen.

I agree about the commentary - thoroughly useless! I dumped out after about 15 minutes of his drivel. :cool:

• 8 years later...

8 years after posting this (I didn't remember doing so till Moms brought it back) I've found some answers in David Meeker's excellent Library of Congress

Jazz on Screen encyclopedia. Hawkins is apparently one of the members of the James Reese band. Though Benny Carter is heard with Fats Waller he's not seen on screen (that was someone miming.).