Ordering From Japan

Like most folks, I prefer using Mr. Tanno....but there are occasions where I'll use Amazon Japan or HMV. HMV is definitely the best because you can periodically check in on the status of your order. It's very straight forward and you can clearly see what is still on order versus what's sitting at the ready. If you get tired of waiting for those last few discs, you just put the zap on them and HMV'll soon be shipping the remainder.

Amazon Japan is just a mess. You order 12 things from them and then wait and wait and wait.

No updates, no way to tell what they actually have in hand or how far along they are in the acquisition process. They could easily have rounded up 10 of the 12 items on your list two days after you submitted the order but you'll never know it. Six weeks later you don't know if they're but one disc away from shipping --- or eleven? At some point you just say 'screw it' and go cancel everything.

CANCEL!!!

Ahhhh, that felt good! :g

Damn! What have I done? :o:rfr

:rolleyes:

Like most folks, I prefer using Mr. Tanno....but there are occasions where I'll use Amazon Japan or HMV. HMV is definitely the best because you can periodically check in on the status of your order. It's very straight forward and you can clearly see what is still on order versus what's sitting at the ready. If you get tired of waiting for those last few discs, you just put the zap on them and HMV'll soon be shipping the remainder.

Amazon Japan is just a mess. You order 12 things from them and then wait and wait and wait.

No updates, no way to tell what they actually have in hand or how far along they are in the acquisition process. They could easily have rounded up 10 of the 12 items on your list two days after you submitted the order but you'll never know it. Six weeks later you don't know if they're but one disc away from shipping --- or eleven? At some point you just say 'screw it' and go cancel everything.

CANCEL!!!

Ahhhh, that felt good! :g

Damn! What have I done? :o:rfr

:rolleyes:

Why bother? Get them from Hiroshi!

Does anyone know if Hiroshi Tanno also sells classical and pop CDs?

He doesn't, he told me he doesn't know anything about classical/pop and can't provide the same service.

Though I must add that he occasionally got me rock CDs when I gave him the specific details of the items I was looking for.

Does anyone know if Hiroshi Tanno also sells classical and pop CDs?

He doesn't, he told me he doesn't know anything about classical/pop and can't provide the same service.

Though I must add that he occasionally got me rock CDs when I gave him the specific details of the items I was looking for.

Like Daniel said, you can always ask him.

While jazz seems to be his main business he's been able to get Japanese pressings of pop LPs for me in the past, so I'd say go ahead and ask him!

He sure does......those 3 new Stones mini-lp boxes are headed my way!!! :party:

In the past I've passed Hiroshi certain catalogue numbers w/the link to a certain shop I've zeroed in on and he'll try to run down the lead. He just scored a way OOP mini-lp for me that I'd tracked down. It's a hit or miss thing. I never ask him to do the 'hunting' though. The reason I don't always knock at his door is that I don't always want to use PayPal and prefer rather to put it on plastic.

Guest Chaney

On Tanno, would it be ill-mannered of me to simply ask him which Japanese-pressed or Japan-only-issued (are there any?) Helen Merrill CDs are available and at what prices? Is that query too vague? Mr. Tanno has been good to me in the past but in the past I'd been very specific as to what I wanted.

I'd love to pick these up but refuse to pay the nutty import prices, as at CD Universe.

He sure does......those 3 new Stones mini-lp boxes are headed my way!!! :party:

Do you mind telling us how much they were? I am curious. PM me if you like.

I am more curious to see if they come in and you find that they are US pressings of the hybrid SACDs. People over on the Hoffman forum have speculated that they might be. I can't believe they'd do that.

Kevin