Teddy Charles Jazz in the Garden at the Museum of Modern Art

Hardbopjazz

-Metronome presents- : Teddy Charles New Directions Quartet : Booker Little (tp) Booker Ervin (ts) Teddy

Charles (vib) Mal Waldron (p) Addison Farmer (b) Ed Shaughnessy (d)

Live, New York, August 25, 1960

Scoochie Warwick LP2033, TCB 1003

Cycles - , -

Embraceable you (bl,be,mw out) - , -

Blues de tambour (be out) - , -

Take three parts jazz (bl,be out) : - , -

I Route 4

II Byriste

III Father George

The confined few - , -

Stardust -

-Metronome presents- : Teddy Charles New Directions Quartet : Booker Little (tp) Booker Ervin (ts) Teddy

Charles (vib) Mal Waldron (p) Addison Farmer (b) Ed Shaughnessy (d)

Live, New York, August 25, 1960

Scoochie Warwick LP2033, TCB 1003

Cycles - , -

Embraceable you (bl,be,mw out) - , -

Blues de tambour (be out) - , -

Take three parts jazz (bl,be out) : - , -

I Route 4

II Byriste

III Father George

The confined few - , -

Stardust -

Stardust is not included on the Fresh Sound cd. It does appear on Lone Hill's Booker Little Featuring Booker Ervin - New York Session and Collectables' Sounds of the Inner City . If I'm not mistaken. some earlier reisssues of this material, possibly released on the TCB label, edited out Teddy Charles' solos, for some strange reason.

Wasn't this Museum of Modern Art thing Dan Morgenstern's idea?

F

Yes. Dizzy and Rollins each made recordings there.

There also was a George Wein and the Storyville Sextet album released on Bethlehem that was recorded at MOMA in the summer of 1960. The Storyville sextet had Harold Baker, Tyree Glenn, PeeWee Russell, Wein, Bill Crow and Mickey Sheen. The album (Metronome Presents Jazz at the Modern) was produced by Teddy Charles and engineered by Peter Ind!

Stardust is not included on the Fresh Sound cd. It does appear on Lone Hill's Booker Little Featuring Booker Ervin - New York Session and Collectables' Sounds of the Inner City . If I'm not mistaken. some earlier reisssues of this material, possibly released on the TCB label, edited out Teddy Charles' solos, for some strange reason.

According to Noal Cohen's Charles discography , not only the TCB reissue , but the Collectables and Lonehill CDs contain edited versions of some tracks . Apparently the only complete and unedited CD issue of this session is on a limited-edtion ( 2000 copies ) Italian CD called , ' Booker Little & Teddy Charles Group Live -The Complete Concert ' ( Jazz View 032 1991 )

The Fresh Sounds CD has the unedited tracks but does not have Stardust . The Fresh Sounds vinyl reissue presumably also has the unedited tracks and does contain Stardust as well .

Part II of the Take Three Parts Jazz medley is called " Byriste " on the Jazz View CD , but this may be a typo , since other interations of this have it as " Lyriste " .

The Fresh Sounds vinyl reissue presumably also has the unedited tracks and does contain Stardust as well .

A look at my copy of the Fresh Sound vinyl confirms that Stardust is included.

Sorry but neither LP cover nor label do list track timings, and I don't have the time to check them ...

Edited by mikeweil

The Fresh Sounds CD has the unedited tracks but does not have Stardust . The Fresh Sounds vinyl reissue presumably also has the unedited tracks and does contain Stardust as well .

Part II of the Take Three Parts Jazz medley is called " Byriste " on the Jazz View CD , but this may be a typo , since other interations of this have it as " Lyriste " .

It's also spelled Byriste on the Warwick mono original I have.

And there's no Stardust on that one either.

On my copy of the Jazz View CD the tracks & timings are:

Scoochie 6:22

Cycles 5:31

Embraceable you 4:44

Blues de Tambour 5:44

Take Three Part Jazz 12:04

The confined view 8:09

Stardust 3:34

Its not one I play very often - the recording quality leaves something to be desired!

On my copy of the Jazz View CD the tracks & timings are:

Scoochie 6:22

Cycles 5:31

Embraceable you 4:44

Blues de Tambour 5:44

Take Three Part Jazz 12:04

The confined view 8:09

Stardust 3:34

Its not one I play very often - the recording quality leaves something to be desired!

'The recording quality leaves something to be desired'. A definite understatement.

• 9 months later...

According to Noal Cohen's Charles discography , not only the TCB reissue , but the Collectables and Lonehill CDs contain edited versions of some tracks . Apparently the only complete and unedited CD issue of this session is on a limited-edtion ( 2000 copies ) Italian CD called , ' Booker Little & Teddy Charles Group Live -The Complete Concert ' ( Jazz View 032 1991 )

Well good thing I said 'apparently' , because there is one other CD which has all seven tracks in unedited form :

JazzintheGardenoftheMuseumofModernA.jpg

This CD undoubtedly has better sound than the sonically-poor Jazz View CD . But even better sound isn't likely to change the odd helium-timbre of Teddy's voice !