Twins player Kirby Puckett passes away at 44

Twins fans worshiped him (until he was charged with sexual assault) because he brought two World Series Championships to the area. He seemed so happy playing the game and was usually in the running for batting titles.

Most people from the area can quote the line the announcer made after Puck hit the homerun in Game Six of the 1991 World Series.

I would see him sitting in courtside seats at Timberwolves games, he always looked very unhealthy and unhappy. Within one year, he went through a messy public divorce, a mistress made their affair public, and he was charged with sexually assaulting a woman in a restaurant. After he was found not guilty, he stopped going to the T-Wolves games, stopped working with the Twins organization, and moved to Arizona.

Until yesterday, I figured he would eventually be back with the organization.

:(

If you want to see the personification of a player carrying a team on his back, look no further than the 6th game of the 1991 Series. Absolutely remarkable.

It was painful to see Puckett tarnish his reputation after he was done playing, but while he was between the lines, he was something.

Up over and out.

The Red Sox made a push for Puckett as a free agent at one point but he only used Boston as leverage with The Twins. Would have loved to have him in Beantown. Having said that I respect that he stayed in Minnesota even though he likely could have squeezed out more money in Boston or elsewhere.

831370.jpg

85 Topps

i thought that kirby was hit in the head / eye area at the end of his career

That's the one, but mine had gum staining on the back!

The last game he played in he was hit in the eye with a pitch. He left the game and eventually had surgery on the eye. He wasn't able to see very well out of the eye and than it was announced that he had glaucoma.

It seems ESPN had his age wrong, the Minneapolis Star Tribune says 45.

That was the one comical aspect of this was seeing his age listed as 44, 45, and 46.

News organizations have obituaries ready to roll for most people near the age of 60 (or those whose lifestyle warrent an early write up. :lol:) This one caught 'em and shows what lousy mathematicians journalists are. ^_^

It seems ESPN had his age wrong, the Minneapolis Star Tribune says 45.

That was the one comical aspect of this was seeing his age listed as 44, 45, and 46.

News organizations have obituaries ready to roll for most people near the age of 60 (or those whose lifestyle warrent an early write up. :lol:) This one caught 'em and shows what lousy mathematicians journalists are. ^_^

Well there's a reason they got it wrong. From the Star Tribune

The birthdate of March 14, 1961, that appeared in biographies distributed by the Twins during his playing days is a year off, but he never was concerned about correcting the original mistake. That birthday appears on many Puckett biographies.

A LexisNexis search confirmed the truth: Puck was born in March 1960, which made him 45 at the time of his death.