Jimmy Ricks w/Count Basie

JSngry

Jimmy Ricks was, in my estimation, one of the most distinctive vocalists of 20th Century American Popular Music. If you don't know who he was, check out the Ravens' version of "Marie" and take it from there. Seldom has one singer driven a vocal group the way that Harry Carney drove the Ellington band, seldom has there been an "R&B singer" who sang with a truer "jazz swing", and seldom has there been a more distinctive tonal color coming out of a human voice. The Ravens, when not dealing with whatever goofy-ass material their producers foisted upon them, were simply one of the greatest vocal groups of all time. Their blend was unsurpassed, and they could (and did) swing like mofos. And Jimmy Ricks was at the bottom, literally, of it all.

But I digress...

While searching the web for info about the group, and Ricks in particular, I came across this tidbit on AMG.

Ricks began his solo career in the early '60s, releasing several albums until finally joining the Count Basie Orchestra, with whom he was performing until his death in 1974.

Now, I don't know that I hear Ricks as a "big-band singer", but the notion of hearing his resonant, foggy bass in front of the Basie band on some good blues is an intriguing one. Does anybody have any further info about this association, or even better, any memories of hearing them together?

As always, thanks in advance, and do not miss out on The Ravens!

Edited by JSngry

Yeah Jim, I saw him with Basie, where they played for a week at a upscale club called "The Top of the Plaza" in Rochester, that had a jazz policy and all of the big bands played there.

I remember that he was a big, handsome guy with conked hair; sang in a bluesy style. Not the smoothist vocalist, as I remember; a shouter. I remember his baby tuxedo with silver studs, going down the arms and legs, complete with the ruffled shirt and blue bowtie. It must have been in 73 or 74.

That band also had Jimmy Forest and Curtis Fuller in it, beside the regulars.

The local public TV station might have recorded it. There was a series that they recorded and were broadcast with Thad & Mel, Buddy Rich ( this one is on DVD ) and others.

This was the type of club that you could sit at a table and be just a few feet from the band; no elevated stage. That's the way to see and hear a big band!

Edited by marcello

Yeah, I'm having a hard time imagining Ricks singing in front of a band like Basie's, especially at what would have been at that time an "advanced" age. He wasn't a "jazz" or even "blues" singer. He was a "pop" singer, and a most unique one at that. Still, I envy you for having heard the pairing. If nothing else, you got to hear two (at least) genuine legends.

And yes, I remember watching the Thad/Mel "Top of the Plaza" show on our local PBS station. I was a freshman in college, living in the "musician's dorm". We had several community TV rooms, and they were all packed. That's the only one I remember, though. I'd like to see the Basie one if it exists, especially if Ricks was involved. I'm a big Ravens fan, but have yet to become aware of any video footage of them. Bummer.

Agreed, that is definitely the way to hear a big band. Records don't do justice to the experience!

Edited by JSngry

I have seen his name associated with early Rock 'n Roll groups also, and assumed it was the same guy.

That week I went often. At the time, Jon Hendricks brother Jimmy, lived in Rochester where they had other family, and I was close to Jimmy. At one time Jimmy was the road manager for both Basie and Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, so when Basie came to town, Jimmy was in his glory. Everybody knew Jimmy Hendricks. So I was hanging out a lot with Jimmy and band members, before, during and after the shows.

I could tell you stories......

Evidence suggests that a few glimpses were released on Pablo:

link here

But that's the best I can come up with right now.

Yeah, but...

Customer Reviews

Average Customer Review:

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers. Search Customer Reviews

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Never released, August 7, 2002

Reviewer: John Blomberg (Berkeley, CA) - See all my reviews

This CD was never released. I work at Fantasy Inc, the company that owns the Pablo label. The CD's catalog number was supposed to be 5307-2. Due probably to some legal snafu, the actual product never came to be. If you want to order it, forget about it. This CD doesn't exist.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

Doesn't that suck!

Edited by JSngry

I have seen his name associated with early Rock 'n Roll groups also, and assumed it was the same guy.

That week I went often. At the time, Jon Hendricks brother Jimmy, lived in Rochester where they had other family, and I was close to Jimmy. At one time Jimmy was the road manager for both Basie and Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, so when Basie came to town, Jimmy was in his glory. Everybody knew Jimmy Hendricks. So I was hanging out a lot with Jimmy and band members, before, during and after the shows.

I could tell you stories......

In my opinion, The Ravens weren't even slightly "Rock & Roll" & were only sometimes "Rhythm & Blues". They were very "transitional" in that regard. What they were was a supremely tasty and swinging pop vocal quartet that paved the way for a lot of things to come. Like I said, I'm a big fan, even if some of the material was waaaaay beneath them, trite, sentimental dreck. the best of it, of which there is a lot, is as good as this stuff gets, and Ricks was a huge part of the reason why.

That sounds like a gas of a week. Love to hear some of those stories!

Your description of The Ravens, is what I really meant; a transitional R&R/ Pop group.

As far as stories go,,,,

Well, Basie, let's say, liked to have a good time. A real good time.

images449585_GHF05_Count_Basie1.jpg

Curtis Fuller had a bad toothache and he was helped by a hip, local dentist who was rather loose with his pharmaceuticals!

curtisfuller.jpg

Jimmy Ricks ( He didn't have a eyepatch when I saw him)

geraldpic.JPG

Your description of The Ravens, is what I really meant; a transitional R&R/ Pop group.

As far as stories go,,,,

Well, Basie, let's say, liked to have a good time. A real good time.

images449585_GHF05_Count_Basie1.jpg

Curtis Fuller had a bad toothache and he was helped by a hip, local dentist who was rather loose with his pharmaceuticals!

curtisfuller.jpg

As I suspected! ;)

Jimmy Ricks ( He didn't have a eyepatch when I saw him)

geraldpic.JPG

Good lord... :g

The Ravens had a short stint w/Columbia, where they recorded with a Benny Gooman sextet. The results were, as you might suspect, rather, uh... quaint. :ph34r:

But I think that hearing Ricks alone with the Basie rhythm section might have been nice. Although by that time, his best vocal days might have been behind him, I don't know. Singers are funny like that.

The Ravens had a short stint w/Columbia, where they recorded with a Benny Gooman sextet. The results were, as you might suspect, rather, uh... quaint. :ph34r:

Aside from the Ravens sides with Goodman, Ricks recorded a few sides with Goodman by himself. I have them on an old Harmony LP entitled "The Swingin' Benny Goodman Sextet", on which Ricks is identified simply as "Ricky", although that voice is unmistakeable.

I've always loved Ricks' hit "Love Is the Thing" recorded for Mercury in the mid-1950's.

I first heard tell about his Basie stint from a friend who had seen Ricks with Basie in the early 1970's, although there's nothing on record. Sheridan's Basie discography does show a couple of broadcasts, nothing commercially released.

• 8 years later...

Yeah Jim, I saw him with Basie, where they played for a week at a upscale club called "The Top of the Plaza" in Rochester, that had a jazz policy and all of the big bands played there.I remember that he was a big, handsome guy with conked hair; sang in a bluesy style. Not the smoothist vocalist, as I remember; a shouter. I remember his baby tuxedo with silver studs, going down the arms and legs, complete with the ruffled shirt and blue bowtie. It must have been in 73 or 74.That band also had Jimmy Forest and Curtis Fuller in it, beside the regulars. The local public TV station might have recorded it. There was a series that they recorded and were broadcast with Thad & Mel, Buddy Rich ( this one is on DVD ) and others.This was the type of club that you could sit at a table and be just a few feet from the band; no elevated stage. That's the way to see and hear a big band!

Missed this back when it began. I attended the Top of the Plaza jazz events many times. Defintely recall seeing Thad and Mel there.

In fact, for some odd reason, they showed me sitting at a table next to the music on some of the TV broadcasts. They did some strange

editing as i was shown sitting in the audience on a broadcast of Stephane Grapelli when I did not attend that one.

Unfortunately I do not recall seeing Basie at the Top of the Plaza. Wish I had been there.