NFL 2006 - Offseason/Draft/Free Agency

Aggie87

Cowboys signed Vanderjagt today. I don't know much about him, other than what I've read (troubles with Manning a while back, plus the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL). I think it's about time they brought in a solid kicker, after the revolving door of the past few years.

For some positions it seems like they really like to go cheap, until it costs them - then they pay big bucks to solve that problem for a year or two, and then gradually go back to their ways. They did this with long snapper Jeff Robinson too. Now they're back to a no-name (Ladocier I think?) doing this.

They've also brought in some help at OT, with Jason Fabini, and LB, with Akin Ayodele. I think at this point they still need to address FS (rumor on some of the boards that they're looking at Charles Woodson or Ty Law to switch to safety), another LB, and some additional OL help. Maybe the draft is the solution for those spots at this point.

I'm still not real enthused about the T.O. thing. I don't know if winning is more important than character, but if it were my team he'd never be on it.

Agg, why did Dat Nguyen retire so young? He was becoming a great player.

I don't know the whole story. He had some injuries last year, one to his neck I believe. I think that actually scared him enough that he decided to retire. That's what I've heard anyway. I heard he was "ok" enough to play last year after the injury, but decided he didn't want to, and wanted to walk away from the game healthy. The Cowboys (either Parcells or Jones) decided to not make a big deal out of it, and let him make his own decisions. I think he's got a young kid (or two now) and wanted to devote his time to his family, too.

I think he was a great player! I watched him play for four years as an Aggie, and then in the NFL. He's the leading tackler in Aggie history (and until recently we actually had good defenses). He was a true overachiever, and I think a great role model. He's also from down here in south Texas (Rockport - little fishing community on the coast, where you can buy shrimp off the boats), and is beloved in the area.

Cowboys signed Vanderjagt today. I don't know much about him, other than what I've read (troubles with Manning a while back, plus the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL). I think it's about time they brought in a solid kicker, after the revolving door of the past few years.

For some positions it seems like they really like to go cheap, until it costs them - then they pay big bucks to solve that problem for a year or two, and then gradually go back to their ways. They did this with long snapper Jeff Robinson too. Now they're back to a no-name (Ladocier I think?) doing this.

They've also brought in some help at OT, with Jason Fabini, and LB, with Akin Ayodele. I think at this point they still need to address FS (rumor on some of the boards that they're looking at Charles Woodson or Ty Law to switch to safety), another LB, and some additional OL help. Maybe the draft is the solution for those spots at this point.

I'm still not real enthused about the T.O. thing. I don't know if winning is more important than character, but if it were my team he'd never be on it.

T.O is a risk, but so is Vanderjagt. For one thing, he sucks in kickoffs, so an extra kicker is needed on the roster to perform that task. Who wants to waste two roster spots on kickers? :huh:

That's one reason why the Patriots didn't chase him.

Agg, why did Dat Nguyen retire so young? He was becoming a great player.

I don't know the whole story. He had some injuries last year, one to his neck I believe. I think that actually scared him enough that he decided to retire. That's what I've heard anyway. I heard he was "ok" enough to play last year after the injury, but decided he didn't want to, and wanted to walk away from the game healthy. The Cowboys (either Parcells or Jones) decided to not make a big deal out of it, and let him make his own decisions. I think he's got a young kid (or two now) and wanted to devote his time to his family, too.

I think he was a great player! I watched him play for four years as an Aggie, and then in the NFL. He's the leading tackler in Aggie history (and until recently we actually had good defenses). He was a true overachiever, and I think a great role model. He's also from down here in south Texas (Rockport - little fishing community on the coast, where you can buy shrimp off the boats), and is beloved in the area.

Agreed on all counts. The local buzz is that the injuries, while in no way "career ending", were a tad more serious than originally thought. Dat decided to get out while he was still relatively healthy. More power to him, and he will be missed.

T.O is a risk, but so is Vanderjagt. For one thing, he sucks in kickoffs, so an extra kicker is needed on the roster to perform that task. Who wants to waste two roster spots on kickers? :huh:

That's one reason why the Patriots didn't chase him.

Exactly. I'm glad he's gone and so glad to have Adam Vinatieri on our roster. He'll be a great addition, not only to our team but also to our community. Great move by Polian.

Edited by rachel

• 4 weeks later...

The Cowboys signed safety Marcus Coleman today, previously with the Texans. He's been around 10 yrs, so he's not a young pup, but strengthens the free safety position a bit, which was IMO the most glaring weakness on the team at this point.

I think they've done a good job addressing their needs this off season, to the point where they have alot of options in the draft (less than 2 weeks away!), and don't have to draft for a specific need. WR, FS, and LB may be their targets, if they don't trade down.

So far they've signed:

WR - Terrell Owens

OL - Jason Fabini & Kyle Kosier

TE - Ryan Hannam

LB - Akin Ayodele, Rocky Boiman

FS - Marcus Coleman, Keith Davis (re-signed)

K - Mike Vanderjagt

Other than TO & Vanderjagt, looks to be mostly solid but not splashy signings. I hated to see them let go of Larry Allen. Dude should never wear anyone else's uniform.

Ricky has just been suspended for another year.

I feel bad for Ricky, who is perhaps too nice and laid back for the rough demands of the sport, but I like it when the Dolphins suffer! :g

To those who might know: what happens to Ricky's salary during a suspension? Do the Dolphins get a break on the cap, or does it count towards it? (I hope it counts towards it.) :P

I didn't care for the Cowboys' first day of the draft very much. They had three needs - OLB, Safety, & O-Line help. They picked up Ohio State LB Bobby Carpenter in the first round, which I think was a solid pick. But then they had a couple of good safeties and OL prospects available in the second, and decided to choose a TE (Anthony Fasano), which is not a position of need. In the third round they picked up a DE, Jason Hatcher from Grambling...again, not a position of need, with some solid choices (and more highly rated) still available at positions they needed.

Edited by Aggie87

I love what the Pats did in the first two rounds. They picked up whom they believe is the best running back in the draft other than Reggie Bush in Lawrence Maroney. And they picked up whom they believe to be the best wide receiver in the draft in Jackson.

They picked up Texas TE in the third. They've got two fourth rounders waiting for tomorrow. Solid draft so far.

Good draft, I think, for my Eagles. They get a stud DT, Brodrick Bunkley, in the first, and the guy late in the second round (Justice) who was pencilled in as their first round pick. I had heard that they might be in the hunt for Javon Walker, but I was disabused of that notion late Saturday afternoon. So, yes, I am worried about their receiving corps. For a team that passed 65% of the time last year, you'd think at some point, they might entertain the idea of drafting a wide out. How about Mike Haas from Oregon State for cryin' out loud?

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Good draft, I think, for my Eagles. They get a stud DT, Brodrick Bunkley, in the first, and the guy late in the second round (Justice) who was pencilled in as their first round pick. I had heard that they might be in the hunt for Javon Walker, but I was disabused of that notion late Saturday afternoon. So, yes, I am worried about their receiving corps. For a team that passed 65% of the time last year, you'd think at some point, they might entertain the idea of drafting a wide out. How about Mike Haas from Oregon State for cryin' out loud?

Up over and out.

Still a few wide receivers available via trade, such as Donte Stallworth, Charles Rogers, and Ashley Lelie.

Pats also looking to pick one up.