Lyricist Bruce Hart dies

robviti

'Sesame Street' lyricist Bruce Hart dies at 68

February 24, 2006, 5:57 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) _ Bruce Hart, best known for his "Sesame Street" lyrics and the song "Free to Be ... You and Me," has died. He was 68.

Hart died Tuesday at his Manhattan home of lung cancer, according to his wife, Carole Hart.

The couple wrote for the PBS television children's show after its debut in 1969. While creating dramatic sketches, Bruce Hart also wrote the "Sesame Street" theme lyrics and music with Joe Raposo and Jon Stone.

After one season of "Sesame Street," Hart and his wife produced an album and television special called "Free to Be ... You and Me" with Marlo Thomas, starring Mel Brooks, Harry Belafonte and Michael Jackson.

Bruce Hart also worked for the TV show "Candid Camera" and wrote the lyrics for the Cass Elliott hit "One Way Ticket."

He and his wife produced the Emmy-winning NBC series for adolescents "Hot Hero Sandwich," and a series of educational films about psychology.

Hart is also survived by his brother, Alan Hart, of Akron, Ohio.

Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

"Free to Be...You And Me" was one of the most important records I ever had growing up. I also had the full color story book that accompanied it. I knew every song and every story by heart. When "Free To Be" had it's 25th Anniversary a couple years back, my mother, knowing how important it was to me, got a copy of the new and improved book signed by Marlo Thomas.

Zora and I now listen to the CD together and I get so emotional thinking back to my days playing while I watch her hoping she will find as much enjoyment in the music as I did. I still enjoy the songs.

And I still have a crush on Alan Alda! (Jim already knows. It's no secret!)

AA