which live jackie mclean?

Guest donald petersen

Chuck is being way too generous - the sound on the two Left Bank Jazz Society sets is actually quite bad - distorted piano, nasal alto etc. It's especially problematic when applied to Jackie's unique tone - it really sounds 'off'. The playing is great, but I really have trouble listening to these too often.

Montmartre and the two Dexters are fabulous; Lullaby is only 'very good'.

Bertrand.

Guest akanalog

Chuck is being way too generous - the sound on the two Left Bank Jazz Society sets is actually quite bad - distorted piano, nasal alto etc. It's especially problematic when applied to Jackie's unique tone - it really sounds 'off'. The playing is great, but I really have trouble listening to these too often.

Montmartre and the two Dexters are fabulous; Lullaby is only 'very good'.

Bertrand.

thanks for laying it down!

The sound on 'Tune Up' and 'Dr. Jackle' is not perfect, but I think they are worth buying. If you can sit through the sound problems with most of Bird's live recordings, the sound problems on CDs shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I really like these discs because it is great to hear Scotty Holt and Lamont Johnson performing with McLean on a variety of tunes that the group did not record in the studio.

The only Jackie LP/CD I haven't been able to listen to is 'Monuments.' I have tried to listen to it for kitsch value, but even than it's too painful.