Leon Cook has passed away...

Jim Alfredson

This just in from my good friend Duncan McMillan:

It is with a deep sense of remorse that I send this e-mail message to inform you that Leon Cook passed away. For those of you who may not have been aware of his illness, after a performance with organist Jimmy McGriff @ The Toledo Jazz Festival last summer (June 19, 2005) - Leon was diagnosed with cancer. I will spare you all the details of the illness; all I can say is that he is now at rest.

A memorial service will be held in Toledo on Saturday February 25, 2005.

If you would like more information, please respond via e-mail, and I will forward the details within 24 hours.

Thank you.

With warm regards,

Duncan W. McMillan

For those unfamilair with Leon, he was a staple on the Toledo scene (which is pretty rough these days) and played and recorded with Jimmy McGriff, Groove Holmes, and others during the 70s. One of my favorite records is the Giants of the Jazz Organ live at Paul's Mall record on Groove Merchant with McGriff, Holmes, three guitarists (including Leon) and a drummer. Wild stuff and Leon plays great.

I had the pleasure of sitting in with his band once at Rusty's in Toledo. He played in the style of Wes Montgomery, all thumb. He could sing his ass off, too. His son Damon is a fine, fine drummer as well. Leon was a very soulful, generous, and light-hearted musician who's presence will sorely be missed.

RIP Leon.

Yeah, always really, really, really dug live at Paul's Mall. Not familiar with his work other than that, but loved that record for many years and enjoyed what he did on that. Too bad, these guys are dropping and that whole era...the golden era of the organ is slowly becoming something in a history book with the loss of it's last practicioners. Guys like Leon and Wayne Boyd aren't likely to make the All Music Guide, but that doesn't diminish the contribution they made to organ jazz.