Transition Sessions

bertrand

Are the track order below correct?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Donald Byrd: Byrd's Eye View

Doug's Blues - El Sino - Everything Happens To Me - Hank's Tune - Hank's Other Tune (Late Show) - Crazy Rhythm (bonus track)

Donald Byrd: Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill

Little Rock Getaway - Polka Dots And Moonbeams - People Will Say We're In Love - If I love Again - What's New? - Stella By Starlight

Doug Watkins: Watkins At Large

Return To Paradise - Phinupi - Phil T. McNasty's Blues - More Of The Same - Panonica

Edited by bertrand

Bertrand,

Byrd's Eye View (original copy)

side A:

Doug's Blues

El Sino

side B:

Everything Happens To Me

Hank's Tune

Hank's Other Tune

Watkins At Large (Japan identical reissue)

side A:

Phil T.McNasty's Blues

More of the Same

Panonica

side B:

Return to Paradise

Phinup

Edited by brownie

side A:

Phil T.McNasty's Blues

More of the Same

Panonica

side B:

Return to Paradise

Phinup

That's weird... the Japanese CD, TOCJ-5885, has a reproduction of the LP artwork and it says:

Songs...Side A:

RETURN TO PARADISE Tiomkin 12:52

PHINUPI Burrell 9:24

Side B:

PHIL T. McNASTY'S BLUES Traditional 4:53

MORE OF THE SAME Jones 10:01

PANONICA Jones 3:49

For TRANSITION...

Bob Guy/Engineer

Tom Wilson/Cover Art, Photos

A Live Concert Jazz Production by Tom Wilson

side A:

Phil T.McNasty's Blues

More of the Same

Panonica

side B:

Return to Paradise

Phinup

That's weird... the Japanese CD, TOCJ-5885, has a reproduction of the LP artwork and it says:

Songs...Side A:

RETURN TO PARADISE Tiomkin 12:52

PHINUPI Burrell 9:24

Side B:

PHIL T. McNASTY'S BLUES Traditional 4:53

MORE OF THE SAME Jones 10:01

PANONICA Jones 3:49

For TRANSITION...

Bob Guy/Engineer

Tom Wilson/Cover Art, Photos

A Live Concert Jazz Production by Tom Wilson

Kevin, check this eBay item Watkins At Large

The labels from the original LP confirm that the Japanese reissue LP I have had the right labels!

Could the LP have been released both ways at the time? Or could there have been a mix-up in the pressings at the time, so that some of the covers came out with the sides flipped?

The latter scenario is not impossible - my LP of Little Feat's Feets Don't Fail Me Now lists some songs on the back cover that did not appear on the LP, and omits others that did.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

The thing that's weird about that eBay LP is that from everything I've read, these labels never stayed on the record. Those Transition LPs were made of polystyrene or something like that and the glue they used on the labels supposedly never stuck well. These photos on eBay make it look like the labels are stuck right on there. Also, the vinyl looks like... well, vinyl.

Chuck Nessa mentioned that he had an original of this. Maybe he can tell us of that eBay auction is for an original or not.

Kevin

The thing that's weird about that eBay LP is that from everything I've read, these labels never stayed on the record. Those Transition LPs were made of polystyrene or something like that and the glue they used on the labels supposedly never stuck well. These photos on eBay make it look like the labels are stuck right on there. Also, the vinyl looks like... well, vinyl.

Chuck Nessa mentioned that he had an original of this. Maybe he can tell us of that eBay auction is for an original or not.

Kevin

I have had 5 Transition originals. Of the 10 (glued on) labels involved only 2 fell off. The ebay offering looks legit with a small caveat - the label colors appear slightly more "vivid" than I would expect but that could be the result of the photo.

I've had and sold at least a dozen Transitions over the years. The records are made of brittle polystyrene (as opposed to vinyl), and the labels invariably become unglued, sometimes getting lost. I've reglued many of the ones I've had. I've replaced most of my originals with Japanese pressings because the vinyl is so much better, and people are willing to pay crazy money for originals. :crazy:

I've had and sold at least a dozen Transitions over the years. The records are made of brittle polystyrene (as opposed to vinyl), and the labels invariably become unglued, sometimes getting lost. I've reglued many of the ones I've had. I've replaced most of my originals with Japanese pressings because the vinyl is so much better, and people are willing to pay crazy money for originals. :crazy:

Yup, those cheap injection molded lps were the pits. They did not wear well with repeated playing - no give in the plastic and needles eventually turned 'em white. Transitions, Debuts and Harmonys.