Who's your cable techie?

you're generally going to get much higher speed for your money with cable.
I'm still going 'round and 'round about this - should I spend the extra or not for cable.

I can't really complain about my DSL.

They "promised" 1.5/384 and I get about 2.7/496, so I'm happy,

but I'm thinking of doing the research again on cable.

I think our friend JSngry had some probs with...was it Verizon?...at one time?

R

---

Now playing: Jackie McLean/John Jenkins - Alto Madness

I'm not doubting speakeasy. Glad to see they have a network. I was in a Tier 2 market and never came across anyone who was using their service, other than the speedtest they offer. That certainly doesn't mean anything.

DSL is a distance-sensitive technology. The further you are from the co-lo, the less bandwidth you will be capable of receiving.

Rostasi-you have good speeds at a good price. I wouldn't change anything.

What have you heard about Verizon backing off of the build-out? Just curious. I moved and decided against working for Time Warner's business division.

DSL is a distance-sensitive technology. The further you are from the co-lo, the less bandwidth you will be capable of receiving.

Rostasi-you have good speeds at a good price. I wouldn't change anything.

Oh, good to hear this! I was thinking that it may be pretty good -

and I'm testing while narrowcasting which probably makes some diff.

It's $19.95 and I understand that the "point" is just about 1/3 mile from me.

Rod

---

Now playing: Tiny Fuller - Shock

Edited by rostasi

What have you heard about Verizon backing off of the build-out? Just curious. I moved and decided against working for Time Warner's business division.

I haven't heard anything about Verizon backing off the build-out, just that it will take it several YEARS to get fiber to every street, and even longer to get fiber to every home for a truly complete fiber network. My understanding is that Verizon currently has fiber service with double-digit meg d/l in only a few small test communities--a far cry from the completely built-out network Comcast already has. I think I also read somewhere that Comcast has specifically rejected building a fiber network and, not surprisingly, believes it can get the best results using it's cable network.

I can't point to any particular sources for this information--just basing it on things I've read and heard in the past.

What Verizon's working on is F/O all the way uo into your house, and if they can make that happen, look out.

And my understanding is that that's a REALLY big "if" for the near future--very expensive and not easily accomplished. When I'm not pursuing my full-time occupation of posting on this Board, I'm engaged in one of my many hobbies--building houses. And I can tell you that at the current time in the Philadelphia area (where Comcast is headquartered and Verizon started and maintains regional headquarters, by the way) Verizon still runs good-ol'-fashioned copper pairs, and not F/O, into newly constructed houses. Doesn't strike me as the move of a company that really believes it will be having F/O running into all homes at any time in the near future.

My understanding is that once you get to the so-called "backbones" and "backhauls" of the internet, it's pretty much all F/O at this point in most places (such as the Comcast "macronetwork" you mentioned) . But, as you point out, the key to a whole new level of internet technology (such as the Internet2 currently being developed by a consortium of universities) will be running F/O into every home everywhere, and that ain't happenin' anytime soon with any telco or cable company (I've heard at least 10 years, but who knows?).