Curling, Anyone?

JSngry

I've been digging it (maybe its because I've got some Scottish blood in me). As I posted in the olympics thread, I just wish they would go into more detail when talking about strategy (especially thinking several shots ahead). I often wonder why a team that's behind by several points doesn't try to be more aggressive about getting more stones into the house (instead of playing guards or peeling guards).

Even if people from my part of the world are supposed to pick some medals skiing and speed-skating, I

begin to think curling is the most fascinating sport during the winter games. Some people here call it chess on ice. Don't know about that, though I agree with Jim I'd like to know a little more about strategy and thinking several shots ahead.

I've actually done this. We have a group of guys here at work that travel together a couple of times a year. We were up in Vancouver B.C. to see some Canuck hockey games a year or so ago and decided to check out the local bonspiel (?). Turns out, it's a major hoot. Eight of us played for a couple of hours and it cost us less than $10.00 each. Quite the entertainment value.

The weirdest thing about curling is the ice. It's pebbled. They actually have guys who's job is to make ice just for curling. The rules are pretty easy to pick up. Strategy, that's another issue altogether. Several good websites exist if anyone wants to explore this in greater detail. Hardest thing about the game is not falling on your ass.

My S.O. and her daughter were out of town over the weekend, so I spent quite a bit of time watching the Olympics. Most often I found myself on MSNBC or CNBC watching the curling...didn't matter if it was men's or women's, although the women are a lot easier to look at. There's just something about this sport that's mesmerizing. I even watched this in lieu of ice hockey which, for me, is close to blasphemy.

Bring it on!

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I just wish they would go into more detail when talking about strategy (especially thinking several shots ahead). I often wonder why a team that's behind by several points doesn't try to be more aggressive about getting more stones into the house (instead of playing guards or peeling guards).

Too bad you don't get the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) as they do have some great commentators on the sport/strategy. Becuase it is not a traditional "babe" sport (sisters aside), beyond explaining definitions, the US networks don't really know how to promote the excitement well enough IMO.

Some people loved curling enough to have gravestones carved in the shape of the curling stone or whatever the thingamabob is. I can see why it's fun, the process of warming up the ice to make the thing move is somewhat magical. Watching it is, well... :mellow:

I just wish they would go into more detail when talking about strategy (especially thinking several shots ahead). I often wonder why a team that's behind by several points doesn't try to be more aggressive about getting more stones into the house (instead of playing guards or peeling guards).

Too bad you don't get the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) as they do have some great commentators on the sport/strategy. Becuase it is not a traditional "babe" sport (sisters aside), beyond explaining definitions, the US networks don't really know how to promote the excitement well enough IMO.

I have mixed feelings on that. I don't really care for the announcers used by the NBC affiliate in the US (Canadians Don Chevrier and Don Duguid). Chevrier is okay, but Duguid (a former curling star) strikes me as kind of a pompous old fart. Chevrier will ask a question that he no doubt knows the answer to (in order to get a response from Duguid that will educate the folks watching), and Duguid's response is almost always terse and/or condescending (equivalent to a "well, DUH!"). On one occasion I heard Duguid say something like "that's why my team always wanted me taking the last shot". :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I can understand why it can be hard for serious fans (including the announcers) to constantly explain things for new viewers. I remember watching soccer coverage on ABC back in the 90's, and hearing them constantly explaining the most basic rules was pretty nauseating. I just think that Duguid could do more in terms of explaining WHY a certain shot is optimal. Obviously, the stategy is very compex (every third shot seems to raise a debate, and Duguid will often disagree with the choice made by a team after they've decided by committee), so why not talk about it? It would only serve to increase interest in the sport, and this is a critical time to draw more people in. As it is, they're too esoteric about it, IMO.

I also don't like hype, so while I think Fred Roggin (curling loaf, anyone?) is a little dull, I'd rather listen to him than have an obnoxious P.A. announcer revving up the crowd, with spotlights and cheerleaders and dancers entertaining between ends.

I have mixed feelings on that. I don't really care for the announcers used by the NBC affiliate in the US (Canadians Don Chevrier and Don Duguid). Chevrier is okay, but Duguid (a former curling star) strikes me as kind of a pompous old fart. Chevrier will ask a question that he no doubt knows the answer to (in order to get a response from Duguid that will educate the folks watching), and Duguid's response is almost always terse and/or condescending (equivalent to a "well, DUH!"). On one occasion I heard Duguid say something like "that's why my team always wanted me taking the last shot". :rolleyes:

Hey, hey, HEY!

Jim, don't be slammin' my two main men in the curling announcer world! These two are the best EVER! ;)

Actually, growing up in Canada, I curled all the time (heck, we were even taught it in physical education class in junior and senior high school). It is a fun sport, and not nearly as easy as it looks on TV. Hell, I've cracked my skull on the ice many times over the years... although that ice may be pebbled, it still hurts!

Anyway, the "two Don's" have been announcers on CBC for as long as I can remember... they clearly are the Godfathers of the curling announcer world. And, compared to some of the other announcers NBC has come up with (Cammie Granato? WTF is that all about? Sour grapes there much?), the Dons are where it's at. Erm, well... OK... let's just leave it at "they're not bad"!

Go Canada Go!

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

I've curled twice and it's a ball. Very classy and frigid bowling. It's on CBC about 6 months of the year and I've wasted a lot of time on the couch in a curling trance.

RE: the question around sliding on the ice. One shoe has some kind of a hard plastic, slippery sole and the other is normal rubber sole.

Hey Shane,

Sorry if I came on too strong re the Dons. I love Canada and Canadians! :) As I say, it's mainly Duguid that bugs me sometimes. I know he's "walked the walk", but former athletes need to be careful about praising themselves, IMO, and I still think he could do better regarding more thorough explanations for the uninformed (and there are a LOT of us here in the US, I suspect :)).

"Hardest thing about the game is not falling on your ass."

:rofl: I didn't realize it was that tricky to avoid slipping. Those guys (especially when sweeping while moving rapidly) are so good at sliding around, it didn't even occur to me. Not only that, the way they move around stones while they're sweeping is pretty amazing. I've only seen one in-play stone accidentally kicked so far.

I've curled twice and it's a ball. Very classy and frigid bowling. It's on CBC about 6 months of the year and I've wasted a lot of time on the couch in a curling trance.

RE: the question around sliding on the ice. One shoe has some kind of a hard plastic, slippery sole and the other is normal rubber sole.

That helps explain why Cassie Johnson was wearing one white shoe and one black! A little bit!

What does the sweeping do to the ice? Does it mess it up, like a baseball batter digging in when he comes to the batter's box?

What does the sweeping do to the ice?

I reserve the right to be corrected on this, but I seem to remember that it melts the ice just slightly which somehow creates a path of least resistance. This accomplishes 2 things, makes it go faster/farther and helps it curl. So if it doesn't have enough weight (speed) you sweep harder and if you need it to move to the center or something you can theoretically change the line a bit at the end. Notice that the opposing team will try to sweep a stone out of the house that has been bumped.

Regarding the shoes, when someone throws (can't remember the term) if you look at the sole of the leading shoe you can usually see a white plate to it that won't be on the one they pushed off with. If you watch the sweepers they are pushing consistently with one shoe and sliding on the other (the slippy soled one).

Hi Jim,

No problem! I actually agree with you on a number of your observations. Duguid can be a bit of an ass at times... I guess Canadians are just sensitive about all things curling, having been ridiculed for so long about it! I will say this... it's pretty easy to fall asleep listening to their commentary, as I've done it many times!

Troy, you are pretty much spot on in regards to shoes and the sweeping of the ice! You sound like you've hit a bonspiel or two in your day!

Cheers,

Shane

olympics06_curling.gif

Spanning the internet... to bring you the constant variety of sport...

HEY... those aren't official rocks! The handles should be silver! :angry:^_^

Anyway Jim, thanks for posting that... 1314455_200X150.jpg For being our guest here on the curling thread, we have for you... the curling loaf (no visual aid available at this time).

...At the opposite end of the spectrum was Fred Roggin, the superfluous studio host of CNBC’s coverage of men’s and women’s curling. While curling, with its plodding action and endless counter-maneuvering, is aptly called “chess on ice,” Roggin’s contributions could best be called Chess on Ice for Dummies. In a typical bit, Roggin presented Roy Sinclair, the head of the World Curling Federation, with a large round loaf of bread that had a crescent roll protruding from its top to resemble a curling stone. Sinclair wasn’t immediately sure what to make of Roggin’s offer. "That’s kinda sexy lookin’," Sinclair said of the loaf. :g