New York City March 15-20

Adam

Well, thus far I saw the Wayne Shorter Tribute Band on Wednesday, the Braxton 12+1Tet on Friday at 8, and Billy Bang Sextet including special guest James Spaulding on Friday at 10. I highly recommend the Bang band - they are playing there again tonight, and they don't really seem to be listed anywhere. I learned about it from the person at the next seat over at the Braxton show.

I've enjoyed them all!

Now let's see if I can fit in Roy Haynes and/or the Stone and/or this big fundraiser event at Tonic on Monday.

Adam, in case you didn't know our own Muchael Weiss is playing tonight with Peter Bernstein at The Kitano.

I'll be at the 9:45 set.

The Kitano

I probably should have tried to see that. Sorry Michael. But I was out, then I raced to catch the 11:00 Roy Haynes set at the VV, but it was sold out and I couldn't get in. So I walked to Small's and saw Frank Wess & Eddie Locke. That too was crowded, and I was in the back. Very nice, but not my first choice. But good to see another jazz great.

Which means Ned, that I was actually at Small's at 1 am when you and cohorts were all entering with instrumnets. And I was too tired to stick around. I'm sorry - I'm a wimp. But I had to save energy for the Pogues last night. And I needed all the energy that I could get for that show.

Ah, the Pogues were great, and with people moshin & fightin' in the pit, and a packed house...They burned through everything. All these songs in about 1 hour 45 minutes. I had no previous familiarity with Star of the County Down.

The set list:

Streams Of Whiskey

If I Should Fall From Grace With God

Broad Majestic Shannon

Turkish Song of the Damned

Young Ned

Pair of Brown Eyes

Boys from County Hell

White City

Tuesday Morning

Old Main Drag

Sayonara