New York City March 15-20

Adam

Hi,

I'll be in NYC that week, originally to see the Pogues on Sunday the 19th.

What else is going on? I already saw that Anthony Braxton is at Iridium, and I plan to go to that, since it seems like he will never play LA.

Roy Haynes Quartet at the Village Vanguard. I'll try to see that.

And I'll try to make the Mingus Big band at Fez on Thursday. Is that right?

Who are these folks at Tonic?

Wed, Mar 15

8pm Dysrhythmia plus Jersey Band

8:30pm Pure Fire in the ))sub((tonic lounge

Thu, Mar 16

8pm Zbignew Karkowski (solo) plus Kaspar T. Toeplitz (solo) plus Karkowski & Toeplitz plus Michael Haleta plus RAM

Anything of note that I might be overlooking?

The Fez is closed. The Mingus Big Band plays at the Iridium on Tuesday nights now.

Hi,

I'll be in NYC that week, originally to see the Pogues on Sunday the 19th.

What else is going on? I already saw that Anthony Braxton is at Iridium, and I plan to go to that, since it seems like he will never play LA.

Roy Haynes Quartet at the Village Vanguard. I'll try to see that.

And I'll try to make the Mingus Big band at Fez on Thursday. Is that right?

Who are these folks at Tonic?

Wed, Mar 15

8pm Dysrhythmia plus Jersey Band

8:30pm Pure Fire in the ))sub((tonic lounge

Thu, Mar 16

8pm Zbignew Karkowski (solo) plus Kaspar T. Toeplitz (solo) plus Karkowski & Toeplitz plus Michael Haleta plus RAM

Anything of note that I might be overlooking?

At Smoke:

Thursday, March 16, Mike DiRubbo Quartet

Friday - Saturday, March 17-18, Eric Alexander Quartet

At the Jazz Standard:

Wednesday-Thursday, March 15-16, Edward Simon's Venezuelan Project

Edward Simon - piano

John Patitucci - bass

Adam Cruz - drums

Marco Granados - flute

Aquiles Baez - guitar, cuatro

Mark Turner - saxophones

Friday-Saturday, March 17-18 Edward Simon Trio

Edward Simon - piano

John Patitucci - bass

Nasheet Waits - drums

Sunday, March 19, Alex Blake Quartet

Alex Blake - bass

Chris Hunter - tenor & alto saxophone

Ted Cruz - piano

Victor Jones - drums

At the Iridium:

Thursday-Sunday, March 16-19, Anthony Braxton

Anthony Braxton (alto and sopranino saxes, compositions)

Stephen Lehman (alto & sopranino saxes)

James Fei (alto sax & bass clarinet)

Taylor Ho Bynum (cornet, flugelhorn, trumpbone)

Jessica Pavone (viola, violin)

Jay Rozen (tuba, euphonium)

Carl Testa (bass, bass clarinet)

Aaron Siegel (percussion, vibraphone)

Andrew Raffo Dewar (soprano and c-melody sax,clarinet)

Reut Regev (trombone, flugelbone)

Sara Schoenbeck (bassoon, shenai)

Nicole Mitchell (flutes)

Mary Halvorson (guitar)

At Birdland:

Wednesday-Saturday, March 15-18, Bobo Stenson Trio with Paul Motian

At Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola

Tuesday-Saturday, March 14-19, The Julliard Jazz Quintet

Wycliffe Gordon, trombone

Victor Goines, tenor saxophone and clarinet

Ted Rosenthal, piano

Ben Wolfe, bass

Carl Allen, drums

Edited by jazzshrink

Ned Goold at Smalls every Saturday night either late or early, I'll let you know. Greatest show on Earth.

What kind of show is yours, Ned. Jam session? Multi-media extravaganza?

Oh, I'll just look at the site.

It's late night around 1.30. It's not a jam session, but it's real swingin'. I'll send you an example if you like.

goooold@yahoo.com

Ned's quartet has Neal Caine on bass and Sacha Perry on piano, with Charles Goold Jr swinging his ass off on drums. Very good chemistry. There's plenty of "Fred Astaire meets Count Dracula". It's subtly subversive. Ned's internalized an amazing set of original moves to the extent that he swings freely with them. His message has a dark edge, perfect for the times we live in. Worth getting hip to.

one more day and the *great* Misha Mengelberg kicks of the U.S. Tour of the vaunted ICP @ Tonic on 3/21.

with the one and only Han Bennink on drums, the sublime Michael Moore on reeds and the controlled chatic virtuosity of one Wolter Wierbos on trombone

not minimizing the contributions that will come from Tristan Honsinger on cello, Mary Oliver on violin, Ernst Glerum on bass, Thomas Heberer on trumpet. The two saxophonists Ab Baars and Tobius Delius round out this incredible band.

one more day and the *great* Misha Mengelberg kicks of the U.S. Tour of the vaunted ICP @ Tonic on 3/21.

with the one and only Han Bennink on drums, the sublime Michael Moore on reeds and the controlled chatic virtuosity of one Wolter Wierbos on trombone

not minimizing the contributions that will come from Tristan Honsinger on cello, Mary Oliver on violin, Ernst Glerum on bass, Thomas Heberer on trumpet. The two saxophonists Ab Baars and Tobius Delius round out this incredible band.

Oh hell, I need to see that.

Bennink just passed through Los Angeles and did a show with Mark Dresser - that was really fabulous.

well, I'll be playing in Brookyn that week with Marc Ribot. Matt Shipp, and Randy Sandke - BUT, these'll be recording sessions for a new project (more promotion here, taking pre-orders for the CD, which will be an Andorra-only release :rolleyes:)-

Hi Allen,

Can I visit?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thus far I saw the Wayne Shorter Tribute Band on Wednesday, the Braxton 12+1Tet on Friday at 8, and Billy Bang Sextet including special guest James Spaulding on Friday at 10. I highly recommend the Bang band - they are playing there again tonight, and they don't really seem to be listed anywhere. I learned about it from the person at the next seat over at the Braxton show.

I've enjoyed them all!

Now let's see if I can fit in Roy Haynes and/or the Stone and/or this big fundraiser event at Tonic on Monday.

Well, thus far I saw the Wayne Shorter Tribute Band on Wednesday, the Braxton 12+1Tet on Friday at 8, and Billy Bang Sextet including special guest James Spaulding on Friday at 10. I highly recommend the Bang band - they are playing there again tonight, and they don't really seem to be listed anywhere. I learned about it from the person at the next seat over at the Braxton show.

I've enjoyed them all!

Now let's see if I can fit in Roy Haynes and/or the Stone and/or this big fundraiser event at Tonic on Monday.

Adam, in case you didn't know our own Muchael Weiss is playing tonight with Peter Bernstein at The Kitano.

I'll be at the 9:45 set.

The Kitano