I didn't know that Horace Parlan had polio...

Hardbopjazz

I saw him play a dozen years ago in a concert with Archie Shepp. It could clearly be seen that some of his right hand fingers are paralyzed, but it could not be heard as a limitation in his playing.

I agree with the above. In fact, I also heard him with Archie Shepp exactly a dozen years ago (in London, Feb 1994). A few years later, in 2000, he didn't sound as comfortable when appearing with Johnny Griffin, as the latter often set the tempi way above what either Parlan or he himself could handle.

I saw Horace Parlan a couple of times in the 1960's before he left the States, and one time was about six feet away from him watching his hands, not believing what I was hearing. The movement in his right hand is very restricted, and his left hand compensates by covering both parts while he punctuates ideas with his rigid right hand. A superb musician, and an inspiration.

Does anyone know where to find his current touring schedule? I missed an opportunity to see him live in Freiburg, Germany about five years ago and would love to have another chance to catch a performance.

A friend who saw him in Europe this summer said that he looked very frail, and had to be helped on stage. Hopefully this is a temporary situation. :(