Sep RVGs

reg

which are you looking most forward to?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

might as well have a poll for these just so they dont feel left out :)

all five look good. Let Freedom Ring gets my vote as i've been meaning to get this for a while. probably pick up The Scene Changes. i've got the others but a RVG of Adam's Apple is tempting as it's my favourite Shorter album.

This is a more interesting list to me though I've got them all except the Powell.

I might upgrade some of them.

Don't know if I noticed that the sound was inferior on any of them: at least inferior enough to warrant them to be remastered.

I voted for "Adam's Apple." Great session.

Again, I will be careful in the future regarding spending hard earned $$$ on "upgrading" cds I'm comfortable with.

Why doesn't Blue Note RVG something that clearly needs it like Jackie Mclean's "Demon Dance."

That gives me an idea for a thread....

For me, it's "The Scene Changes." I've always LOVED that record, but have only heard it on it's original crappy CD incarnation. Can't wait for the improved sonics. It was one of the first BN's I ever got. In a batch coincidently with "Adam's Apple," my favorite Wayne Shorter record!

Man, I love when the reissues start hittin'!

'Search For The New Land' gets my vote :excited: . It's rarely been off the turntable since I picked up the DMM all those years ago and the front cover is beyond cool. The title track is outstanding - lots of twists and turns, plenty of moody atmosphere, very fine Hancock/Green harmonic fill-ins, the usual superlative Billy Higgins. Heck, this one would probably get in my top 10 any time ...

A real nice batch this is! I went for Mode for Joe, as I kept this on hold waiting for a better version. Never heard it so far!

Lon: the Bud remasters by RVG - are they so good they make the 4CD box superfluous (except for the two - one very very good and one nice, I might say - Roost sessions and the nice liner notes)? Should I start replacing it by the RVGs?

ubu

In my opinion Ubu, yes, especially the earliest material, which is quite transformed and sounds dead to me on the box set. And there is a Superbit TOCJ of the Roost material with much better sound (by McMaster) which makes replacing the box set possible. I no longer listen to the box set. The RVGs are clearly better (to my tastes, on my system I must say.)

Lon is dead right. The box set is poor and should be deleted. Rudy did a superb job especially with the old 78 masters. (This also applies to the Monk 78s.) Using existing RVG issues, I made custom CDs of most of the box set, except for the Roost items, as the track order on the RVGs was all jumbled up. Also, the RVGs had a few tracks that are not in the box set.

I didn't know about the TOCJ of the Roost sides. I will keep an eye out for those.

my favorite one is Search For The New Land and Adam's Apple is quickly becoming my favorite Shorter.

i've sold immediately the "crappy" editions of McLean, Shorter & Morgan when i heard the news so i really miss them on my shelf :D

peace

Marcus Oliveira

Another five way tie..the Silver got my vote though on the first batch...as far as this one, I need all except the Morgan, but I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading it...just to keep up with the series.

Probably gonna vote for the McLean...or the Bud, but damn it all, why can't we vote for more than one title?

Edited by Jazzdog

Well, you're hard pressed to find albums of a significantly higher caliber than these five in the BN catalog, IMO. Out of the five, I'd guess I'd have to go with Bud, because, well, it's BUD POWELL ferchrisakes!!! That being said, I'll be passing on these for reasons stated in another thread. They're going to have to issue something I don't already have in some form in order to get my business. I'm not opposed to them remastering items already available, I'm just not interested in paying for them at this point.

Okay, I've got four of the five in their older editions. I gave them all a spin and here's my verdict:

I will buy Bud Powell, because I don't own it.

"Mode for Joe" sounds fine to me in its older version. Didn't someone say it needed a sonic upgrade? I find little to complain about regarding the sound. Will probably hang on to this one. It's a superb session all way round. Will be curious, however, to hear the new RVG to see what they might have improved.

"Let Freedom Ring" could use an upgrade, but I will be in no hurry to do so. It's not my favorite session, although the first track is great. I might upgrade it later on when I've got spare $$$. Have no problem keeping the older version for now.

"Search for a New Land" definitely needs to be upgraded. I will buy this one for sure.

I will also upgrade "Adam's Apple." Could probably survive with the older version, but it's such a great session. Would love to hear it all fixed up. This will be another buy.

That makes three out of the five, with another one to purchase down the road possibly.

Mode for Joe may be my favorite Joe of all, not only for the high level of playing by everyone (Lee has a couple entrances that make my chops hurt just listening to him!) but also for what I think are some amazing tunes by Joe as well as Lee and Cedar. A desert island choice for sure.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, but do YOU think it needs a sonic upgrade?

I know what you're saying, conn500, about re-buying CDs you already have just to get the "latest and best" version. I've purchased things like Kind of Blue and Blue Train so many times I don't want to think about it. I have to say, though, that for certain favorites I will take the plunge. So far I have been impressed with what I feel like is an improved sonic level on the RVG's. My first RVG was "Somethin' Else" and when I A/Bd it with the old version I definitely liked the RVG more. I'm certainly no audio expert and have a mid-line system, but I personally think that MFJ could stand some sonic goosing, so I'll probably get it. It's certainly a subjective area- many here think the RVGs suck (I agree that some are better than others). The pot is always sweetened with alternate takes, but I think we've heard all there is to be heard from the MFJ session, so that's not an issue.