Torme + Shearing Complete Concorde cd set

Dmitry

Saw this one locally for $35. 7 cds, I believe. What's your assessment of the set?

I saw that set once (used) for about the same price. I was tempted, but I didn't pull the trigger. IMO, it might be too much of a good thing, in a way.

Now please, don't anybody prove me wrong- I don't want to regret passing up such a great deal. :D

The way I would take that statement is. . . if you know any Torme, Shearing, and the Concord label this set would be as you would expect it to be. . . .

Me. . . I'd steer clear.

Thanks, Lon. I used to have a Torme at the fujitsu Jazz Festival Concorde cd that I just donated to the local library. Didn't do it for me...he plays decent drums though!

Sure, but keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

Torme is somebody whose chops I have the highest respect for, but I don't care for the use to which he puts them. A few of the old things are ok, but that's it. By this stage of the game, he wore his "hipness" way too conspicuously for my comfort.

Shearing is somebody who has never done it for me in any form or fashion. Again, great chops, very tasty within his realm, but NMCOT, as they say. One man's taste is another man's bland, I suppose.

And Concord is a label that far more often than not has been for me the musical equivalent of the "flavor remover" that Woody Allen used to joke about his mother using on her cooking. The Land/Mitchell thing is the only Concord side that comes to mind that doesn't fit that description. Even the Neil Swainson side w/Woody Shaw & Joe Henderson sounds like it had some kind of emotional filter put on it somewhere. They just seem to "whiten up" most all their stuff somehow, and have from the git-go.

Put it all together and...

Again, that's just me.

Edited by JSngry

I've never heard any Torme that I like better than the Bethlehem stuff!

I've been hearing some cuts off that Swings Shubert Alley side on Music Choice's "Singers & Standards" channel, and I don't know if it's just that that's often what I put on to fall asleep to, but it seems like a really tasty piece of work.

But too often (and for too long), Torme seems to me to have been the kind of guy who wore a tuxedo because he thought he deserved to wear one. And all that that implies.

If you know what I mean.

I know what everybody means (that's why they call me Kreskin a lot :) ), but it occurs to me that I own a lot of Concord stuff. Much of it is guitar players (Burrell, Farlow, Bickert, etc), and much of it is the Maybeck material, but there are also some good titles by Art Farmer, Stan Getz, JJ (love his "Vivian" CD), etc. Anyway, my Concord mileage has been okay (but then I do have superior taste). <_<:rolleyes::bad:

Point taken, but my POV is that almost everybody who's been good on Concord has been (or might well have been) even better somewhere else.

Yeah, but I thought we all agreed we were going to be rabid, possessed, uncontrollably obsessive/compulsive jazz fanatics and buy everything in sight. Did I not get the memo here? :unsure:

;)