Charles Lloyd

catesta

For those who don't keep up with Mosaic, they just anounced a new "singles" program - single albums, that is. Coming in the first batch in April/May is:

(MCD-1006) Charles Lloyd: Of Course, Of Course

This album was recorded in May 1964 and March 1965, after Charles had left the Chico Hamilton fold, so these sessions were a welcome reunion for Gabor Szabo and him. The recording group was completed by another extraordinarily empathetic team, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. Bringing two of the most creative pairings in jazz together makes for a hell of a quartet. The album is as cohesive as it is varied. For this disc, the album was newly remixed from the original four-track tapes and includes three bonus tracks approved by the artist.

Forest Flower, which was a bona fide hit (and not a bad album either, although Dream Weaver is much meatier, I think)

I totally agree -- out of the quartet albums w/Jarrett & DeJohnette, I think Dream Weaver is the best. Just really good 60s jazz that covers all the bases, soul jazz to free.

As far as the more recent stuff on ECM, Jumping the Creek is quite good but there are several better ones. The Water Is Wide is a really nice ballads album; Voice in the Night and All My Relations are more up-tempo, straight-ahead in nature; and Canto (my favorite) has this really nice introverted vibe.

Guy

for what years specifically was lloyd inactive in music? what is the date of his last album in the 70s, + his 1st in the 80s? Why did he pick real estate as a 2nd carreer option? did he still practice the horn, or did he give up music alltogether during those years?

Guest akanalog

i have some 70s LPs which are ok.

some good players on them, like sonship, who i wish there was more of out there.

i think one of them might have the beach boys doing some harmonies?

waves.jpg

WAVES

Charles Lloyd

California: Prob. early to mid 1972

Charles Lloyd (ts); Gabor Szabo (g); Wolfgang Melz (b); Woodrow Theus II (d); Mayuto (aka Mailto Correa) (perc).

a. Harvest (Charles Lloyd) - 9:05

same, except Charles Lloyd (f).

b. Majorca (Charles Lloyd) - 6:09

Charles Lloyd (ts,vcl); Gabor Szabo; Roger McGuinn (g); Wolfgang Melz (el-b); Woodrow Theus II (d,per); Mayuto (aka Mailto Correa) (cga,perc); Mike Love, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, Billy Hinsche, Pamela Polland (vcl).

c. TM (Charles Lloyd) - 5:03

For what it's worth, Dan Morgenstern once told me that back in Lloyd's heyday, Dan had gone to Lloyd's hotel or motel room to do an interview with him. Lloyd answered the door and told Dan that it was too bad he hadn't come by a few minutes sooner because at that time he (i.e. Lloyd) had been levitating. Dan inquired further and determined to his satisfaction that Lloyd meant he said quite literally -- that it was not, for instance, a reference to the use of controlled or uncontrolled substances. In fact, as I recall, Dan asked Lloyd just how far off the ground he had been hovering, and Lloyd gave him a specific figure -- something fairly modest, I think, like six inches.

Doesn't everybody ?

For what it's worth, Dan Morgenstern once told me that back in Lloyd's heyday, Dan had gone to Lloyd's hotel or motel room to do an interview with him. Lloyd answered the door and told Dan that it was too bad he hadn't come by a few minutes sooner because at that time he (i.e. Lloyd) had been levitating. Dan inquired further and determined to his satisfaction that Lloyd meant he said quite literally -- that it was not, for instance, a reference to the use of controlled or uncontrolled substances. In fact, as I recall, Dan asked Lloyd just how far off the ground he had been hovering, and Lloyd gave him a specific figure -- something fairly modest, I think, like six inches.

Lloyd should hang with David Blaine. They could tune their levitation distances to adjust for any differences in their body heights, thus improving communication.

Edited by johnagrandy

who can share more ab0ut what the lloyd/beach boys collaboration is like.......are there actual lyrics, or are they just singing harmonies, etc...

I was sucessful in repressing this memory until you brought it up :lol: . Seriously,the only part I remember is something like "TM in the AM". As I recall there wasn't much substance to the lyrics unless you were a devotee of the movement. I pretty much avoided that one but listened to the work that he did on that album with Gabor Szabo minus any Beach Boys.

I was sucessful in repressing this memory until you brought it up :lol: . Seriously,the only part I remember is something like "TM in the AM". As I recall there wasn't much substance to the lyrics unless you were a devotee of the movement. I pretty much avoided that one but listened to the work that he did on that album with Gabor Szabo minus any Beach Boys.

As I recall, the lyrics went "TM (repeated a few times), In the AM, In the PM, Aaaahhh, Jai Guru Dev"

I kinda liked the track at the time, being a fan of the Beach Boys' lush harmony.

"Warm Waters" was severely marred, as I recall, by Lloyd's vocals, and the Beach Boys were less involved.