Advice sought on selling Selmer Mark VI alto

garthsj

I have decided to sell my Selmer Mark VI alto. (Circa 1973). Can anyone offer advice as to which online site is the best for this purpose. Or would I be better off trying to sell it locally through the classifieds? If i do try sell it online, how much information do I need to provide. The instrument is in great shape, but could probably do with a repadding. (I have not really played it much in the last 10 years). Should I have it repadded before trying to sell it, or let the buyer choose his or her own technician?

also, avoid Bob Ackerman -

:tup:tup

In Houston you might try to contact Warren Sneed at HSPVA. He's a saxophonist, and if none of his students is looking, he could probably steer you in the right direction.

In NYC recently, older MK VI's were going for $6-7K!!!

Yours might not be that valuable, but don't give it away. <_<

If you decide to put it online to sell, potential buyers will want to know the serial number (to verify age of the horn), and whether or not the horn has been re-lacquered. They will also want to see several photose with close-ups of any dings, dents or places that have been repaired (soldered).

As far as getting a repad prior to the sale: Unless the pads are unplayable, it would probably be more cost effective to have a good repair person just adjust and oil it. Getting some of the clicking and clacking out of the action will do wonders for getting the horn to sell.

Thanks for all the good information guys ... My model year sells for about $2,500 to $4,500 on Ebay, depending on condition, and seemingly a range of other often indeterminable factors, such as the time of the month, and somebody with money to spend. It really is quite variable. The sax has very few dings, still has about 60% of the original lacquer, and has no repair soldering. I guess I will have a technician put it into condition enough to sell it, and I will contact Warren Sneed, who I have met in the past.

I intend to use the money to upgrade my stereo system .. and I am hanging on to my clarinet and flute!

Edited by garthsj

I intend to use the money to upgrade my stereo system .. and I am hanging on to my clarinet and flute!

Or how 'bout this: You trade me the Mark VI for my almost-working Realistic turntable, a solid state Panasonic receiver and a pair of Craig 6x9 speakers taken out of my '75 Nova?

Can we met to effect the exchange in a parking lot somewhere in El Paso? Just name the place .. and could you throw in an extra cartridge for the turntable?

Thanks,

Garth.

Or how 'bout this: You trade me the Mark VI for my almost-working Realistic turntable, a solid state Panasonic receiver and a pair of Craig 6x9 speakers taken out of my '75 Nova?

Can we met to effect the exchange in a parking lot somewhere in El Paso? Just name the place .. and could you throw in an extra cartridge for the turntable?

Thanks,

Garth.

By "El Paso" I assume you really mean Juarez. :ph34r:

No need for the extra cartridge; I've been using the same cartridge and stylus for ages, and just recently taped an extra dime on the tone arm so it won't skip on my warped records.

I'm a bit amused at the references to Bob Ackerman here. I knew him well (enough) during his time in Dallas but have long since lost touch with him. I can only assume that he's, uh.... deepened in his manner in the intervening years... ;)

Years ago, my girlfriend's Mark VI alto got ripped off. She bought another one from Ackerman, and after purchasing the horn, we were looking more closely and saw the name of a California Junior College lightly engraved (almost rubbed out) on the bell. Checked with the college confirmed that they had lost an alto. We called Ackerman and he seemed not to be worried that he had sold a stolen horn. (We thought it was bad karma to replace one stolen horn with another). After MUCH haggling, he agreed to give her a different alto, and implied that he would just finish rubbing the school engraving off the bell and sell it to someone else. He's a sweetie!