Charlie Rouse - "Takin Care of Business"

sal

So my local used CD store all of a sudden got a boatload of OJC's that were in great condition and selling for only $5.99 each. I bought 5 of them, and I think that this one might be my favorite. Rouse is KILLING on this...probably the best I've heard him play on record, and Blue Mitchell solos are beautiful. Such a tight, compact album....I love it. As much as I love the classic Blue Note sessions, there's something about these sessions on Riverside, Prestige, etc. that has such a loose, relaxed jam session feel to them. The musicians really shine in these settings. Lets hope this music will always remain availiable.

So my local used CD store all of a sudden got a boatload of OJC's that were in great condition and selling for only $5.99 each. I bought 5 of them, and I think that this one might be my favorite. Rouse is KILLING on this...probably the best I've heard him play on record, and Blue Mitchell solos are beautiful. Such a tight, compact album....I love it. As much as I love the classic Blue Note sessions, there's something about these sessions on Riverside, Prestige, etc. that has such a loose, relaxed jam session feel to them. The musicians really shine in these settings. Lets hope this music will always remain availiable.

Probably my favorite Charlie Rouse - apart from Monk

It really works for me too, I just love this set up and there are sooooooo many little gems like this in the Riverside and Prestige vault that have been dug up and even more left in there still to come out.

Then there are all the one offs by strangers who hooked up with BN regulars for their first solo date and were never seen again.

I have a fair size OJC collection and got loads through emusic ( including this one if I remember) and really enjoy em

Andy

It really works for me too, I just love this set up and there are sooooooo many little gems like this in the Riverside and Prestige vault that have been dug up and even more left in there still to come out.

Fully agreed! Especially the Riversides are, IMHO, rather underestimated compared to the Blue Notes - I think the Blue Note cult sometimes borders on fetishism. Those Riversides has everything the Blue Notes had, great musicians and tunes, good production and planning, great writing and concepts, and I often like the sound better. If only the tapes were in a little better condition, but new remastering should work wonders here.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to another thread I've been listening to a lot of Blue Mitchell albums, and I kept getting the urge to put Mitchell on the CD-changer along with this album (Takin' Care of Business)----of course, Blue Mitchell's on here as well, and in top form. Sometimes my subconscious works better than my upper mind.

• 2 weeks later...