Herbie Hancock's 1982 Columbia lp

briefly looked at a copy of this-- its called "lite" something or another-- im sure the synth programmings good but i wasnt in the mood to get it today, however i noticed herb didnt write ANY of the songs on it!!!! did herbie go through a lazy period-- i dont understand why herbie would wanna release an album chock full of other peoples composistions-- HERBIE of all people!!

Lite Me Up! (1982)

This is more of a Rod Temperton record than a Hancock record: Temperton wrote six of the eight tunes (two co-written with Hancock), and the production is pure unadulterated pop with no jazz influence at all. This is of no value if you aren't a fan of Quincy Jones-style pop R&B; if you are, it's passable, with abysmal lyrics and zero innovation but a few enjoyable tunes like "Get To The Good Part." Most of the vocals are by smooth crooner Wayne Anthony - Hancock uses vocoder on a few tracks, but his contribution is generally confined to brief, unilluminating solos ("The Bomb"). Produced by Hancock, except for the schlocky "Paradise" co-written and produced by Jay Graydon, and one track produced by Narada Michael Walden. There are a zillion session players, including Temperton/Jacksons/Jones associates like bassist Louis Johnson and guitarist David Williams; plus Toto, Abe Laboriel, etc. Patti Austin contributes some backing vocals, and Patrice Rushen adds vocoder. (DBW)

http://www.warr.org/hancock.html#LiteMeUp

herbiehancock185897.jpg

abe laborel, n TOTO? i totally have to go back and get that. no no i am not going to sit down with a glass of port and listen to it on the hi-fi, i'm going to save it for our next party and use it as the secret weapon.....

briefly looked at a copy of this-- its called "lite" something or another-- im sure the synth programmings good but i wasnt in the mood to get it today, however i noticed herb didnt write ANY of the songs on it!!!! did herbie go through a lazy period-- i dont understand why herbie would wanna release an album chock full of other peoples composistions-- HERBIE of all people!!

He released an album called "The New Standard" in 1995 that was chock full of other people's pop compositions. I don't know if he was being lazy at the time or not, but I enjoy this album for the most part. It's not groundbreaking, but a pleasant enough listen.

And he's gone through pop phases - like his current "Possibilities" and 1983's "Future Shock", which came out just after the one you mentioned.

He released an album called "The New Standard" in 1995 that was chock full of other people's pop compositions. I don't know if he was being lazy at the time or not, but I enjoy this album for the most part. It's not groundbreaking, but a pleasant enough listen.

And he's gone through pop phases - like his current "Possibilities" and 1983's "Future Shock", which came out just after the one you mentioned.

Yeah, but "New Standard" is a kind of a different thing. I think before the 80's "dark period" (:rolleyes:), he almost always wrote the material on his LPs. Of course there are a few exceptions, like a Ron Carter or a Buster Williams tune here and there, and who's to say if the 70's Headhunters stuff were written as a group (I think they're all credited solely to Hancock).

But as far as this LP is concerned musically - the word "weak" just isn't enough to describe it. :g

On the actual Head Hunters lp

1. Chameleon - P.Jackson-H.Mason-B.Maupin-H.Hancock

2. Watemelon Man - H.Hancock

3. Sly - H.Hancock

4 Vein Melter - H.Hancock

Anybody have Head Hunters "Evolution Revolution" from 2003 ? No Herbie, but many of the original Head Hunters members ... which is kindof interesting because "Survival of the Fittest" 30 years before was also Herbie-less (although he produced it).

I'm trying to figure if these are worth buying.

Edited by johnagrandy