Torino Olympics 2006 thread

Dmitry

Gold medal in the men's downhill went to Frenchman Antoine Dénériaz which seems to have stunned almost everybody including favorites Michael Walchhofer and Bode Miller except his fans and Dénériaz himself.

Dénériaz prepared his Olympic race very thoroughly and was confident enough of his victory that he had champagne ordered yesterday to celebrate his win.

Dénériaz won with a near prefect run!

Let's play La Marseillaise :w

Surprise win for 19-year old Ireen Wüst on the 3,000 metres speed skating for women. First gold medal for the Netherlands :tup

I watched this event. She was superb.

Yes that was pretty amazing as she set that time with plenty of favourites still to start. None of them managed to beat her though. Great performance. The equally young & Dutch bloke Sven Kramer was less lucky when he had to set the time with all of the favourites yet to start and ended up with a silver medal on the 5000, beaten only by Chad Hedrick though. That's some promise for the future.

Men's skating over 500m was amazing again. It's great seeing these two types: the small guys that keep their weight close to the ice and who hurry through the final inner curve like nothing else and the big muscular blokes who have to fight their weight and the g-forces with their heavy muscles.

I just watched about an hour of the curling match (? is that the correct term?) between the USA and Finland. No matter how many times I watch this sport, the announcers always call it as if all of the viewers are not only serious curling fans, but curling experts. They talk and talk about various options on a given throw (?), but they never explain anything in terms of what these options mean or how they will affect the overall strategy. I haven't even seen them explain how points are scored. I know I could research all of this myself, but it would be nice if they would adjust the commentary just a bit for the viewers (who must be the vast majority) that tune in who are not familiar with the sport. I think this is a very interesting sport to watch, considering the complex levels of strategy and the the amount of skill involved.

Other random thoughts...

Bode Miller- "I would have finished second if I hadn't made a couple of mistakes". :unsure: Yeah, and if we had some ham, we could have ham & eggs- if we had some eggs. :rolleyes:

Apollo (Oh, NO!!) Ohno- "I haven't seen the replay yet, but I think he bumped me with his hip...". Uh, noooo, YOU reached down and touched HIS skate. Bad move. Oh well, there's always 2010 (train for four more years and try again). :rolleyes:

Chad Hedrick- If you're going to sing the national anthem on the medal stand, at least learn SOME of the words (in the correct order). :lol:

Dick Button- "Oh, that's beautiful. Look at the LINE." :unsure:What fucking line? Thank god they've put more emphasis on the technical, and less on the artistic. Maybe now they can only screw up half as often in the judging.

One of best things about the olympics is that it allows me to enjoy the sport of hockey, without the thuggery.

Luge is an incredibly fast and exciting sport... for the person on the sled. -_-

Ski jumping rules. :cool:

Apollo (Oh, NO!!) Ohno- "I haven't seen the replay yet, but I think he bumped me with his hip...". Uh, noooo, YOU reached down and touched HIS skate. Bad move. Oh well, there's always 2010 (train for four more years and try again). :rolleyes:

Really? Boo f@#$ing hoo, then, Apollo.

Also, who cares if an American skier finished 19th AND it's a significant progress for him. NBC should concnetrate on the winners at least as much as they do on the losers.

Other random thoughts...

Bode Miller- "I would have finished second if I hadn't made a couple of mistakes". :unsure: Yeah, and if we had some ham, we could have ham & eggs- if we had some eggs. :rolleyes:

Bode Miller would not miss(take) a Saturday night out and was seen downing beers past midnight in Sestrieres.

Any wonder he did not do well in the downhill race a few hours later? :eye::eye:

Why do the medals have big holes in them?

The real reason is probably that they wanted to create something distinctive that would make them unique for Torino. The designers tell us that the reason is that they wanted to express the feeling of the open spaces within the Italian piazzas (sp?).

I actually like the design.