1. Family Affair

2. Luv 'n' Haight

3. Poet

4. You Caught Me Smilin'

5. Runnin' Away

6. Brave & Strong

7. Just Like a Baby

8. Thank You For Talkin' to Me, Africa

so I count three missing songs, 'Africa Talks to You "The Asphalt Jungle"', 'Time' and 'Spaced Cowboy'

Unacceptable. In terms of both sequencing and omission.

Incidentally, 'Essential' includes all but one track from 'Stand' in the original LP sequence (the omission being the epic stoned groove of 'Sex Machine') and six of the 11 tracks from 'Fresh' (curiously omitting Sly's- uh- idiosyncratic take on 'Que Sera, Sera')

Really, the original albums are so good if you're even curious about Sly you'll end up needing them.

A friend recorded the Grammy's on VHS.

Anyone know how far into the show is Sly's appearance ?

The show started at 8; the Sly tribute began just before 10; Sly appeared just after 10, so about 2 hours.

Thanks, Stereojack.

ContemporaryladySF:

"u might have 2 run your VTR at 1/4 speed to see him-----"

In other words....I shouldn't blink.

Went to the Grammys last night with a musician friend. Some reflections:

Just as all of you have said, the whole award process is a joke.

The show is over-produced and LOUD!

The graphics are incredible.

The stage set-up between acts is fast and extremely organized.

John Legend is the real thing.

As usual, jazz and classical get short shrift, with performances and presentations recorded earlier.

The tribute to Sly was over-produced with too musicians and singers onstage. BTW the drummer was Ndugu Chanceler. The music was very disorganized...BUT regardless of what he looked like and what he's been thru, when Sly came on he put the music on the one! He brought the whole groove together and we all felt it. It was palpable. And by the way, we could hear him there. It was the climax and everything after it anti-climatic. We just milled about in the lobby after that because there was nothing more to hear/see after that.

I thought John Legend's number was greatly overproduced. It's supposed to be Legend singing accompanied with his own piano playing. The video added strings and a harmonica at the end of the song, which gave it a very tender quality to an already very lovely song. The version on the Grammys was whack. It reminded of 1960's film soundtracks of cubular bands attempting to play rock and roll and sounding like Beyond the Vally of the Squares. It changed the way he sang the song. It sounded like a soulful Liberace. It smelled it was so bad, and I happen to love that song very much. I'm glad he won for best new artist. He is indeed in the real deal.

The whole show was a Las Vegas Revue starting with Madonna in a leotard and ending with Kanye West doing a bizarro channeling of Spike Lee's School Daze. The best parts of the Grammys was the very beginning with Gorillaz and the very ending with Alvin Toussaint's jam session. The jam was ragged but it had the most spontaneous feel of the entire evening.

Speaking of channeling, what about Christina Aguilera channeling Ethel Merman with a song that is supposed to be soft and heartfelt and not a marching band song? Aguilera was backed up by arguable the best band she'll ever have behind her and she sounded like she was singing "There's No Business Like Show Business." And I like Aguilera's voice but she obviously needs to work on how to use it. Ethel would have been proud. Herbie should have his head examined for letting her sing like a fishwife.

I have no comment about Sly. There are no words to describe such weirdery.

Well..I watched the tape of Sly.

My take: The wierdness (if you want to categorize it as such) was intentional. In a nutshell - I think Sly knew exactly what he was doing (maybe he's not as fried as we think?). I think it was a minimal effort to be sure, made for some reason we can only speculate about, but after reading this thread I was expecting a lobotomized zombie...and that's not what I saw. He knew exactly what he was doing. He did it and split. The accompaniement was noisy, self serving bullshit (I'm sure he knew that).

His physical appearance ? i.e. the mohawk,etc. That's what Sly thinks today's show biz wants. That's all that is.

Disappointing in the sense of what an appearance of Sly could have been was not realized.