PRINCE

randissimo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That shit was fucking killin' !

There are three rock musicians in history who weren't guitarists per se but who figured how to get everything and more they needed out of the instrument :

Jimi, Prince, and Kurt

Jimi Hendrix wasn't a guitarist per se? :blink: Per se who?

Yeah, I wanna hear the answer to this one. :rfr

There are three rock musicians in history who weren't guitarists per se but who figured how to get everything and more they needed out of the instrument :

Jimi, Prince, and Kurt

Because Jimi's guitar was continually incorporated into the story-telling aspect of his songs ... the guitar playing served as emphasizers, segues, rhythm and background, etc. underlying the story primarily told by his lyrics.

It's tough being the front man and the guitarist. How many great rock bands can you name in which the guitar genius was the front man ?

Edited by johnagrandy

Jimi, Prince, and Kurt

Because Jimi's guitar was continually incorporated into the story-telling aspect of his songs ... the guitar playing served as emphasizers, segues, rhythm and background, etc. underlying the story being primarily being told by his lyrics.

It's tough being the front man and the guitarist. How many great rock bands can you name in which the guitar genius was the front man ?

What do you mean by "front man"? Are you talking about the vocalist/ringmaster aspect, or simply the center of attention? ...in which case I'd say that Eric Clapton in any number of groups (esp. Cream, although that was a sort of co-op) fits the criteria. The "guitar genius as center of attention" isn't entirely uncommon among groups with a heavily improvisational bent (e.g., the Allman Brothers--and Duane was a point of emphasis, right?).

Only caught the first tune so far (still have the whole thing on tape though).

Compared to 99% of what you normally see on SNL -- last night it was pretty slammin'.

Not precisely my cup of tea, but way more so than not. :tup:tup

I went through a sort of Prince phase a bunch of years ago, probably circa 1992-94. Still have some bootlegs to prove it. Sure, not everything he's ever done has worked -- but at least he's (mostly) still tryin'. And I'll take anybody who isn't afraid to try new things (and/or weird old things) -- and strike out swingin' sometimes (even a bunch of times) --- over people who just stay with the same ol' formula for the sake of sales and/or radio-play.

Long live Prince. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt practically every time. :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Thanks for that link, John. Wow!

That look on Dhani Harrison's face while Prince is soloing is sweet.

Yeah it was. It was until Prince took over that Dhani started to really get into the song.

Hell, I could watch/listen to Prince play the guitar all day and not get bored. I don't care how much he apes Jimi; it'd be one thing if he wasn't a decent guitarist. But he's freakin' incredible! At least to these ears, anyway.

Check out this version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps from the 2004 R&R Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. He's not visible until almost halfway through the tune, but his solo at the end is amazing. Even better than the SNL clip.

Man, thanks for that clip!! Caught it when it aired the first time, and it was the highlight of the show. :tup:tup

Prince is a great showman, wonderful entertainer, clever tunesmith, babemagnet, and a fine guitarist. I would love to see him in concert. Never had the opportunity, but would welcome it for sure. To me, he is fun. To be in the studio audience at either event would have been sweet!

g

Check out this version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps from the 2004 R&R Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. He's not visible until almost halfway through the tune, but his solo at the end is amazing. Even better than the SNL clip.

Man, thanks for that clip!! Caught it when it aired the first time, and it was the highlight of the show. :tup:tup

Something's wrong with it. Keeps on stopping and starting.

Anyone got a link to a video of the 2nd SNL performance ?

Or, if you prefer, Freddie in top form in '85 doin' Cantelope Island with Joe, Herbie, Ron, and Tony.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Cantelope-Island?...ie%20hubbard%22

Edited by johnagrandy

Jimi, Prince, and Kurt

Because Jimi's guitar was continually incorporated into the story-telling aspect of his songs ... the guitar playing served as emphasizers, segues, rhythm and background, etc. underlying the story primarily told by his lyrics.

Kurt Cobain, a "guitar genius"?

Jimi, Prince, and Kurt

I said "wasn't a guitar genius per se" ... but effectively Kurt was a genius on the instrument. Why? Because his human expression was genius and it wouldn't have happenned without him composing/playing both the vocals and the guitar.

He had complex, deep, disturbing emotions and psychological disruptions and disturbances (that are shared by many) that he had to communicate, where vocals alone would not have sufficed. He succeeded in getting enough out of the guitar to achieve that communication.

And actually I'd almost get into an argument that some of his guitar work, like on Aero Zeppelin, was genius on a pure guitar basis alone. Don't gotta have Stevie Vai's chops to be a genius on the instrument, as Slash is ample proof.

Kurt Cobain a genius? I disagree. He opened the floodgates for teenage angst by filtering it through pre-Tommy Who and struck a nerve with kids tired of the dance-pop filler of the early 90's. That's not genius: that's just being in the right place at the right time. Today, he'd be just another nu-metal band angry at their dads because their not as successful as Creed.

Kurt Cobain a genius? I disagree. He opened the floodgates for teenage angst by filtering it through pre-Tommy Who and struck a nerve with kids tired of the dance-pop filler of the early 90's. That's not genius: that's just being in the right place at the right time. Today, he'd be just another nu-metal band angry at their dads because their not as successful as Creed.

Think what you like, but Cobain was the real deal... :cool:

I just watch the online clip of Prince on SNL and from a non-musician's point of view, he rocked. The tune was good, the set design was great...I really liked the waving flames...and the dancing back-up singers are a Prince signature. My favorite is at the end when he licks his finger and wipes his bangs back in his delicate way as if it was no big deal at all. I have been a closet Prince fan since the early 80's. It is great to see him on the scene again.

Edited by ophelia

I just watch the online clip of Prince on SNL and from a non-musician's point of view, he rocked. The tune was good, the set design was great...I really liked the waving flames...and the dancing back-up singers are a Prince signature. My favorite is at the end when he licks his finger and wipes his bangs back in his delicate way as if it was no big deal at all. I have been a closet Prince fan since the early 80's. It is great to see him on the scene again.

I'm glad you liked the set design, flames, dancing back-up singers...and when he licked his finger and wiped his bangs. That all adds up to great music.

Jimi, Prince, and Kurt

I said "wasn't a guitar genius per se" ... but effectively Kurt was a genius on the instrument. Why? Because his human expression was genius and it wouldn't have happenned without him composing/playing both the vocals and the guitar.

He had complex, deep, disturbing emotions and psychological disruptions and disturbances (that are shared by many) that he had to communicate, where vocals alone would not have sufficed. He succeeded in getting enough out of the guitar to achieve that communication.

And actually I'd almost get into an argument that some of his guitar work, like on Aero Zeppelin, was genius on a pure guitar basis alone. Don't gotta have Stevie Vai's chops to be a genius on the instrument, as Slash is ample proof.

SLASH??!!??! :rfr

:g

I'm glad you liked the set design, flames, dancing back-up singers...and when he licked his finger and wiped his bangs. That all adds up to great music.

You're right. You see, I'm a visual artist and I've married a musician. So I am always looking at what is being played as well as listening. I do think that is very important. Music is a visual medium no matter how you slice it.