Count Basie/Benny Carter "The Trot"

Can anyone on this site help me locate a recording of a wonderful piece that features in the Woody Allen film "Hannah and her Sisters"? According to the credits at the end, the title is "The Trot" by Benny Carter Performed by Count Basie & His Orchestra Courtesy of Roulette Records. I have searched the internet in vain for a CD (or indeed LP, I'd be happy with that) of this piece, and unfortunately, the soundtrack of "Hannah and her Sisters" is long since deleted from the catalogue.

Thanks

Stephen

Can anyone on this site help me locate a recording of a wonderful piece that features in the Woody Allen film "Hannah and her Sisters"? According to the credits at the end, the title is "The Trot" by Benny Carter Performed by Count Basie & His Orchestra Courtesy of Roulette Records. I have searched the internet in vain for a CD (or indeed LP, I'd be happy with that) of this piece, and unfortunately, the soundtrack of "Hannah and her Sisters" is long since deleted from the catalogue.

"The Trot" was originally on the Basie album "The Legend", released on the Roulette label in 1961. There was an early CD release - doubt if it's still in print.

"The Trot" was originally on the Basie album "The Legend", released on the Roulette label in 1961. There was an early CD release - doubt if it's still in print.

Thanks for that. I've tried looking on Amazon and what I have come up with is:

Audio CD (September 23, 1992)

Label: Capitol

ASIN: B000008AAR

Catalogue Number: 7590382567

The item is dscontinued, but if you are able to confirm that that is the correct album, I can ask them to search for it for me, or I can try to track it down elsewhere (any ideas where?). That would be a great help, thanks.

Stephen

The item is dscontinued, but if you are able to confirm that that is the correct album, I can ask them to search for it for me, or I can try to track it down elsewhere (any ideas where?). That would be a great help, thanks.

Stephen

This is probably the right album. Capitol currently owns the Roulette catalog.

• 3 years later...

Stephen

This is probably the right album. Capitol currently owns the Roulette catalog.

Hello Stephen -- did you find that recording? I am actually also another Stephen Cox, looking for same record! I am looking for a different track from it, "Goin On" which is also on the "Legend" Count Basie LP ("...from the pen of benny carter"). I haven't been able to find that recording anywhere else yet (other than on that 1962 LP). I was wondering if your search yielded a digital version of some sort (CD, mp3, etc)? If need be, I'll buy the LP and transfer it, but was hoping to find a 'native' digital version. Thanks!

Regards-Stephen Cox

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post, but sombody may still be interested.

Both 'The Trot' and 'Goin' On' are on a Giants of Jazz release from 1992: Count Basie and His Orchestra: The Music of Neal Hefti and Benny Carter. CD53040. Both tracks are from the same recording session: New York, October30-31, 1961. This seems a nice CD, having most of the Kansas City Suite on it, and eight Hefti songs that for some reason are all different to those on the Basie Plays Hefti album.

You'll find it on Amazon as "Music of Neal Hefti &" - not sure why they truncated it.