LF: Herb Ellis NOTHING BUT THE BLUES

Big Al

I picked up a used copy of the US Release from an Amazon Marketplace seller not too long ago. I was very lucky--clean, mint copy that looked like it had been unwrapped but never played nor handled. I just checked though (as I'm sure you have), and there are currently NONE available.

This is the kind of record label nonsense I just don't understand: This title is widely regarded as one of the best of its type from that era, and certainly as Ellis' masterpiece (AMG gives it 5 stars AND its check mark). And it's clearly in demand--NO used copies currently available through Amazon or Ebay. Yet Verve lets it go OOP (although it is available on iTunes, apparently). :rmad:

BTW, the US CD has 4 bonus tracks from a JATP show that adds to it's value over a Japanese reissue that'll likely stick to the original LP track listing.

What are the four bonus tracks?

4 tracks recorded in Paris in 1958 by the "JATP All-Stars," which were used in a French film soundtrack. Roy Eldridge and Stan Getz appear on the first of these, Coleman Hawkins on the second, Roy Eldridge on the third, and Dizzy Gillespie on the fourth. You can read about this release here.

Edited by Ron S

This is the kind of record label nonsense I just don't understand: This title is widely regarded as one of the best of its type from that era, and certainly as Ellis' masterpiece (AMG gives it 5 stars AND its check mark). And it's clearly in demand--NO used copies currently available through Amazon or Ebay. Yet Verve lets it go OOP (although it is available on iTunes, apparently). :rmad:

Well, there you have it. Costs them next to nothing, but generates a profit.

I'm in the same boat as spinlps, as I also picked up Ellis in Wonderland.

Yeah, I've looked all over and it is nowhere to be found.

The stupid thing is, I used to own this. Don't ask me why I sold/traded it. Must've thought I needed the money or something......

Anyway, any help y'all can give will be appreciated.

Found a copy listed on GEMM last night which, according to the listing, was added two weeks ago so there's a good chance it's still around (hopefully). I hate that about GEMM... I ordered it, but it still shows up on the site and can still be placed in someone else's shopping cart. :rmad:

I don't normally order stuff on GEMM, but I snooped around and the seller is a "real" B & M shop and has 2000+ positive feedbacks on ebay... $14 sealed. Picked up the James Clay / Fathead Newman OJC on vinyl as well as the OCD voices don't allow me to buy "just one." We'll see if either are actually available...

re: the iTunes listing: At least it's not listed as a Verve Vault title... so maybe there's hope for a repress?

Whoops... did I forget to mention that? :w

Yee-Hah... both items in stock and on their way!

Big Al, I was in Euclid over lunch today and they had Nothing But The Blues on Japanese reissue. It was either $9.99 or $19.99... can't remember.

The website sez it's on LP. Drat! :(