Sports / Finance: Tiger Woods' New $38 Million Crib

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sort of casually checking the score in between work things, and I see that Tiger is 1 down going into the 18th. What a crazy run these guys had, esp. Tiger with his bum knee. Then they go to Sudden Death and Tiger pulls it out. Wild. Well, the legend continues. He must be the greatest golfer of all time. Too bad it's not a real sport...

Too bad it's not a real sport...

Oh, it's a real sport all right... All you have to do is play it a few times and that becomes (sometimes painfully) clear!

Cheers,

Shane

I've never said its not a sporting competition. What golf isn't is an athletic competition. Sorry, but if the ball doesn't move til you hit it, and you must have total silence while doing so, it ain't a sport for athletes.

And anyone who remembers Nicklaus' commercial for American Express (Do you know me? Watch me butcher this volley) knows it has always been so. :g

those who deem it un-sporting or even un-athletic have never taken a $10 Nassau on that last putt, fluffed one up tight from a hump of overgrown hay to save bogey, chucked up a hole-in-one without it hitting anything but the cup, had to run down the fairway to spit fire at the guys who just hit into you without yelling fore or lecherously stare at the beer gal on the 13th hole while she unscrews a cold one.

and you must have total silence while doing so, it ain't a sport for athletes.

There is some truth to that. It ridiculous for Woods (and others) to go all squirelly at the sound of cameras whirring when other athletes are expected to perform in stadiums with 100,000 screaming fans going off the walls. The other thing is that on any given Sunday afternoon, half the players on the field in the NFL are playing with some sort of injury. Listening to the throng of excessively fawning sports suck-ups at the US Open going on and on and on and on about Tiger's hurt knee was nauseating ....'Ooo, Tiger just grimmaced... :o did you see that Mark Rolfing? Dotty what do you think? Any coments from you, Johnny, up there in the booth?'

those who deem it un-sporting or even un-athletic have never taken a $10 Nassau on that last putt, fluffed one up tight from a hump of overgrown hay to save bogey, chucked up a hole-in-one without it hitting anything but the cup, had to run down the fairway to spit fire at the guys who just hit into you without yelling fore or lecherously stare at the beer gal on the 13th hole while she unscrews a cold one.

Whaaaaaat??

Beer%20Cart%20Girls.jpg

casanova.gif

casanova.gif

casanova.gif

casanova.gif

casanova.gif

Competition is competition, whether you are throwing a ball, hitting it, trying to outbox your opponent or outmaneuver him on a chessboard. What difference does it make it it involves athletics? :eye:

In golf, no one is trying to stop you from doing what you're trying to do...just yourself. A different kind of skill/test/competition, but not a "Sport". A game, recreation, good-walk-spoiled, but not a "Sport" unless you're Happy Gilmore.

Competition is competition, whether you are throwing a ball, hitting it, trying to outbox your opponent or outmaneuver him on a chessboard. What difference does it make it it involves athletics? :eye:

In golf, no one is trying to stop you from doing what you're trying to do...just yourself. A different kind of skill/test/competition, but not a "Sport". A game, recreation, good-walk-spoiled, but not a "Sport" unless you're Happy Gilmore.

So, you are defining what qualifies as a "sport" by whether or not someone is trying to stop you from what you're trying to do?

What??? "Sport" is reserved for those activities where someone is "trying to stop you from doing what you're trying to do"? I've got to say, I've never heard that definition of sport before!

Hell, if we go with that definition, half the events at the Olympics will need to go, as they wouldn't be classified as actual "sports"... actually, more than half (track events, field events, archery, swimming, diving, gymnastics, rowing, shooting, etc.... I think you get the picture).

By any definition typically accepted in the world of kinesiology, golf is indeed a sport.

Cheers,

Shane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tixs are $25 for today's practice round

Tiger should be out there this AM since he was a no show yesterday

The last day to bring in a camera and take photos

The new hotel / golf course is off the charts

I heard that Tiger might own a house in the area

He did a press conference last week and i guess he has stayed in town since then