Sports / Finance: Tiger Woods' New $38 Million Crib

While I have a great deal of respect for Wood's skill level, this business of getting all pissy (he & Williams) at half the tee boxes, etc is really getting a bit tiring. :tdown Wood's old man raised him (supposedly?) to blot out everything and go into the zone to get the job done....yet here's Williams, at half the tee boxes & a few greens/fairways, chewing someone out for having some stupid little cam phone??? Come on! Some college QB is supposed to complete the pass with 100,000 fans screaming in the stadium. Same for the guy at the free throw line......or 'Joe' outfielder who's supposed to take the 95 mph fast ball coming down the pike with 50,000 people yelling their heads off. And here's Woods getting all rattled at what? What's little fancy pants Williams gonna do next? ...start shooting at birds that have the gall to chirp while Tiger is addressing the ball? Ultimately, despite the fact I love the game...these guys aren't in the same class as athletes who take punishment on the field (or in the mountains)......with boatloads of fans screaming away.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said they were athletes?

Like jockeys and race car drivers, golfers are about as athletic as me, man-boobs and all.

Now that isn't to say that Tiger's not an athlete, but he grew up playing sports and he's a young guy. Anyone remember Jack's Amex commercial where he's playing tennis? That's the level of athletic skill of virtually every golfer.

While I have a great deal of respect for Wood's skill level, this business of getting all pissy (he & Williams) at half the tee boxes, etc is really getting a bit tiring. :tdown ... What's little fancy pants Williams gonna do next? ...start shooting at birds that have the gall to chirp while Tiger is addressing the ball?

:rofl:

:tup Well put and thanks for that!

• 2 weeks later...

Why Woods' opponents can't bear to watch

By JIM LITKE, AP Sports Columnist

August 21, 2006

MEDINAH, Ill. (AP) -- The greatest front-runner in the history of sports was standing over a 10-footer for birdie and even though it was only the first hole, playing partner and co-leader Luke Donald couldn't bear to watch.

Tiger Woods has that effect on a lot of people.

Donald tried staring off in the distance first, beyond the green and down the second fairway, then over at the tee to his left. Finally, he dropped his gaze and locked in on his shoes. A heartbeat later, Donald's worst fears were confirmed by a roar from the gallery.

There were still 17 holes left to play Sunday afternoon, but Donald already knew what everybody else scattered around the course would learn a moment later, when another red number popped up alongside Woods' name on the leaderboard.

The PGA Championship was over.

For the 12th time in as many tries, Woods left the clubhouse in a major with at least a share of the 54-hole lead and picked up the trophy upon his return.

"I felt like once I took the lead there," Woods recalled about No. 1, "if I just played the holes correctly, played the par-5s well, then there's no reason I couldn't maintain the lead."

Like Donald, his opponents knew it, too. A day earlier, in fact, mindful of Woods' perfect record as a closer, a handful of them lingered near the 18th green, hoping Donald's birdie putt would drop so the Englishman would have the final-day lead all to himself. When it didn't, a tough, up-and-coming Australian named Geoff Ogilvy said what a lot of them were thinking: Even Woods is bound to kick one away some day.

"You know he's not going to go his whole career, hopefully," Ogilvy said, then paused to let the laughter die down, "leading after three rounds and winning."

No sooner had he given voice to that sentiment than a few other golfers seized on it like some kind of mantra.

"There's always a time to stop the streak," Mike Weir said, "so, hopefully, I can do it."

"He'll have people expecting him to win," echoed Donald, "so maybe I can use that to my advantage and just kind of sneak by without anyone noticing and pick up the trophy tomorrow."

No such luck.

A month ago at the British Open, though the course and the conditions couldn't have been more different, Woods destroyed his competition the same way.

At Royal Liverpool, he had to hit irons off most tees and his approaches off fairways so parched that they were as hard as the runways at nearby John Lennon Airport. Over there, it was all about low-trajectory shots and controlling how the ball rolled, figuring which angles would keep him out of bunkers and yield the straightest putts across rock-hard greens.

Here at Medinah Country Club, he teed off with fairway woods to cut the holes down to a manageable length, then ripped divots the size of a toupee from the lush fairways to make sure those high-flying darts he threw stuck close to the flag.

The result in both places: 18-under, and another piece of hardware for the trophy case back home.

But Woods has won majors by grinding out pars, by beating back challenges from a familiar cast of characters -- anybody remember the other names of the so-called "Big Five" from a few years ago? -- and holding off guys having the round of their life, like Bob May at the PGA a half-dozen years ago.

There have been only a handful of athletes who just can't be beat and Woods hardly suffers in any comparison with the only two of this era, Michael Jordan and Lance Armstrong. By winning his 12th major, he leaves Walter Hagen behind and only Jack Nicklaus and his 18 majors ahead, and the day Woods breezes past the Golden Bear seems less a matter of if than how soon.

When Woods won here in 1999, it was only his second major and the last challenger to fall away was a young Sergio Garcia. Since then, he's exposed one pretender to his throne after another -- Vijay Singh, Ernie Els, Retief Goosen and most recently, Phil Mickelson (answer to the Big Five question above). And it's only getting harder identifying the next golfer willing to take him on.

In Woods' 12 wins from the front, something like five dozen opponents have started the final day within five shots of the lead and less than 10 have come back with a round in the 60s. The aggregate score for the group, in fact, is right around 73. Donald became Exhibit A on this Sunday by shooting 74.

"You know," Donald said, "he could have made four or five bogeys out there, but he only made one in the end. He just kind of willed the ball in the hole."

The more dominant Woods has become, the more often he gets asked whether he's beating the field that badly, or the field is simply beating itself. He got that question one more time.

"I'm not going to answer," Woods said. "I like the way things are now."

Which is exactly what has everybody else so nervous.

"It will happen eventually," Garcia said. "It's going to happen. I mean, he's not going to be 68 years old and in the final round of a major and tied for the lead and he wins.

"It's going to happen, eventually," the Spaniard repeated, as if to convince himself. "We'll see when."

When, indeed.

Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke@ap.org

Not knocking Tiger in the least and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up setting the record for most majors, but I don't think it's automatic. I think the biggest danger to him would probably be a shoulder injury or back pain developing as he ages. Or who knows, maybe he'll mellow or not golf enough to stay as deadly sharp as he is now if he becomes a father.

But the other thing to consider is that right now there's probably a teenager out there who will become very competitive as Tiger goes into his mid-to-late 30s. It wouldn't take a golfer as great as Tiger or Jack to mess with Tiger's assault on the record. It'd just take another Tom Watson. Nicklaus finished 2nd to Watson in 2 Masters, 1 U.S. Open, and 1 British Open. If Tom Watson didn't exist Jack may have had 4 more majors. Somewhere down the line the best golfer after Tiger's prime will come along. Whether that guy and a few others in the future become tough enough competitors, just have to wait & see.

I think Tiger now needs a trophy room bigger than my house.

Just think that a couple of years back people were writing about Tiger's slump and how he was beatable, and now they're all terrified of him again, which gives him at least +3 in the head games that are a major part of golf.

Has Dan Bern's "Tiger Woods" been mentioned in this thread?

Here's a sample of the lyrics, full set is here.

"I got big balls

Big old balls

Big as grape fruits

Big as pumpkins

Yes sir, yes sir

and on my really good days

they swell to the size of small dogs

my balls are as big as small dogs

well it ain't braggin' if it's true

yes sir, yes sir

Muhammad Ali said that

back when he was a young man

back when he was cassius clay

before he fought too many fights

and left his brain inside the ring

and sometimes I wish I was Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods"

It continues about a friend and a certain dream he has about Madonna that comes true. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I guess Dan Bern didn't become "the next Bob Dylan" either.

So what? Has your life been improved?

Bird, Duke, Basie, Dodds, Cecil, Ornette, Rollins, Miles, etc have done that for me. Tiger? Is his play that important to you?

Don't mean that as a challenge but a serious question.

...doesn't change my life any but a remarkable run.

Agreed, but.........................

Go Tiger.

So what? Has your life been improved?

Bird, Duke, Basie, Dodds, Cecil, Ornette, Rollins, Miles, etc have done that for me. Tiger? Is his play that important to you?

Don't mean that as a challenge but a serious question.

Chuck,

Has my life improved by watching Tiger Woods? Sure it has! I can appreciate the aesthetic beauty of his swing, just as I can appreciate the beauty in the movements of any skilled dancer, artist, or musician. Plus, I think we can all learn from his mental toughness... the man is as mentally strong as they come.

And, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a successful role model who happens to be African-American/Asian... and doing amazingly well in a sport traditionally dominated by affluent white males. His charity work is something to be applauded, as well. The social implications/ramifications of Tiger are powerful, indeed!

I get goosebumps sometimes when I watch Tiger play... and it's the same goosebumps I get when I hear Bird or Sonny Rollins or Oliver Lake soar off into the atmosphere on one of their incredible solos. Beauty is beauty, and I appreciate it when I find it!

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!